Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Envoy class HMRT Enigma  (Read 47884 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Envoy class HMRT Enigma
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2014, 07:05:10 pm »

Thanks Brian, she is a lot of fun to sail,  :-))

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2014, 02:21:45 pm »

She is really a beauty on the water, Joe :-)) :-)) :-)) The smoke looks very realistic. I am still waiting for my generator - it is already more than a month at the German customs <*<

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2014, 03:25:10 pm »

Absolutely magnificent!

Full of details

Attractive on the water

Bravo Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2014, 04:00:38 pm »

Thanks a lot guys, hey Arno I had no idea it would take so long for you to receive the smoke generator, that must be really annoying, is this normal over there, I thought you must have it by now and wondered what you thought of it. {:-{
Joe

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #129 on: November 07, 2014, 04:09:03 pm »

Joe, get this-- I placed an order from Cornwall Model Boats in the UK, all it had to do was cross the channel to Spain. CMB posted it airmail, it took 12 days to get here! Now I go back and forth from Spain to Yorkshire quite a lot and the plane only takes 2 1/2 hours!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2014, 05:06:28 pm »

I use CMB a lot delivery is usually around 4 days, the smoke gen from Australia took 8 days and this week I ordered a small flatbed truck to tote my boats around, ordered at 3 o clock Wednesday it arrived at 11 o clock next day, but it seems the German customs really screw things up >:-o

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: November 07, 2014, 06:08:29 pm »

Delivery is not the problem - the kit I bought from Deans Marine took only 3 days from UK to Germany as there was no customs involved. A parcel from Japan also took about 6 weeks this year. The problem is the German authorities. Maybe they play with our model stuff in the meantime <*< >>:-( <*< I will give you a feedback when it has arrived, Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: November 07, 2014, 06:45:40 pm »

That would annoy the hell out of me Arno, do you get informed about the whereabouts of your parcel, I know the guy in Oz posts very quickly. :((

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: November 07, 2014, 06:51:25 pm »

No, tracking was not available. But I am sure it was posted by airmail. The Oz guy seems to be very reliant. The only problem is customs. I hate protectionism.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2014, 08:10:03 pm »

I know CMB posted out on the same day as my order, so it would have been in Spain next day at the latest. So a full 10 days to get from Madrid to Alicante a distance of about 240 miles! You just know its been held at customs when it comes to that amount of time, then its bad enough having to collect it. Our post office is in our local town 8 miles away from the village, the postie won't bring anything larger than a normal letter for anyone, spanish or english, she just tells you to go in and collect it from the counter!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2014, 02:34:40 pm »

Enigma is fairly heavy at 10 kilos. as I noticed only too well when I took her down the lake for the first time, I use a bungee to hold the cradle in place and lift her grasping the stem and stern out of the car then put her on the ground to close the car pick her up again carry her to the lake, go back to the car for the TX etc. this is when you know your getting old, when she goes to her first exhibition it's even further to carry, so I thought I'd make it a bit easier by getting a flatbed truck, looked on tinternet and came up with one not too expensive that I thought would do the job, ordered it and as mentioned earlier it came the next day, and it was far better quality than I was expecting for the price, mostly aluminium bed and 4" ball race wheels two castor and two fixed and a folding handle, I added some ply rims, I can get three 1:96 warships on together, and then back for the tug, And as I have a mild angina this will help no end,
Even better SWMBO said she would buy it for me as an early Christmas present,,,,Sweeeeet. :-)) :-)) ;)

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2014, 08:34:33 pm »

Hi Joe
I have just joined the forum and found your thread whilst looking for tug stuff. I have spent a pleasant couple of hours reading and enjoying the pics, thanks for a most enjoyable thread. It gives me something to aim for.
Regards Colin

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2014, 09:12:57 pm »

Hi Colin, and welcome, I'm pleased you found my build log interesting and hope it helps if you are thinking of building one.  :-))
Joe

jenga

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2014, 03:41:22 pm »

Greetings Joe,  As an aged, returning modeller and a newbie on this site, can I add my thanks to the others on here for your superb article.
I am awaiting the arrival of my Envoy kit and will use your build for clarification of any steps I need help with.
Regards Jenga

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2014, 04:36:26 pm »

Hi Jenga, welcome,  I'm sure you will enjoy building it I know I did, only too pleased if I can help in any way,  :-)) :-))

Tricky Dicky

• Shipmate
« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2014, 12:25:25 pm »

Hi Radiojoe

The trolley idea is a great one and many in our club have chosen to do likewise. It's amazing how heavy a model can become over a relatively short distance. I can see from the size of your trolley how easy it will be to fit inside the average boot however, I would recommend supporting the model well with some form of shock absorbing material such as foam rubber as I'm sure you will have already considered, as the small caster wheels coupled with hard rubber tyres will cause bouncing over the smoothest of pathways. Some in our club have gone for small modified garden carts with inflatable tyres but by size are not as easy to stow in the boot.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2014, 02:28:39 pm »

Hi Dicky
My plan is to carry the trolley folded on the back seat of my estate car, as I will be carrying my four completed boats to an exhibition next weekend, this will be the first time to use the trolley, in the past I've had to carry each boat from the car to the second floor of Action Stations in Portsmouth dockyard, this time will be a lot easier as there is wheeled access and a lift, so money well spent I think.  :-))

Tricky Dicky

• Shipmate
« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2014, 02:47:22 pm »

Can well understand your dilemma, hope you have a great time. Was in Gosport myself on Remembrance Day, went on Alliance and also visited the Explosives museum, quite amazing.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2014, 05:35:13 pm »

When I did the detailing in the wheelhouse I neglected to fit a light, so now it is finished it's too dark to see the detailing inside when at an exhibition, so I've decided to retrofit a led light in the wheelhouse and nav lights at the same time a bit of a challenge to get the leds in position working from inside the bridge structure, just waiting for the leds etc. to arrive and then I have a go.  %)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2014, 04:42:13 pm »

Leds arrived today, they are nano chips so can fit almost anywhere and very bright, I got them from www.smallscalelights.co.uk I can recommend them, very good service, as I didn't build the bridge structure with lights in mind it was a bit of a fiddle to find a route for each of them, the wheelhouse was the easiest by removing the secondary helm plinth and drilling a hole though the roof for the led them replacing the plinth over it, the nav lights were a different matter, I had to use a  long 3mm drill bit and drill up from the underside at a slight angle and aim to come up under each lantern, I did this very carefully a little at a time and both came out right thankfully, the nanos fitted and held with a spot of cyarno they were then wired to a switch under the engine house via a jst plug and socket, as they were 12 volt I am running them off the main LA battery, I'm happy with the result they are quite effective.  :-)

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2014, 08:48:16 pm »

Looking good nice job

Marc St Hilaire 60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Older but no wiser!
« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2014, 12:36:02 pm »

Very interesting thread. Funnily enough I was thinking of buying this kit. I have a Flower Class covette and a TID tug in 1:48. Envoy would fit in well and I'm trying to standardise on this scale.

Just one question Joe, what motor are you using? From the pics, it seems to be geared?

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2014, 01:01:44 pm »

Looks to be the same motor I fitted into my Envoy which is an MFA / Comodrills 540 brushed, DC motor with a 6:1 gearbox on the front. This is the motor shown on the plans of the Envoy kit and mentioned in the instructions which is why I chose it.
http://www.mfacomodrills.com/gearboxes/919d_series.html
In my boat I have the option of running it on 6V or 12V operation and it copes just fine running on two, 6V lead acid batteries.

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

Marc St Hilaire 60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Older but no wiser!
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2014, 01:15:28 pm »

Thanks Craig, thats useful to know. I like the idea of runnning on 12V for the smoke gen but using two 6V lead acids. Gives a lot of flexibility.

PS: this verification code thing is driving me round the bend!!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2014, 01:24:15 pm »

Yes that's the motor I used,  at 6:1 ratio running on a 12 volt 7amh battery runs for hours even with the smoke generator and barely gets warm.
The verification is only for about 5 to 10 posts so keep at it.   :-)) :-))
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 23 queries.