Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Azalea, another flower class corvette.  (Read 3596 times)

Captain Povey

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Azalea, another flower class corvette.
« on: June 14, 2014, 10:33:40 am »

Hi All, I bought a part built kit from a guy who said he had bought it as a 'project'. He was right and it has ended up being one of my longest builds. When I got started I realised a lot of the kit was missing and it had been started as a static build. There were no build instructions and good old Dicky D sent me a copy which was invaluable. Whilst at the Warwick show a very kind gentleman with an award winning model Flower Class showed me a method of construction suitable for a working model. So basically I ended up stripping off the decks and anything else that had not already fallen off and starting again. Once the running gear was installed I did the tank test on the hull and as I am sure all of already will have guessed it leaked like a sieve. Once that was sorted construction was resumed. Then I seemed to hit a bit of a wall, probably a dock side wall and things ground to a halt, it got put back in the shed and almost forgotten. Then a fellow club member I was talking to said he was doing one. We exchanged notes and my interest was once again re kindled. The build went well and most of the port side fitting including the depth charge launch rail were built from scratch. I then came across a great guy, John at this year's Mayhem. He provided me with the remaining missing parts and she is now ready for her maiden voyage. Why Azalea? Well one of my friends of some 40 years has found out his Dad was on her in 1942. There are not many pictures of her but some great information about funnel markings etc were from a book by John Lambert. Will I ever take on another 'project'. Probably but I doubt it will be another Flower class. Thanks to all you people who kept me going on this one. Graham. :-))

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: HMS Azalea, another flower class corvette.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 03:26:00 pm »

Hi Graham

Very nice job, nice to see other flowers other than the usual Snowberry or Bluebell. Must restart my flower again one day. :-))
Regards

Nick
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Captain Povey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 04:34:57 pm »

Thanks Nick, Its a bit rough in places but then you cant make a pigs purse out of a silk ear, or something like that. I hope the Majestic class is coming along at a pace and still on track for Leamington. Cheers, Graham

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 08:38:37 pm »

Very nice.

We have a (48th scale) HMS Azalea up here too.

As Nick said, nice to see different Flowers being built.

Captain Povey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 08:57:41 pm »

Hi Sandy, She looks great. Is this the one I saw mentioned in one of the model boat magazines entering a floating dock? Where is up here? I see your Carley floats are doubled up. I am glad to see you have the mast behind the bridge as I have a picture of her with the mast in front of the bridge. I think looking at her movement records she spent quite a lot of time in dock having modifications done. Cheers Graham

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 10:26:34 pm »

Hi Graham,

It isn't mine, but belongs to John in the Glasgow Richmond club.

And, John does own the dry dock, but it was Hugh's that was in his dock.

We have four or five 48th scale Flowers in the club now, including my HMS Gloxinia which had its maiden voyage on Thursday evening.

All the best
Sandy

Captain Povey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 12:49:23 pm »

Hi All, Well I took Azalea to the club yesterday to compare notes with other members and although not properly repaired sailed her. I was very pleased with the trial as she performed very well and was more stable than expected. :-)) Graham  :-)

Flundle (Speedline Models)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 09:19:55 pm »

Very nice model too.
When Matchbox first brought out the 1/72 Corvette I built one, Snowberry of course
I saw on eBay what the seller described as a destroyer but it was clearly a corvette but I had not seen one like this before. Risking the buy it now option, I drove the 350 mile round trip to pick it up. The seller was a really nice guy who didn't know much about it except that the name Sirmar had something to do with it. It turns out to be a very heavily modified Revell kit which uses only the hull from the original kit and apart from the odd bit, nothing else. The hull had been modified a lot with a reshaped transom and scratch built upper works. She is the HMCS Wateskinin.
If i knew how to post piccies i would. I believe many of the fittings are/were Sirmar and they look really good. She has been weathered really well and I am going to add a little to that myself. I have sailed her a couple of times and she is a pleasure to take out.
I'm getting into small slow boats now, age may have something to do with it?
I would certainly consider another Corvette, has anyone got any ideas on the best kit to get?
This big RTR one would look good detailed up and weathered well but Ron Dean does a nice looking one too.
I think I'll stick to 1/72 and risk being swamped!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.