Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor & ESC getting very hot.  (Read 1750 times)

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
Motor & ESC getting very hot.
« on: June 15, 2014, 06:08:51 pm »

My son has a 3ft trawler which he picked up second hand.  It came with two  motors and fitted shafts and props. so I assumed that 's what it is supposed to have.   To get it on the water (cheaply) I fitted it with some spare  Escs which I had in the drawer.
This is the setup:
2 x 380 motors turning M4 shafts with 2 x 3 bladed brass props.  2 x Blue Chinese ESCs. 3300mAH 7.2 V battery with single 20A fuse.

It has a fair turn of speed but the motors and EScs get very, very hot, the fuse doesn't blow.

Set up on Radio Link TX & RX with a motor on each stick.
I beleive the model is a Polar North Sea Trawler.   Any ideas?  I am wondering if it's overvoltaged, or over propped.   There isn't much more room for bigger motors, and whilst I know about Chinese ESCs, I am sure that these are rated highly enough to handle the current.

Time Bandit

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Motor & ESC getting very hot.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 08:01:52 pm »

Too much rpm on the motors and probably prop with too much diameter/pitch.
Basically I donīt know any 380 size Johnson/Mabuchi that makes sense to use in a non gliding boat.
Most of them do > 15k rpm.

Only chance will be to use the low pitch Graupner props or you change to a lower rpm motor.
With 30mm brass props they should do around 4000 1/min under load.

Iīm not so sure about the market for motors in the UK. Here I would suggest to use a Buehler motor.
regards

Tobias

inertia

Re: Motor & ESC getting very hot.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 08:55:00 pm »

Swap the 380 motors for 385's. Much lower RPM; same mountings and shaft size. MFA import them; Component Shop sell them (among others). They are not expensive.
Props should be no more than 30mm diameter.
Bin the ESCs and fit some proper ones.
Dave M
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.