Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model boat shows - Jumping through hoops for 'The Man'.  (Read 3232 times)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Model boat shows - Jumping through hoops for 'The Man'.
« on: June 11, 2014, 09:44:02 am »

Following an unexpected development locally, I would be interested to know what 'hoops' clubs have to jump through for the pleasure of putting on events for fellow modellers and the public? Councils, land owners, Nimbys and the like. Can you stage an event without too much outside interference or are you having to fill in endless forms, risk assessments, costs etc etc?
Lets hear your glowing endorsments and, I suppose, the odd horror story.....
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model boat shows - Jumping through hoops for 'The Man'.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 12:08:50 pm »

as a member of an astronomy club we have encountered the instruction when putting on events at 'dark' sites (sites with little or no light pollution) that footways on the site must be lit using floodlighting) which makes the use of a dark site pretty pointless.
Grendel

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 07:47:36 pm »

I have had no trouble putting on shows for Liverpool City Council I have arranged two shows for them,  one for the Battle of the Atlantic and one this coming weekend for The International Mersey River Festival.  All I have had to provide is a risk assessment and get a copy of all exhibitors public liability insurance for them.
Joe

Liverpool M.B.C. Committee Member.
Vice Chair The Model Boat Convention.

:-)) :-)) :-))
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 09:51:37 pm »

Colwyn Bay MBC is fortunate enough to have a Licence that includes many permissions including events in the park, we merely send them a copy of our Events Diary each January and that satisfies the Licence conditions and so there is no paperwork at all.

In reality it goes much further than that, we are on first name terms with all the Managers and they bend over backwards to allow us to operate. Our Council views tourism as it's major industry and anything that works towards promoting that receives huge support.

Our annual Mayor's Cup Regatta takes over large areas of the park and the car parks too. No-one demands oversight, or reports, even though officials know we are probably pushing our luck, but at the same time we apply common sense to our activities and are trusted to be sensible.

We are trying to bring a second lake in the park up to scratch, thus allowing  much larger events in future years and we have the full support of all Council Depts., they are even seeking out grants for us.

The fastest way to cut through red tape is to have all the very senior officials on speed-dial on your mobile phone, you don't have to actually know them.  When a jobsworth asks if you have permission for that, it helps if you can bring up the direct phoneline for the Director of Whatever, pass the phone to the guy and ask if he wants to call his boss and check.

Although it is easier to get forgiveness than permission, permission lasts forever.

We are always surprised at the support we receive.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 10:40:17 pm »

You indeed seem very fortunate kinmel.....in that you appear to have great support from 'very' senior council officers toward you clubs activities which is super :-))

However remember when that..... "jobsworth asks if you have permission for that" ...you must consider that this poor sole is probably following a set of strict mindless requirements that were enforced by the same very senior council officers you mention

It the poor sole forgot to tick a box or dot a TEE and an incident occurred.....the very senior council officers would be absolved of any negligence & you know who a Court of Law would find guilty  <*< don't you?

When I read.... "even though officials know we are probably pushing our luck" .....I get mixed messages  >:-o

I acknowledge the old Navy saying........ "it is easier to get forgiveness than permission" ....but there is another....... never look a gift horse in the mouth ......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 11:07:00 pm »

You indeed seem very fortunate kinmel.....in that you appear to have great support from 'very' senior council officers toward you clubs activities which is super :-))

However remember when that..... "jobsworth asks if you have permission for that" ...you must consider that this poor sole is probably following a set of strict mindless requirements that were enforced by the same very senior council officers you mention

It the poor sole forgot to tick a box or dot a TEE and an incident occurred.....the very senior council officers would be absolved of any negligence & you know who a Court of Law would find guilty  <*< don't you?

When I read.... "even though officials know we are probably pushing our luck" .....I get mixed messages  >:-o

There are many sayings in life  %) ....one is never look a gift horse in the mouth ......Derek

In the UK, our definition of a "Jobsworth" is someone who demands more than the rules actually require and usually knows that to be the case; the ability to immediately make them prove their knowledge to their superior brings them back to earth. The U.K. Health & Safety Executive even have a hotline to call when idiots claim "elf & safety rules" ban something.  An official sensibly discussing legal requirements never needs to be challenged with their boss' phone number.

"pushing our luck" is probably a misnomer; we know the boundaries and will happily step right up to the edge if that is what we need to do. But as stated we use common sense and are trusted. Those very same senior officers come along to our events and don't spend their time looking for minor infringements, but would deal very firmly with blatant disregard of rules.

We never look a gift horse in the mouth, it takes time and effort to build the necessary mutual respect. In fact as Club Secretary I spend more time liaising with council officers than doing anything else.

After all without the council's lake and its facilities, our club would not exist at all.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 11:42:42 pm »

well :embarrassed:..  ..........I take your point

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ........ "A jobsworth is a person who uses their job description in a deliberately uncooperative way, or who seemingly delights in acting in an obstructive or unhelpful manner"

However  %) the word does not appear in the Australian Concise Oxford dictionary...we do have a few obnoxious people in OZ  >>:-(....but I do not know them by this British term
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 02:10:08 pm »

Without going into too much detail, the good news is that we now have our local council jumping through OUR hoops, thanks to the help of Radio Solent.
We were expected to pay £172 for the privilege of staging our free displays on the local lake for the first time. This did not go down well with the membership or interested locals. following a Radio solent article on Tuesday regarding cost incurred by a keep fit class on Southampton Common, and the fact that 'forward thinking' Portsmouth city Council didn't do that sort of thing, our Display Officer sent them an email outlining a slightly different state of affairs. In the space of 24 hours, and with the threat of bad publicity on the airwaves, decision recinded...AND 'is there anything else we can do for your group?'
So, our free displays can continue for the residents and visitors to Canoe Lake in Southsea, for the forseeable future, and the newly elected councillor gets a 'well done' tick against their name...everyone is a winner :-)

surfs up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 02:43:09 pm »

Thats as long as you keep voting for them.  :-))

Change of Council, change of policy.  :-))

You know what name to put that X by next time.  :-))

Go on you know you're one at heart  O0 O0 O0

Surf

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 03:24:48 pm »

I shall run away to join the circus, jumping through burning hoops, I shall call myself......UNBUILTNAUTILUS THE MAGNIFICENT...people shall vote for ME...I will sort the worlds ills singlehandedly...medications wearing offfff %%

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 06:32:06 pm »

Great News for you guys at Canoe Lake.Keep up with the displays,for anyone who hasnt seen one of your displays,go along and support them!
Cheers Allan,
Mick F

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 07:15:13 pm »

have you asked for the weed to be removed or the rubbish dredged over the winter months yet ? there was rather a lot of weed on the seafront side of the lake last night !

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 08:08:49 pm »

I shall run away to join the circus, jumping through burning hoops, I shall call myself......UNBUILTNAUTILUS THE MAGNIFICENT...people shall vote for ME...I will sort the worlds ills singlehandedly...medications wearing offfff %%
And he shall turn weed choked water into wine and all will praise him :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.