Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting Mat  (Read 4411 times)

g6swj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Short Wave Jammer! -.-
Cutting Mat
« on: June 23, 2014, 11:26:33 am »

Hello and thank you in advance for help...

I have never used a cutting mat before - seems like you can spend peanuts or gold sovereigns on them.

So is it best to spend peanuts and replace them when needed or invest in a more durable product?

Assuming it's allows would appreciate Brand/Supplier info recommendations

Thank you
JonathanE

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cutting Mat
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 12:35:18 pm »

I have a large A1 sized one that cost a fair amount, but also use some small A4 sized ones that I picked up at the local market for £1 each. for anything small enough the small ones get used, the big one is on the workbench and just gets used for bigger items.
Grendel

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 01:36:02 pm »

I have several, all different sizes and materials. I haven't noticed any difference in durability. The smaller A4 ones are useful not only for small work, but can be readily moved around the work space as required.
Don't Assume Check

inertia

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 03:56:59 pm »

I habitually buy a new one at every Warwick show. I use A2 size and find that they last about a year. The mats are branded "Space Fly" and are sold by a couple of the tool stalls there for not a lot of money. If you search for cutting mats on E-Bay then there are any number of suppliers and sizes on offer.
Dave M

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 07:53:09 pm »

They do offer a terrific advantage with the parallel lines marked on them. The semi grip surface is also comforting when using sharp knives.   %)

I've only ever bought one, Dave.  It self heals its surface secretly during the night.  {-) {-)

cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

inertia

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 08:41:46 pm »

I've only ever bought one, Dave.  It self heals its surface secretly during the night.  {-) {-)
And does it also secretly scrape off all the accumulated glue and other crud of the previous day as well as redrawing the grid after a good slosh of thinners spilled on it? Mine don't  <:( (and anyway I'm famously houseproud)
Dave M

CyberBOB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 08:48:54 pm »

Save your old cutting pad, cover it with waxed paper, and use it for a glueing pad.  Works for me.

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 09:03:48 pm »

Swmbo decided that the cutting boards in the kitchen were 'a bit scratched, stained, and didn't look very nice any more'. These were 9 mm thick nylon type material. Two bits about 6 inches square now reside in the drawer. Ideal for heavier work, e.g. hammer and chisel.

CyberBOB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 09:54:24 pm »

I used to use the free promotional mouse pads (the kind with the vinyl top) as cutting pads.

I don't seem to get free ones anymore.

HUNTER

• Hunter
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Is my cocoa ready yet?
    • Hunter Systems
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 09:28:19 am »

Hi Guys,
The difference I have found over the years is in the quality of the mats. I always use a Swan Morton cutting blade in my cutting knives including a Stanley knife.
I find that the cheaper mats tend to start falling apart when they have been used a lot. The area which has been cut doesn't heal but actually becomes a rut with bits of the mat coming loose.
The next thing to do is turn it over and start again Also, notice that this happens much more in the winter when the mat is cold. Answer is to warm it up before cutting on it, works every time.
Is my cocoa ready yet?

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 11:41:02 pm »

I always use those from the cheap shops and find that they last a very long time, one of mine is about 20 years old. However, I suppose it all depends on how much they are used, mine aren't used all day very day, but they have had quite a lot of use. If, like Dave M., you spill glue and thinners on them  %) , I would expect their life to be much shorter, as solvents tend to remove the grid lines and soften the mat itself, I know this from bitter experience <:( .

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.