Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Done anything stupid lately? SAFETY ALERT!  (Read 2322 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Done anything stupid lately? SAFETY ALERT!
« on: June 23, 2014, 12:01:46 pm »

Notice anything about the two blades in the photo? Yep the bottom one has the point missing.

SAFETY ALERT!!!!!!

WHEN USING KNIVES OR SCALPELS  ALWAYS  MAKE SURE THE COVER IS BACK ON!

I had placed the knife down and it had leant against a piece of timber on the worktop, forgetting it was there some minutes later I reached over to get a clip. It embedded itself in the upper part of the base of my thumb causing quite immense pain. Pulling it out I was surprised at how little blood there was but also how I could not move my thumb properly.

A trip to the local medical centre and one expensive consultation plus xray later  (Spain, no NHS here!). I now know I have a piece of blade stuck in the bone of my thumb! with nasty nerve damage. The doc says the nerve will heal and my thumb will be back to normal after a couple of weeks. Don't worry about the blade tip it will calcify over.

So take heed, my thumb still feels funny, touching it the feeling is like it is numb sort of like your mouth is after cocaine at the dentist, but I am getting movement back.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Done anything stupid lately? SAFETY ALERT!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 12:32:01 pm »

I once dropped a scalpel, feeling it brush past my leg, picked it up, and an hour later when I came to move spotted the blood on my leg, the strange bit was that the cut itself had already knitted with barely a mark, it was just the large quantity of blood in my sock that gave the game away.
Grendel

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 01:03:08 pm »

:-))

BRIAN is only English to the world which can peel potatoes with his thumb

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 02:12:05 pm »

Friday lunch time I went to cut a nice chunk of fresh French stick to go with my cheese and pickled onion...I don't know how I did it, but the knife slipped off the bread and sliced through the piece of skin between my little finger and my ring finger (spoilt the bread and put me right off my bread and cheese   :embarrassed: )

Because I'm on blood thinning medication, I bled like a stuck pig....all weekend I was changing plasters every couple of hours, it finally eased off yesterday evening, and now it's just weeping a bit every now and again.

Yes, I know..I should have had gone to the docs for a stitch or two...

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 03:02:03 pm »

Superglue is your firend for that U-33. Thats all they use in accident rooms nowadays. If it can be held with a spot of glue why waste time suturing?

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 03:47:35 pm »

I've often used a drop of superglue on a cut, but this was in such an awkward place I figured I'd probably have ended up glueing my fingers together as well...

Rich
Rich

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

madrob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 05:11:31 pm »

I read the title and thought does getting married count :-))

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 05:59:38 pm »

I read the title and thought does getting married count :-))

Oh yes, I reckon it should... %)

Rich
Rich

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 06:03:22 pm »

Not Lately :D

Still paying though >>:-(

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 06:38:29 pm »

:-)) Yes we have all been young and foolish once,and yes I am careful she can't see the screen as I am sitting on the balcony or I would be dead meat,back to the thread  I am forever dropping things on my toes got 1 or 2 black toenails at the moment,I use old lead acid batteries to hold some things in place managed to drop one of them on my toe broke it and that really hurt,they say more get hurt in the home than on the roads,Ray. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))   
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 06:43:31 pm »

As a novice draughtsman, I used to use a Stanley knife for cutting things, one day I forgot to retract the blade and leant over something, as I returned to my seat, the knife - BOUNCED - on my right leg, thought nothing of it for a minute and the looked for the knife on the floor, as I bent down I saw a small cut in my jeans (lax office dress code), there was a small 10-15mm cut, I sneaked off to the toilets and found I had cut into my leg, it was a perfect triangle and had only gone through the dermis, but you could just see the muscle below - very lucky, I had the foresight to take the masking tape off the desk and basically bandaged it, went to the medical centre on site and they plastered it. A few days later while having it looked at - it had fluid under the skin, as I moved it around it opened the would and it jetted out like a leaky hose pipe, just missing the head of the nurse who was just going to have a look - she jumped back very quickly.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 07:10:09 pm »

Stanley knife? we used to just get the single edged razor blades with the hard back edge. we also used a potassium ferro cyanide liquid for removing photographic images from film prints, it was the same colour as the lime drink from the drinks machine and we used to mix it up in plastic cups, how nobody was poisoned I will never know.
Grendel

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 07:55:21 pm »

I've had some close encounters with Stanley knifes and scalpels but the worst I've been witness to was at work in the RAF!
The first was a young lady technician was replacing a blunt blade with a new one, it was rather tight fitting and she managed to push it into place with a final struggle with the handle. She slipped whilst refitting the handle and she thought it had nicked her on her palm. She turned her hand over to see a fine bead of blood stretching across her palm in a big L shape. She was quite relieved until she put her hand down on the table and the large piece of flesh beneath her thumb flopped off attached only by a thin piece of skin. Quite understandingly she passed out and she was rushed to the med centre where she received 21 stitches in her hand! :o

The second was a young male technician fresh out of training climbing into a fuel tank on a Tornado holding a scalpel in mouth like a pirate. He was in the act of pulling himself up into the recess left by the fuel bag tank when he turned his head to scratch his nose and forgot that he had the scalpel. He fell out of the aircraft with a thin cut in his upper arm but he couldn't move it. After his visit to the hospital we discovered he had cut a nerve and a tendon. It took him six months to recover and all blades were removed from the hangars!

All I can say is: glad it wasn't me!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.