Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Envoy class HMRT Enigma  (Read 47885 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Envoy class HMRT Enigma
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2014, 04:56:39 pm »

Before I start making up all the fittings, I thought I would get most of the painting done, I prefer a rather less than perfect finish on this type of vessel, it's not quite a Monaco runabout, more a built for purpose work horse of the sea, with the paint being more of a rust prevention than anything else, and a paint finish less than perfect is one thing I can do,  %)  I mostly use Humbrol acrylic in those silly little 12ml pots, why can't hobby paint manufacturers cater for us builders of larger models, and at £1.60 ish for 12ml. it would probably be cheaper to finish it in gold leaf lol. %% {-)

KillerDave

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2014, 01:24:46 pm »

Wow Joe! This boat is looking fantastic! Great job!!! :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2014, 06:50:55 pm »

Thanks Dave,
I'm doing all the top coat painting, hand painting two coats on everything, I've never been a fan of airbrushing each to their own I guess,
Once this is done I will start assembling the rest of the fittings ,  spray prime and hand paint them before I fit them, I also need to get some alloy tubing to make the tow bows in place of the styrene ones, so still a nice lot to do.  :-))
Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2014, 04:55:39 pm »

Got most of the painting done the last couple of days, not my favourite part of the build the old hands not as steady as they were, but she's presentable, I'll leave the paint to cure a couple more days before I do the boot topping, now I can start the fittings.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2014, 04:06:05 pm »

I tried some masking tape on a test piece of the grey paint and it seemed fine so I thought I would get the boot topping finished and then concentrate on the fittings, using the waterline marker tool I made, marking out the boot topping was one of the easiest I've done, especially with the large counter at the stern.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2014, 11:14:10 am »

Instead of using masking tape which could pull the paint off. Go down to your local motor paint factors (yellow pages) and buy some low tack tape. Its used for masking new paint on cars and will not pull of the paint, its not paper based like masking tape but plastic so also conforms to compound curves easily, it also comes in various widths.

Or your local model shop that does plastic models, they will have a similar product made by Tamiya. The difference being the paint shop tape will be cheaper for a whole lot more than you get from Tamiya.

If you look at this topic  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,46369.0.html    at posts 132 and 133 you will see it on my hull, its the blue tape- I'm not masking with it here, just using it as a guide line!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2014, 11:43:03 am »

Thanks for the info Brian, loved your build by the way, your very good at weathering / ageing  :-))  I'm not using bog standard masking tape it's a very expensive blue coloured tape that we used on the boats/ yachts where I used to work, I somehow had some rolls in my toolbox when I retired %) but your right it is 1" wide so a narrow one would follow contours better, My last roll its almost gone so I'll look out for the type you mentioned for my next build. :-))

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2014, 04:44:28 pm »

I've been preparing and assembling the white metal fittings and have to say they are good quality with some fine detailing and not that much flash, just the mould lines to remove, I particularly like this part of the build as you try parts in place you can see the boat looking more life like, I then place them on a board for priming, still some to do plus the davits to assemble.

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2014, 10:07:16 am »

Still making up the fittings, some are assembled from brass etch and white metal and fit together quite well, also made the main capstan winch with a few extra details, should look OK when painted, and fitted the anchor winch.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2014, 03:49:14 pm »

I've been working my way though painting the primed parts and fittings and then fitting them to the boat, still a lot to do I'm glad to say as I'm really enjoying this build, the 1:48 scale is a nice change to the 1:96 scales I have been building.  ;)

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2014, 03:33:23 pm »

just an update, some more fittings on board. :-)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2014, 05:19:36 pm »

Got a bit bored with painting all the fittings so had a little break and pottered around and ended up with a rough work bench in the recess I expect they would have had one

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2014, 05:25:37 pm »

and a lot more fittings fitted, made a start on the masts, the fore mast with it's raked supports is quite tricky to assemble but I'll get there. %%

Joe

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2014, 10:17:22 am »

She's coming along nicely there Joe -looking good :-))

Regards,

Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2014, 05:32:05 pm »

Thanks Ray.   
I managed to get the fore mast made although it looks like the plan I had to adapt a few measurements to fit my scratch built wheelhouse, I think once painted and all the rigging fitted it should look OK. %%

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2014, 05:17:45 pm »

Gradually getting back into the build after the holiday, made a start on the mizzen mast, and made up all the armaments ready for painting, also did her first float test today and it was obvious that she will need a great deal of ballast, so I've put in 4 pounds cut from lead flashing to fit snugly in the bilges and some lead pellets in the shaft well, I'll give her another test tomorrow.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2014, 08:09:07 pm »

Second float test today and added another 3/4 pound of trimming ballast, indications are she is going to be quite stable, also tested the motor the 6 to 1 reduction box swings the 70mm prop with ease, and looks like she is going to be very powerful, now fitting the amidships railings around the 12 pounder deck gun.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2014, 11:31:24 am »

Finished the railings amidships ready for painting, I've decided to fit a smoke generator I kept looking at her large stack and thought that would look great with smoke, but the ones I've used in the past have would not have made enough smoke for such a large model, I then saw one on another forum and asked about it, it's a V4 super smoker from Australia and saw a video of it working and I've been assured that it is as good as it looks by the guy in the other forum, especially when wired in with the ESC so I've ordered one at £40 with £10 postage I hope it's worth it, I had thought about changing the RX to run with my Saturn 6 and turning the smoke gen on or off from the Tx but decided to have a manual switch and choose whether to run with or without smoke on launch.

KillerDave

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2014, 06:51:20 pm »

This is a great build Joe! well done!
I can't wait to see it on the water!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2014, 07:32:52 pm »

Thanks for the nice comment Dave, I've been adding more fittings to both masts today, and started making the tow bows, instead of the laminated styrene ones I've made them from brass tube flattened a bit to make it oval, the mid tow bow is a bit tricky to fit as it lifts off with the engine room top, but almost done it.  :o

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2014, 05:05:30 pm »

Got the tow bows finished today, with hind sight the mid bow should have been a bit higher, the radius is the same as the plan but I think my scratch built engine room is slightly higher than the GRP one supplied in the kit, but I think I'll leave as is, I've used the plan for general layout but have changed quite a few details to make the boat individual, I've still got all the ammo/ storage boxes to make, I plan on making one of each type and reproducing them in resin, the slight extra weight certainly no problem on this boat. :-)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2014, 04:36:25 pm »

The smoke generator arrived today took 8 days, from the other side of the world I guess that's not bad, and I have to say it's the best smoke gen I have seen, and very well made, I've wired it in with the throttle with a manual switch so I can isolate it if I want, I had to stop the trial in the work shop before someone called the fire brigade  {-) {-) {-)
I think out on the water it will be quite impressive  :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2014, 05:22:35 pm »

finished the masts and fitted to boat ready for rigging,  I'll make all the ammo/storage lockers and fit them before I do the rigging I think access to mid decks will be easier. :D

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2014, 04:58:44 pm »

Made up the ammo/storage lockers from styrene card some are one off, the ones that need several of each I've made one of each to take a mould of, to reproduce in resin, they will also come in handy for future builds, I've been doing this with my 1:96 builds as well and have now got quite a few moulds and fittings.   ok2

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2014, 04:47:23 pm »

Did the rigging using sail makers twine, I thought the cotton supplied was a bit over scale and drew too much attention to the rigging, as the moulds for the ammo lockers are still curing I started the life boats, I thought I would experiment with the boat covers by covering the vac moulds with an old duster stretched and glued over them and then painted with a diluted acrylic I'll see how it turns out later, I used thinned PVA so if it don't look good I can take it off. %)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.