Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Envoy class HMRT Enigma  (Read 47888 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Envoy class HMRT Enigma
« on: June 21, 2014, 11:37:39 am »

I recently acquired a part started Model slipway Envoy class tug kit, I don't know the chap who started to build her, it was offered to me by a third/fourth party and the price was just a no brainer, which was being donated to a local organisation, so I bought it unseen, when I picked it up it was a large box with the huge hull on top, when I got it home, the box contained all or most of the fittings  the extra armaments pack, a new 12volt lead/acid battery, a new 6volt nimh battery,  two new 500 motors, a 12 volt 6-1 geared motor, an m-tronics ESC, brass etchings sheet, 70mm brass prop, I then realised what a bargain I had, the kit it's self had been started, and I mean no disrespect to the guy, but I'm thinking he must have been a novice that had jumped in the deep end and found it too difficult, the shaft/tube had been fitted and seemed to be lined up fairly well, and the rudder had been done but have to say all very untidy the iconic barn door rudder was made by laminating two pieces of plasticard but with flexi epoxy used the result was the rudder was too flexible for this size boat at 44" long also some other parts had been attempted out of sequence like the grp wheelhouse which was unusable, So I decided to scrap everything and start afresh, as the wrong glues had been used on just about everything I was able to salvage some of the parts but the wheelhouse has been cut apart to salvage the alloy window frames/doors, I managed to get the rudder assembly apart without damage to the alloy hinge frame or the hull for rebuilding, I thought I would leave the shaft/tube and just tidy up the exit boss. I shall be building her as HMRT Enigma.  Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Envoy class HMRT Enigma
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 05:54:21 pm »

Now made a start on the rebuild of the rudder, and shaft tube boss, for the rudder I've used a piece of copper plate laminated between .5 plasticard, with hard epoxy, while that was setting I tidied up the stern tube boss.
I've put my Coventry build on hold as this one is probably going to be a shorter build and Coventry was always meant to be a winter build anyway ans also gives me plenty of time to get the fittings from Sirmar.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 09:21:30 am »

Looking good so far, its going to make a fine model.

I remember being given a similar hull to this round about 1988, it was an admiralty tug hull finished in grey grp. To this day I don't know what happened to it, it just sort of dissapeared from the house!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 11:04:40 am »

Thanks Brian,   That's a big old hull to go missing, I think I'd suspect foul play there, maybe SOMBO knows more than she's letting on.   O0 {-) {-) {-) .Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 11:21:28 am »

Gradually tidying up the bits that needed it, the rudder is now done with tiller arm and I fitted a retainer to the stock as the rudder was inclined to lift a little, also fitted an greaser as the shaft is be low the water line, and shaped the deck washouts to look a bit better, now need to get some plywood for the new deck and wheelhouse.  Joe 

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 04:58:39 pm »

Fitted a support to the forward end of the shaft tube and installed the rudder servo, the control rods are a bit OTT but I was just using up some bits I had, I prefer the parallax set up on large rudders I think it uses the servo torque better, :-)

KillerDave

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 09:32:22 pm »

I'll be keeping an eye on this build! You never know, I might pick up a few tips! Keep it going  :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 04:59:03 pm »

Got the motor bed done today, I plan on fitting a bulkhead at the deck break but I 'm holding off on that till the set of plans arrive from Model Slipway, is it just me or dose the post take longer these days. :o 

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 06:58:52 pm »

good start joe
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 07:15:00 pm »

Thanks Mike, after building in 1:96 this seems huge  %% :-))

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 08:25:31 pm »

Yes but must admit I prefer building at the larger scales - 1/48th is a nice scale for building and for sailing.  The MS Envoy or Assurance has been on my wish list for a while.  Maybe get round to getting one some day but cant justify it to the wife yet given as I have 2 in build and 3 others waiting there turn.  Something will have to be sacrificed for me to get an Envoy or a Assurance!!!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 09:24:55 pm »

Yes your right there Mike, this one will take a lot rougher waters than my 1:96s, looks like you have your hands full there for some time but at least you won't be bored.  :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 05:52:24 pm »

It looks like the post office machine has gobbled up my set of plans, as it's been nearly two weeks since the order, Model Slipway are kindly sending me a replacement set , I don't want to fit any bulkheads till I check the plans so have not done much more at this time. :-))  Joe.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 11:55:29 am »

Looking great so far Joe. :-))

I built the armed version of this tug a few years ago now and loved every second of the build. You have things pretty much exactly as I built mine even using the same motor. I have two, 6 volt lead acid batteries in mine and a whole load of lead sheet for ballast to get it sitting correctly in the water, a light model it isn't!

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Craig.

Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 02:06:27 pm »

Really nice build there Craig, yes I'm expecting her to be quite heavy, I'm more used to 1:96 ships but when I was offered this one I couldn't refuse, and because of her war time connection she fits in with my love of building warships and exhibiting them with the Surface Warship Association, she will be a little different to the standard kit because of the parts I've had to scrap, she'll have ply decks, wheelhouse and engine room etc. but hopefully will look the same when finished.   :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 03:32:11 pm »

The replacement plans posted yesterday arrived today, it seems the Post Office can get it right sometimes, and thanks again to Model Slipway for their service.
The main reason I wanted the plans, apart from all the deck detail, was to get the correct beam measurement, I have fitted one bulkhead at the deck break this was mainly to re align the hull which was leaning in on one side, so the bulkhead was made equal each side of the centre line to push the hull back to shape, it could be the hull had been resting on it's side for a long time, but the bulkhead has done it's job, to form the rest of the beam I'll use cross members after the deck bearers are fitted, also fitted is the battery box abutting the bulkhead. 

KillerDave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 09:27:07 pm »

Great work!  :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 04:50:05 pm »

I've added a sub deck to the bow because I'm fitting anchor hawser tubes and this will secure the top of them better that the relatively thin deck, these hawser tubes will serve no purpose at all, it's just something I fit to all my boats, also fitted the deck bearers and pre fitted the decks, and fitted and tested the R/C gear, keeping it simple, just a two channel on this one. 

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 07:16:03 pm »

Fitted the cross members, marked out and cut out the hatches, I've only cut out the size hatches that I need for access to running gear ballast etc. the two hatches under the bridge and engine room will have up stands and location blocks in the corners to position the structures, the others are flush and will be held down in some way, most likely with elastic bands hooked around pegs in the bottom of the boat, a simple method that I've found effective. :-))

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 08:45:19 pm »

Looking good Joe

lankyandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 09:34:05 pm »

coming along nicley

lankyandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 09:34:24 pm »

sorry nicely

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 01:21:37 pm »

Thanks guys,   I felt the over hang of the foredeck amidships was a bit too much, so I fitted a dummy bulkhead 22mm further aft, my thoughts are any detail on the bulkhead would be easier to see, with the aft deck bonded in place, I'll build the oil tank rooms and tow hook base before the fore deck is bonded on. :-)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 10:43:10 am »

Finished the tow hook platform etc. and bonded down the foredeck, next I'll finish the flush hatches and fit the upstands to the access hatches, then the fun bit, scratch building the replacement wheelhouse and engine room and trying to make them look like the original GRP mouldings , as close as I can that is. :o

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2014, 05:45:52 pm »

With the foredeck bonded down I finished all the access hatches with up stands and the flush ones, getting the camber of the deck to match the hatches was a bit of a game, but turned out not too bad,    ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.