Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tug Imara  (Read 3357 times)

sunliner

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
tug Imara
« on: June 18, 2014, 05:57:05 am »

What would be time frame be ,for an average builder to complete this model? Is the quality good?Some members say some parts are missing/,and pretty rough!It is by no means a cheap kit so So I thought I would enquire first.Regards Sunlinerovyxmn

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: tug Imara
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 11:07:53 am »

Welcome to the forum.   :-))

It is a very time consuming model.  The build requirements are of the highest quality.

I didn't have any problems with  'parts' and was very pleased with mine.  Might do another, one day,  as I sold it on.  There are several build blogs on here if you scout around and get the flavour.

Hope this helps

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Brian Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 11:58:18 am »

Hello sunliner
I've built two of these boats from the Caldercraft kits, and it's been a very enjoyable experience. The second build was converted to a 'Perseverance' Thames tug.
There's an abundance of parts which need to be identified and labeled before the build is started, and plenty of wire and timber etc.
As Ken has already mentioned it's very time consuming - over six months in my case - and the builder needs a certain amount of experience before embarking on this project.
Good luck
Brian

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 12:40:55 pm »

I totted up the hours on the last one I built ( built 2 Imaras and 1 marrie felling) and the total build time including painting, fitting out etc came to 624 hours.....196 of those hours was in the actual cleaning up of flashing, and de seaming of all the white metal fittings, filling where needed and then painting individually............it is quite a complicated model to build because the plans are NOT TO SCALE  and one has to gauge where the actual fittings go for one thing..........decks come in 4 parts, bulwarks to clean scuppers to cut out for outflow of water off the decks.......a myriad of things to do on the boat to look nice.

sunliner

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 06:16:15 am »

Thank you for the reply to my querie.The standard and quality of the workmanship was to say the least brilliant,and I got a real pleasure just looking!Not many model boat clubs here in Queensland as we are in a subtropical region, and do not have the long dark evenings to give time build,most buy the RTR items in the morning, chuck a battrey and away they go in the afternoon.However as I am 81 years old, I will have to give the matter more thought.Keep up the good work,it is brilliant.Regards and best wishes Jim

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 07:10:40 am »

HI NEIL

{-)
I totted up the hours on the last one I built ( built 2 Imaras and 1 marrie felling) and the total build time including painting, fitting out etc came to 624 hours.....196 196 of those hours was in the actual cleaning up of flashing, and de seaming of all the white metal fittings, filling where needed and then painting individually............

You work with a clock in the hand?

You forgot the 5 hours 28 minutes 30 seconds to note these hours   %)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 11:29:59 am »

HI NEIL

{-)
You work with a clock in the hand?

You forgot the 5 hours 28 minutes 30 seconds to note these hours   %)

stopwatch gazou, just a stop watch   {-) {-) {-).............no really I have never done it with any other model but I wanted this model to look like a "boardroom model" with all the brass work visible.........and so it was an exercise that I laboriously undertook..........won't do it again............but it gives an idea to anyone just how long it takes to build a model up to exhibition standards.......so that when someone asks you "how much is it worth mister" you can honestly say..............well, how much do you earn an hour......this took X amount of hours to build.

and thanks for your kind comments sunliner.

neil.

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 02:06:26 pm »

I have a friend who says:

I put 2879hours 30  building it

3781 hours to be reflected

5435 hours to contemplate it

My wife says much more
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.