Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: cheap and simple RC sub/dorsal fin project  (Read 54104 times)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: cheap and simple RC sub/dorsal fin project
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 05:49:29 pm »

My "cheap" robbe sea wolf kit (80 quid off a member of this site) stands me at over 400.... Not including the tx and servos
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2014, 06:31:53 pm »

Cost will always ratchet up quickly if you have to buy in submarine specific items, especially hardware. Subs only remain relatively inexpensive if you can make the majority of items yourself, and then that only applies if you really know what you're doing.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2014, 07:36:25 pm »

And don't I know it!

Poor old Paul, only wanted to tow a shark behind his Orca...he must have spent a fortune by now!

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 09:06:08 pm »

And don't I know it!

Poor old Paul, only wanted to tow a shark behind his Orca...he must have spent a fortune by now!

Rich

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rubber-Great-White-Shark-Squeaky/dp/B00IN4GJ6O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403294695&sr=8-1&keywords=rubber+shark

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2014, 11:01:24 pm »

as usual Rich, rc stuff suck the wallet dry {:-{

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2014, 10:28:17 am »

Looking at the first post in this thread, it looks to me like you don't really require a submarine, but more a model boat with a very low waterline.

Therefore an old 2-channel 27mhz set will probably, suffice. Remove all the hydroplanes, and mount any lead ballast in a keel as low as you can go. This will stabilize the boat very well.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2014, 06:57:23 pm »

no toys thanks peeps, I have done the towing thing, and its rubbish, the "fin" has to operate as a stand alone rc unit, diving to the depth of the fin, so going underwater away from sight, and capable of turning, otherwise its not worth bothering with, then it can "sail" in its own right. It cant be that difficult to do this ! I am sure I will get there, but still waiting for a tx to turn up from somewhere, reluctant to buy from an unknown source on ebay as I will probably end up with another useless tx!

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2014, 07:19:52 pm »

I'll give 10/10 for determination, Paul, and that's for sure. I may have a two channel tx/rx on 27mhz coming next week, but that's not a lot of good to you. I'll have a look round and see what I can come up with for you, there must be something floating about for a reasonable price somewhere.

Rich
Rich

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2014, 11:22:49 pm »

I WILL beat this, some time soon, you will see a video of the boat, with the fin circling, and Quint recanting his tale of the USS Indianapollis, quite a movie milestone, and very political at the time (you need to know the Jaws film to get this!)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2014, 10:56:22 pm »

Well I have now glass clothed the fins, every time I fiddled with it one fell off, but the transmitter remains elusive, so I have listed some junk on ebay to try and raise some cash to buy a new one! :}

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2014, 07:17:38 am »

I have a complete new in box Multiplex Pico line set. Comes with two servos and rx, although it'll work just fine with the Corona rx too.

Nice no frills little set

Only ever been out of the box to give the batteries a charge. £50 plus postage.

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Association of Model Submariners
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2014, 08:46:34 am »

Hi Red181,

I know and love (+ terrified by!) the film well. What was the significance of his speech about the USS Indianapolis? Was the atom bomb part of the significance?

Good luck with a difficult project.

David

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2014, 08:59:33 am »

Paul, if you can manage with a Futaba 2 channel radio, I have one here which you are more than welcome to. It's an old Medallion 27mHz, 2 channel transmitter and receiver, plus a set of yellow crystals...it works perfectly well.

Rich

Rich

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2014, 10:32:26 pm »

sub

Thanks for the offer, I have some stuff listed as of yesterday on the bay to generate funds, I will have to see how they go

Rich

cheers mate, you come to the rescue again, bhut I need 3 channel for throttle, rudder and planes, many thanks for offer though!

Davy

The speech about the Indianapolis was quite controversial back in the 70's, and it went somewhat unnoticed at the time of the film, sort of under the radar. When building the Orca, I found a website devoted to the Orca, and the shark that was nicknamed Bruce. It was very informative, and had a very active forum, with pictures that never made the film, plus a load of other info. The idesa was to create funds to rebuild the wreck of the Orca that had been found, with other props. The hope was that another film would appear, but obviously better than the dreadful films that followed the original. I even got the original paint codes from Universal pictures via this website, unfortunately I didn't visit it for some time when the boat was finished, then I lost it, the link died. Amway, much was said about the speech, It was the boat that followed the bomb, which itself was an atrocity, and all the sailors that died in the water, eaten by sharks, it was almost saying it was wrong what happened, and stared when the 3 characters where comparing scars etc, "Quint" has the tattoo of the boat, and so on. Wish I could direct you to the site, it was very interesting, it wasn't known if Robert Shaw put this in, or Spielberg

http://www.empireonline.com/features/quint-uss-indianapolis-speech/

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Association of Model Submariners
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2014, 09:17:37 am »

Thanks for that. Just reading the speech again makes me shiver! And when you give it to a great actor like Robert Shaw - Magic !  (He died much too early.)

I remember now seeing a programme about the USS Indianapolis - the scandal was that the US took so long to initiate a search. Whether it was c**k up or conspiracy is not known.

Thanks and good luck with the project for the Mini-Bruce!

David

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2014, 05:21:54 pm »

its had a coat of paint now, and fins glass clothed, I am gong to tinker with a linkage from working rear planes to front planes, to help out a bit with the constant diving. I have searched you tube etc, cant find an example of this sub working, has anybody seen one work? I am sure bit does.

I was asked today, regarding the range issue, have I tried another xtal? Hmmm... no, don't even know if I have one, but worth a go, I checked over tx again, re-soldered aerial wire inside, and cleaned everything up, but no improvement, and no sign of another tx, but the xtal idea is worth pursuing :-))

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2014, 05:47:15 pm »

just spotted a tx in sales section, hopefully its mine, so we can get on with this albatross of a project! :((

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2014, 11:02:18 pm »

PROGREES!! :}

New transmitter and receiver fitted, and its back to the lake. The synthesised corona rx, used once, £20, has blown up, I wired it wrong {:-{ It was quite spectacular, another £20 wasted, but good news, I now have a surface running rc dorsal fin, well at least nearly, I need some serious submarine experienced help here.
Firstly, the rear planes have no effect at all, maybe not enough travel, although they look ok, or not enough surface area. The sub needs to be very nose light, sitting at 30degrees tail down when stationary, then a few clicks of throttle and it will surface run reasonably level, anything over that slow speed, it dives, regardless what the rear planes are doing. I tried with and without static front planes, still the same . After a while I sort of mastered something of a running speed, letting it dive, off the throttle, it surfaces (seems to take ages, I am not used to having a  model disappear!) then bobs up anywhere really! :} Rudder has little effect, the turning circle is like a train. Ballast seems to be a real art to get right, its almost on the verge of tail light when running, in spite of the angle at rest, when it does want to dive, the prop is sometimes leaving the water.
I wonder if a leveller will have any effect, once its over slow speed, and diving, its straight down, input from planes does nothing, you have to cut the throttle and wait for the natural floatation, if its gone too deep up comes all the gunge and weed attached to the nose, which slows the ascent.

So nearly there, its tweaking now. I am still thinking of linking the from planes to the rear, what do you think?

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2014, 03:43:00 pm »

Its like flashbacks to 1988!
Everything you describe sounds like my shark Edwina from back in the day. Diving when she wanted, anything above half throttle and she would dive, surfacing who knows where, muddy nose, no idea what she had been up to under there :}

Welcome to the RC Shark Club, "Something Fishy This Way Comes...."
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2014, 03:59:47 pm »

Fantastic!  I am not alone!! but with a name such as yours did you sort it?  :-) technology today you would think this simple task would be achievable.  If you cant do it I have no chance! M <:(yesterday it dived quickly and. Was ages coming back.up or at least it felt ages.  When it appeared it had a whole field attached to the nose!

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2014, 04:01:39 pm »

By heck Alan, I remember that beast! Makes me feel old seeing that again!

Maybe I should build one...

Rich
Rich

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2014, 05:01:44 pm »

My fifth model should never have been a shark...even funnier was watching it roll belly up and lay in the water like a dead thing.
Making it work properly, I would defer to the sub experts on getting yours to function properly. I had to runn with the forward fins deflected all the way to surface to keep her on the surface. As soon as the planes went horizontal the model would speed up and the flow of water over the sharks head would act as a down pitched hydroplane and she was off!
No rear hydroplanes were fitted on mine...will get it right next time %)
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2014, 05:07:05 pm »

I've got a Trumpeter Seawolf kit which may make into a half decent shark...hmm.

Or...an old Revell Skipjack. Hmm...

Rich
Rich

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2014, 06:45:44 pm »

Just found these pics...cheap and cheerful shark fins.

Rich
Rich

tattooed

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2014, 08:00:48 pm »

started laying up the blue foam to make the mould for my one today rich  :-))
if it looks right and your happy with it then it is right
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.