Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Envoy class HMRT Enigma  (Read 47883 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Envoy class HMRT Enigma
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2014, 11:32:04 am »

yer what he said.

%% %% %% %% {-) {-)

KillerDave

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2014, 05:57:30 am »

How much better do they look than the originally fitted ones?! They look great!

5 holes, 6 holes... horizontal, vertical.... who cares... I'm sure the above is just banter but, if I was building this and had gone the route you have, then to have some fool point out the aesthetics of the port holes are in-correct to the original boat....

I would take a breath before explaining that this is a very old boat and during her life, she has been refitted many times...
AND I LIKE THEM! so kindly go away!  <*<

Very nice work Mr Joe! Keep it up!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2014, 06:40:05 am »

Goodness...sounds like 3 [three] bites from European CARP  >>:-( that still infest our Murray river system  {:-{ 
Reading between the lines it would appear obvious that neither have spent a days toil in a shipyard building industry or dockyard

No self respecting trades shipwright would intentionally install a portlight/porthole in anyway other than the intended manner

My questioning comments were not intended to be a criticism ....but a suggestion that there are options here

Paul McCartney wrote some interesting lyrics in his composition ...."The Fool on the Hill"  O0 ....could be worth listening to the words

However, as requested, I will say no more on this build..........Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2014, 08:42:57 am »

Well said Dave,
But Derek I took your comments only as you intended and not as criticism and you had a point a shipwright would always fit things like portholes in orderly fashion, so please do continue to comment it is most welcome  :-)) :-))

Joe

inertia

« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2014, 11:15:58 am »

We had the only set of manufacturer's drawings in existence when we did Envoy and, as far as I remember, they didn't go down to such detail as porthole rivets; it was just a set of lines and a GA drawing. Also the few monochrome photos we could find didn't indicate detail at this level. I suppose I could have asked Tom Gorman (who has forgotten more about full-size British vessels than most of us will ever know) but Lawrie's philosophy has always been to leave off anything where there is doubt, so that the really keen modeller can add detail to the level he requires. Better that than stick something on the plan which is either a guess or just plain wrong.
BTW I am soooooooo glad you dug out those reversed portholes! It's amazing how many models I see with those castings stuck in the wrong way around. I know there's a drawing in all the kits which shows the correct way of fitting - I don't understand why people don't just look at the plans before they start drilling holes and mixing epoxy. It takes very little extra effort to get it right.
Dave M

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2014, 11:36:41 am »

Hi Dave M,
yes your right the plan does show clearly the right way to fit them, and I could see they were wrong when I acquired the "kit" even before I got the plans, and thanks to mayhem members for giving me the inspiration to do something about them, the finished model should look all the better.
I think with Model Slipway and Deans you get a good basic kit that inspires the modeller to add extra detail as well as using that all important modellers licence. %) ;) 

KillerDave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2014, 09:44:24 pm »

Goodness...sounds like 3 [three] bites from European CARP  >>:-( that still infest our Murray river system  {:-{ 
Reading between the lines it would appear obvious that neither have spent a days toil in a shipyard building industry or dockyard

No self respecting trades shipwright would intentionally install a portlight/porthole in anyway other than the intended manner

My questioning comments were not intended to be a criticism ....but a suggestion that there are options here

Paul McCartney wrote some interesting lyrics in his composition ...."The Fool on the Hill"  O0 ....could be worth listening to the words

However, as requested, I will say no more on this build..........Derek

Derek...

Please accept my apology... I really wasn't attacking your comments at all.

My words were only to encourage Joe in his build and to build it as he likes.

I am sure he is more than happy for you to chime in at any point as would I be.

Respectfully yours,

David.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2014, 11:19:52 am »

Did the cappings on the wing deck sides, the printed plywood ones in the kit intended for the discarded GRP wheelhouse were not a good enough fit for my scratch built wheelhouse so I used styrene sanded to a reasonable profile, also fitted the deck grilles and the funnel, the previous owner had assembled the funnel, but the bottom mounting ring and the top cap were not square resulting in the funnel leaning slightly, not sure what glue he had used, and remembering that heat had made removing the alloy portholes possible, I used my heat gun and sure enough was able to remove the alloy parts and reinstate them to make the funnel vertical from the centre line, and the correct rake side on, the two forward deck grilles are a different position to the plan as my access hatch is smaller than originally intended.

KillerDave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2014, 07:28:44 pm »

You are doing an awesome job my friend! I look out for your updates every day!  :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2014, 10:32:40 am »

Thanks Dave,

Made and fitted the boiler room vents, being used to 1:96 scale every thing on this one seems huge, then started the engine house, I could probably have used the GRP moulded one with a bit of filling and sanding, but as I've used plywood on the deck and wheelhouse I thought it logical to carry on with the same construction method, I want to get ventilation in the boat so I've put holes under each skylight ,  to make frequent removal of the superstructure and rigging unnecessary, as I'm using a lead acid battery, which will be charged in the boat, and although a sealed battery they still vent when charging,

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2014, 11:48:33 am »

:-)

Explain we to whom is going to be of use the electric join Tamya?

inertia

« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2014, 12:12:44 pm »

:-)

Explain we to whom is going to be of use the electric join Tamya?
J-P
I think these are temporary connectors between the speed controller and the battery.
Joe
If you want to use a small switch instead of a great big one then I would suggest you have a look at the ACTion P107, which is a power distribution board with a small MOSFET on board which allows a very small slide or toggle switch to be used to turn the main battery on and off. There is also the P106 which is a simple wiring harness which includes this MOSFET and switch but doesn't have the power board. On my prototype I hid the radio switch under the Hold Hatch, which is just ahead of the capstan on the aft deck.
Dave M

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2014, 04:49:17 pm »

No the Tamiya connectors aren't temporary, I know some people don't like Tamiya connectors, but I've been using them for years and never had any problems, here's two photos that might explain, the RC switch and the connectors are concealed inside the tow cable create, simply disconnect the ESC and plug in the charger, I have the RC switches on all my boats accessable from the deck disguised as say a mushroom vent or a ammo box, but this one is as designed by Model Slipway, to be honest I couldn't better it  :-))

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2014, 03:44:46 pm »

The white metal W/T doors as supplied are ok, but I thought they would look better with a bulkhead frame, so I mounted one on a piece of styrene to leave a small margin around the door and then made a mould of it, as there's only four W/T doors on the wheelhouse I could have added styrene to all of them, but I'm getting quite a collection of various fittings by taking moulds of each mod I do, always handy for future use. ;)

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2014, 03:57:26 pm »

Added the bulwark supports and capping as most of work has been done in plywood I used this for the cappings , just before I primed the funnel and hatch assembly I thought I would be a good time to make the steam pipes and whistle attached to the funnel so they would all be primed together.  ;)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2014, 04:10:58 pm »

Been having a bit of fun with the wheelhouse interior,, when the boats are at a Surface Warship Association exhibition It's surprising how many people get up close and peer though the windows, so I thought I'd give them something to see. %%
Not forgetting the motley crew.  {-)

Joe

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2014, 08:45:15 am »

I do like this extra detailing, it brings the boat to life.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2014, 05:37:24 pm »

Got the rest of the primer done today, and fitted the 70mm propeller, again this seems huge after my 1:96 scales, also made the wheelhouse roof and I'm deviating from the plan a little by making the machine gun deck as if it were a modification rather that an extention of the roof, so now it's time for my favourite part the fittings and detailing.  ;)

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2014, 11:19:26 am »

Looking great so far and nice to see it in the correct colours.  :-)

Keep the updates coming.

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2014, 04:45:01 pm »

Thanks Craig , good to know it's of interest to others.

Carrying on with the wheelhouse I fitted the roof and the aerial duct which passes though it, I made mine from wood rather than the laminated styrene, with the roof in place I completed the machine gun stations keeping the modification theme in mind, should look ok when painted.  :-)

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2014, 01:49:31 pm »

Spotted a problem with the cable create which houses the RC switch and plugs, the plan has it sited under the mid tow bow and there's not enough height to lift off the create top without first removing the engine room along with the tow bow, I say problem it's more of an inconvenience, I want the switch easily accessible, so as the position of the create is not critical I decided to reposition it more forward, removing the create body wasn't easy and took a bit of deck with it, shows how good Admiralty Glues are, I thought if I broke it I could easily make another, but it came off in one piece, I had to fill one hole and make good the deck, I think it prove to be worth the effort.   :-))

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2014, 03:20:05 pm »

Spent a fiddly few hours assembling the wheelhouse/machine gun deck railings, very satisfying when finished   :-)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2014, 05:38:59 pm »

For years I've been improvising on marking the water lines / boot toppings, and today I saw a waterline gauge on a model web site, now I don't believe in paying for something I can make, so I thought I would take time out and make one loosely based on the one I'd seen, and I think the result should work just fine, I'll change the nut for a wing nut when I can find one.   ;)

Joe.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2014, 07:08:57 pm »

Now, that's a good and useful tool to make O0

Thanks for sharing - oh, and your model is coming along nicely :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2014, 07:15:50 pm »

Nice work Joe

I am following this build with great interest, gathering ideas along the way. Thank you in advance .

The waterline gauge is a nice piece of work and one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" devices.

I hope my tug turns out half as good as this one is.

Ian
What do you mean 1:1 is not a model?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 22 queries.