Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Harbour Models sound module  (Read 2931 times)

ma1308

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Harbour Models sound module
« on: June 20, 2014, 05:06:09 pm »

Hi, as anyone purchased from Harbour Model if so how was the transaction?  I am thinking of putting a sound module in my Boston Typhoon I was looking at the P100 noisy thing but it say works with Action speed controller (I don’t want to take out the electrics I have put in) it also needs an amp the one on Harbour Models is an all in one unit, once installed I would not want it to do any more than engine sounds so the p100 seems a little over the top.
I have no idea on this so would like to tap into the knowledge and experience of anyone that as used any of these systems.
Thank you

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Harbour Models sound module
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 05:18:59 pm »

Hi ma1308,
I can't help with Harbour Models, I've never used them
But have you had a look at Technobots sound module, they do a programmable unit and a sound simulator one.
I have the sound simulator one and it's really good, you can alter all the sounds to what you want.

http://www.technobotsonline.com/diesel-engine-sound-simulator-mk2.html

ma1308

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 05:41:18 pm »

Thanks Ianpal, I will have a look at that  :-))

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 05:58:22 pm »

hi ya ma1308

with regard to the ACTion noisy thing - I am 99% certain that it will work with the majority of brushed speed controllers - I say this as I have 1 of the very first sound modules pre-production run - and I tested this with an MTroniks speed controller and also an Electronize speed controller and it worked perfectly well with both of them.   I have read through the instructions for the Noisy thing :-) and I myself cannot see only to be used with ACTion speed controllers.   If this were the case, it was a bit of narrow minded thinking by Mr M wasnt it - and I very much doubt he would do that.

One of the tests which I did do was to run the noisy thing through a Maplins kit amplifier - and although it didnt have the same power output as the ACTion amplifiers - it did the job.

The trick with any sound module in a model is where you place the speaker - i.e. it must have ample  openings to allow the sound to escape from the model and not be muffled a bit like putting your stereo on at home - closing all the doors and windows and standing outside trying to listen to it - I have seen a few models done like that.   The owners have always said - this sound unit isnt that good ......

aye

John
john

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

inertia

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 06:31:27 pm »

John is correct. P100 should operate with any ESC (including brushless) because it takes its signal from the receiver and not the motor.
DM

ma1308

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 08:39:45 pm »

Hi Bluebird, thank you for letting me know my speed controller should be OK I would like something to put some life into the model when its on the water, a programable sound system would be nice but how easy is it to swap between models.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 01:11:59 pm »

hi ya there ma1308

The actual physical size of the 'noisy thing' isnt that large it could, if you wish, be mounted on a board along with the amplifier as there are only 2 plugs & one set of leads from the noisy thing :-) 2 wires go to your amplifier; 1 plug to the receiver, the other plug to your speed controller - then you will have, on your amplifier, a set of wires to go to your speaker and 1 set of wires to power the amplifier possibly from your main battery or a separate battery - the only thing is, which you have to consider, is where you are going to place this speaker on the model - cos 9 times out of 10 you are going to have to make this a permanent fixture in your model so although you will be able to transfer your amp and sound module to another model - I would be doubtful if you would be able to locate the speaker in a suitable place - in the 2nd model without having to make it permanent.   But, not knowing which models you are going to use them in or where you want to locate your speakers its difficult to say - as for programming the sound module - you get all the stuff required, e.g. a CD, USB lead and a comprehensive instruction manual written for all to understand as long as you read and digest the instructions, it's pretty straight forward.  There are several people on this forum who have reprogrammed the noisy thing to the sounds they require.       I have included a few pics of the sound module fitted into my model of the RTTL - which I built many moons ago - and as you can see the noisy thing is situated at the back of the model - the amp and speaker are at the front end of the model - and you will see how I mounted the speaker in a reflex box.  The outlet of the box is open to the air via the grille on the rope locker on the front of the boat.   This was found to be pretty loud, as when we tried it on the lake there was a fairgound playing - over the road - and we could still hear the engines start up and run over the top of the noise of the fairground - whilst it was in the middle of the lake.   %% The only complaints I had were from the crew on the boat - they didnt have ear defenders on - and I had a right job with the Sailor's Union, as they all tried to claim against me for deafness and vibration white finger.  {-)
 {-) {-) O0 aye
john

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 01:19:59 pm »

;)

inertia

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 03:30:28 pm »

John
I just spotted the rating on the back of that speaker............ are you really running a 15W amplifier through a 0.5W speaker?? Hell's teeth, marra!
DM

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 05:19:15 pm »

Strewth....  I had to magnify the screen somewhat to even read the readable print.    %)
It could be the ohms as wattage does not usually appear on little speakers.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 05:38:30 pm »

Hi Kenny/Dave

May we label this as one of those jobs, you know the ones I mean - you fit it temporarily just to see if it works - and then that temporary becomes permanent because of lazy-itis the correct 8ohms 2watt speaker is still sitting on the shelf  :embarrassed:  in its box  O0  ay Dave must have good eyesight cos it's 0.5 watts 8ohms.

Anyhoo, I have just been on to Technobots website looking at the sound modules and I am trying to determine whether they are Digital or they are electronically produced - to me it looks as though they are electronically produced so I would be wary of the sound quality.   Although I have built several Technobots kits and they tend to be okay.

aye
John

inertia

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 06:10:22 pm »

John
Technobots
As far as I can tell they are simulated electronically - hence all the available tweaks - but they are very convincing (IMHO much better than at least one "real sound" digital replay unit I could mention.........but won't). That Alan Bond is a clever bloke.

Eyesight
I only recognised the speaker for what it is because of the tiny magnet - the 'proper' one is huge (it's a 10W speaker).

Dave M

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 06:17:38 pm »

:-)) :-)) :-))

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 07:28:18 pm »

Harbor Models is a good company to deal with if you decide to order from the US.

:-))

ma1308

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 07:29:46 pm »

Thanks for all your replies, I am in Wales at the moment only just got a signal. Bluebird I cannot get the pics at the moment I will studdy them when I get back home :-)

seathug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 05:06:39 am »

Ill second that harbormodels is a good company to deal with
I ordered my aziz from them and keep ordering from them
Since im in hawaii and harbormodels is the closest to me
You can give them a call
Ask for nick jacalone O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.