Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a magazine?  (Read 1926 times)

Clive

• Schaarhorn Bloke
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Today, I will be mostly building my Schaarhorn!
Looking for a magazine?
« on: June 24, 2014, 09:34:35 am »

Hello :}

Firstly I don't suppose that anyone out there might happen to know which issue of model boats carried a review of the Caldercraft Schaarhorn would they? Then also I've read a couple of forum notes but gather that no complete index to model boats exists, is this true? {:-{

If it is true then couldn’t we do something about that as a group? I’m not a techy expert but I would be happy to contribute – is there a way we could have a calendar of the years that you could access and select maybe 2 or 3 issues that you could contribute the contents for? Over a year I would happily add as many older issues as I could. Once you selected the issues, they could be locked for say, 2 weeks, and then when you uploaded the content they went green or something.
Am I making any sense at all? If this is all nonsense then I’ll get me coat. :embarrassed:
Cheers
Clive

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Looking for a magazine?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:38:26 am »

That's the most sensible thing I've read today.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 09:47:20 am »

Hi I agree good idea.  Do you mean a list of the contents rather than the articles themselves?  Just checking!  For instance all the old Meccano magazines are on-line to look at.

The format and a place to go to list contents would be a good start.  Virtually all model boat plans are already listed else where, many with the relevant magazine annotated.

regards Roy

Clive

• Schaarhorn Bloke
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 09:58:20 am »

Glad to get the responses guys :-)) , and yes, just the contents - so the data base could be searched for an article, and then you could search for a copy of the magazine. I very much think it should be kept as simple as possible to start with. I would think that adding the contents list of one magazine might take about 15 minutes - very rough idea but we all type at different speeds.

My computer tech knowledge is a little out of date so I was thinking of Microsoft Access but we would need someone who knew their way around it. However, their may be easier to use options available now and things that run faster on the internet.

Cheers
Clive

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 10:10:07 am »

On reflection you would need a data base that was only open to members on Mayhem. We wouldn't want an 'open wickepedia' for the world to have access too.

We could run a thread on here that members contribute too. By using a standard entry of data, the search engine May dig out separate words for a search pattern BUT it would be a massive job.

Just my thoughts

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Clive

• Schaarhorn Bloke
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 10:37:29 am »

Totally agree that it should be members only. I've received and completed a few surveys on “Survey Monkey” which can be adapted to gather all sorts of information.  We would need help but I think you can have a box where you can select the year, another the date, and then have content boxes 1,2,3 etc. that we fill in. The results can be analysed in all sorts of ways and made available to members.
The more thinking caps the better on this one as I don’t know the best solution but do understand that a small input from everyone would rapidly build an index. There are about 768 contents pages to cover and we have 4777 members, so if just over about 16% of us did one magazine each we would be done. :}
 :-))
Clive

davidjt

• Full Mayhemer
  • north wales coast
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 01:12:36 pm »

hi clive,
as regards looking for magazines , I use magazineexchange.co.uk, I have found your magazine you want marine modelling international DEC 1996 it is out of stock, but I use it for reference as regards mags and found what you wanted  :-)), they have all listed model boat mags that have been printed for sale, is that what you mean as a reference

david

ps.  I have just had a look in my collection, and i have got the review, if you want a scan I can send to you if you let me have your email address its only 5 pages just showing how he did his build.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 01:47:46 pm »

This is something I have started over a few years ago, list the contents of magazines back to 1950, the database will also bring up the front cover, Still a few   %%  missing but was getting there, I have done this just using excel as the initial source but was looking to develop a look up system that will list the Mags that relate to the search , the sheet I list also gives basic info, total pages , cost, date, issue , volume , Plan name, size etc

I had no where to go at lunch time.

Larry R

Clive

• Schaarhorn Bloke
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 02:33:15 pm »

Hi David

The scans would be very much appreciated, I'll PM you with the details :-) . Larry, that sounds really useful, excel does have a look up function that will trawl through a spread sheet or several sheets and display the results for you, all depends on how the data is organised. I'm sure there are many different ways of doing it - I've used the systems but never built one unfortunately. {:-{

davidjt

• Full Mayhemer
  • north wales coast
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 03:29:46 pm »

hi clive ,

will get that sorted now and send later tonight  :-))

david

davidjt

• Full Mayhemer
  • north wales coast
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 04:27:24 pm »

hi clive

check your email, I have had to send them like that as my computer struggles, it says they have gone let me no if not  :-))

david

Clive

• Schaarhorn Bloke
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 04:37:32 pm »

All arrived safe and sound, this is very much appreciated as every scrap of info can be so useful :-)) I'll get these printed and have a read later. 8)

Cheers very much
Clive

Clive

• Schaarhorn Bloke
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 09:02:24 am »

:} Hi David, I know it's relatively short but the article was really good and highlighted a couple of useful points, it also printed really well and has gone into my info book O0

Thank you again

Cheers :-))

Clive

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 09:48:20 am »

Hi Thelongbuild, I see you mention you have some missing information.  Is that just the magazines?  If you let me know which ones are missing I can check my lot to see if I can help.  I gp back to 1952 but I have a few missing as well.
regards Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.