Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are these and how can i get some more  (Read 1709 times)

type82

• Full Mayhemer
  • Landing Craft Mad
What are these and how can i get some more
« on: June 21, 2014, 08:04:04 pm »

Hi What were these used for and where can i get some replacements or do i have to scratch build some new ones?
Obsessed with Landing Craft and Shermans

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What are these and how can i get some more
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 02:11:35 pm »

I think it's what's known as a "Trawl gallows"  It would have been part of the trawling gear rather than the military fit.  If you know the manufacturer of the kit you could try contacting them for spares.  If not known try the usual suspects for fittings Cornwall Model Boats, Westbourne, Model Dockyard, etc, etc.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What are these and how can i get some more
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 09:43:47 pm »

Hmm... if fitted on a WWII Royal Navy trawler they are most probably for storing the LL magnetic minesweep.

Trawlers (and the first Flower class corvette magnetic minesweepers) didn't have the big LL reel and the floating cables were handled manually, usually laid on the deck in a concertina fashion:- from stern, along the, say, port side deck, double back on themselves (using those gallows) around the end of the casing/galley, along the starboard deck, double back on themselves, back around the casing/galley to the port side, etc, etc.

Here is Gary's HMT Three Kings and you can see the principle:-

Hope that helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.