Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stevenage -Sunday 29 June The 5th Race of the season...  (Read 5218 times)

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
Stevenage -Sunday 29 June The 5th Race of the season...
« on: June 14, 2014, 06:10:57 pm »

Hi Folks

The booking office is now open for Stevenage, entries this time to Ian Searle please:
http://www.bmprs.co.uk/

This venue is one that I have not previously attended due to it being a long distance from where I live. However the events this year have been so thoroughly enjoyable and exciting, that I will make the effort and get my torso out of bed that bit earlier {:-{ And now that the season is well under way, those vital championship points can only be gained by turning out and racing ok2

For those of you going whether competing in the racing or just spectating, I look forward to seeing you :-))

Cheers
Craig

Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Stevenage -Sunday 29 June The 5th Race of the season...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 07:42:45 pm »

Oh, silly me I forgot to say that the Stevenage venue comprises of a slightly smaller lake than our other venues.....However, that may well add to the challenge.....

It is a course that I am told, tests  the driving skills of the best but with good vision from the pit or launch area, so perhaps throttle control may be key here.....

;) :-))

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 10:32:04 pm »

The "small" lake at Stevenage is, to my mind, more fun than the "big" lake.  It not 'that' small, just a different way round (no! - not anticlockwise!).  The pit straight is virtually a wide turn between bouys 4 and 1, with long left and right legs and another wide turn between bouys 2 and 3 (unless Ian runs it as a triangle, missing out one of the top bouys).  Definitely not what you're used to - but that adds to the fun!  It's one venue which favours the smaller, more agile classes.
In days of yore (well days of mine actually) I raced an event called the "Red Baron 250" on that lake.  The winner was the first boat to complete 250 laps (usually took about 80 - 90 mins).  I did quite well with my OPS 21 powered Jantar with 212 laps.  The concentration is certainly needed after the first 100 laps! :)
Don't forget that you can park near the lake, so don't use the big car park - drive on past the cafe, then take the right fork.
Hope you all have a great day, and I'll be thinking of you while I'm testing my new Club 500 ELECTRIC boat! :o   (I'll squirt a bit of burnt castor up my nose to give me that authentic smell)  :-))
Cheers
Danny

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 10:53:31 pm »

The "small" lake at Stevenage is, to my mind, more fun than the "big" lake.  It not 'that' small, just a different way round (no! - not anticlockwise!).  The pit straight is virtually a wide turn between bouys 4 and 1, with long left and right legs and another wide turn between bouys 2 and 3 (unless Ian runs it as a triangle, missing out one of the top bouys).  Definitely not what you're used to - but that adds to the fun!  It's one venue which favours the smaller, more agile classes.
In days of yore (well days of mine actually) I raced an event called the "Red Baron 250" on that lake.  The winner was the first boat to complete 250 laps (usually took about 80 - 90 mins).  I did quite well with my OPS 21 powered Jantar with 212 laps.  The concentration is certainly needed after the first 100 laps! :)
Don't forget that you can park near the lake, so don't use the big car park - drive on past the cafe, then take the right fork.
Hope you all have a great day, and I'll be thinking of you while I'm testing my new Club 500 ELECTRIC boat! :o   (I'll squirt a bit of burnt castor up my nose to give me that authentic smell)  :-))
Cheers
Danny

Hey up Danny, I am not sure what my wife Sally will think when England kick off shortly....... How will I explain my sudden out bursts of laughter?  "It is Danny squirting burnt castor up his nose!"  {-) %% %% %% %%  Priceless mate! :-))

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 08:48:15 pm »

Glad to see you enjoyed today  :-))
Congratulations really must go to Garry, who has managed to not only race and win, but then "race" home all the way to the wilds of Lincolnshire to get the results on the BMPRS website before 8.30pm (for all us race starved ex-pats)!
Now that is what I call dedication (most others used to call it madness when I did similar) {-)

Cheers
Danny
PS Someone at our lake burnt out their Club 500 motor so I nipped over to have a quick sniff!  Doesn't give the same watery eyes of 25% nitro though  %%

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 08:51:03 pm »

Hi Everyone

Ok this was my first trip to today's Stevenage event. How did it go?
Fantastic is the answer in a nutshell!  Their lake as Danny suggested proved especially challenging for some, especially myself. Prior to today in the A-Class that I run in, I have only ever needed one rescue in two years when I hit a buoy during the 2013 season. Today for me that all changed. I ended up needing 3 separate rescues all in identical circumstances and places on the course. Waters near buoy two barrel rolled my boat three times so I ended up out of the placings for my first time. Shame on me {-)

However, that did not dampen my enjoyment today as it was a superb. You guys hosting this event at Stevenage deserve a BIG pat on the back as you made us all feel so welcome and a lot of good banter added to the fun of the day. I thank you all very much for that!

Previously I had doubts about attending Stevenage only because of it being a long journey. After the enjoyment today, I will be back again next time! And your lake side facilities such as clean toilets and a quality place to enjoy a meal in the café close by plus parking right next to the lake makes it all ideal.

We should soon see some photos on our BMPRS web site. And later down the line I aim to submit a good write up to the model boats mag.

Cheers
Craig :-))

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 10:46:05 pm »

Glad to see you enjoyed today  :-))
Congratulations really must go to Garry, who has managed to not only race and win, but then "race" home all the way to the wilds of Lincolnshire to get the results on the BMPRS website before 8.30pm (for all us race starved ex-pats)!
Now that is what I call dedication (most others used to call it madness when I did similar) {-)

Cheers
Danny
PS Someone at our lake burnt out their Club 500 motor so I nipped over to have a quick sniff!  Doesn't give the same watery eyes of 25% nitro though  %%

Well said Danny :-)) :-)) ;)

I think we need you to experience a bit of proper nitro with us this season even if only now and then.....?

;)

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 08:01:27 pm »

Hi Everyone

My wife Sally uploaded this short clip of the D-Class boats in action on the day.....
Did the drivers of these three boats do well to avoid a collision?

"Nerves of steel" springs to mind
  :}

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WmC3KJuGxU

Craig :-))

Brigadair

• Full Mayhemer
  • Race to enjoy; winning is a bonus!
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 10:09:57 pm »

Hi all

Yes Stevenage was a great day out so I echo thanks to all who made it so enjoyable and especially the hosting club, inclusive of Bill and his A TEAM!

Thanks Danny for your compliment. I like you like to get the results up ASAP as I know folk will be keen so see them online as I use to do.

Have some good pics to add later in the week as well as links to the video which I will promote as it gives a great insight into the excitement of the event.

I think Stevenage as a venue is quite unique in so many ways! Especially the course!!!

Don't know how you cope with 500 Danny!!!! Lol!!!!! ( suppose we all have to grow old gracefully!!!)

Cheers

Garry
Best regards
Garry Dickson (BMPRS Committee member and Webmaster)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 04:08:40 pm »

Your All very welcome at Stevenage. As chairman of SMBC i will have to sort out a date for next year ASAP.
Im glad you all had a "FUN" day with us. :-)) 
PS is there any pics we could use for our club news letter.  Post them up here or pm the best ones.
Cheers.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 09:17:19 pm »

Hi Bill

Rest assured there will be photos appearing soon of the event. Those will be ones taken on my camera and On Garry's camera  our Webmaster.  And who knows those of others perhaps?

For my part I have about 900 images to go through, and I have to select the most suitable for the future mag write up. Once that has been done I will be uploading others on this thread available to all of you.

And of course our BMPRS website will feature some cracking photos too.

Watch this space.....
Craig ;)

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 08:54:14 pm »

It is I think time for a few photos from this event..... :-) Depending on what you are using to see these, you might need to scroll left and right to see the full image....>

First up is Greg Saddler with his splendid GPL 1000 West powered A-Class boat:

Next we see Luke Bramwell launching the winning AA class Sea Spirit from Mike Barnes>

And the AA42 Challenger by David Clay>

Bernard's 2nd place Crusader 1 in the AA class>

More to follow next post.... :-))

Craig

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 09:00:04 pm »

Okay a few more photos:

Garry's winning Mercury Cat:

One of the boat prep areas>

Me collecting my rescued boat from the crew that did a Fantastic job on the day. They really looked after our boats on the day when we came a cropper!

Getting ready for the start of the next race>

A few more will follow :-))

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 09:05:30 pm »

Garry's Webra powered Challenger in action>>

And then after it had a mishap  :D

The splendid Apache B9 from Malcolm Pratt at speed>>

Just a few more to follow to finish up.... :-))

Brigadair

• Full Mayhemer
  • Race to enjoy; winning is a bonus!
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 09:12:43 pm »

Great pics craig! They really do help tell the story of a great days racing!

Thought Stevenage was a fab venue. Although a typically small summer turnout, great fun and competitive sporting racing enjoyed by all.

Garry

Best regards
Garry Dickson (BMPRS Committee member and Webmaster)

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 09:13:11 pm »

D44 Miami by Garry Dickson....Notice the mud on the bow of the boat.... when it went nose first into the bank he didn't figure he could mess about cleaning it off before his re-launch! :}

D-Class action chasing for buoy number 4:

The splendidly presented and very quick West powered GPL 1000 boats by local club member Greg Sadler:

And finally, the proud winners of the day :-))

This was a belter of a day thank you to all of you that turned out!  :-))

Craig :-)

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 09:32:16 pm »

Great pics craig! They really do help tell the story of a great days racing!

Thought Stevenage was a fab venue. Although a typically small summer turnout, great fun and competitive sporting racing enjoyed by all.

Garry

Cheers for the compliments Garry :-)) I have just viewed the BMPRS website and see that there are lots of additional photos, brilliant!

http://www.bmprs.co.uk/page60.html

Craig :} :-) :-) :-)

retroracer 1969

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 11:23:10 pm »

Hi All, Yes Craig cracking photos etc, hope to see you all at the next race as only done one lap this year. Lol  <:(

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2014, 09:45:35 am »

Hi All, Yes Craig cracking photos etc, hope to see you all at the next race as only done one lap this year. Lol  <:(
Welcome to the forum Baz :-)) :-))
It will be good to see you again.

Craig
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.