Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe Odin build  (Read 13700 times)

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
Robbe Odin build
« on: June 24, 2014, 02:31:16 pm »

[ This is mostly a repost of what I've already posted on Model Tug Forum ]

Hello

For those who aren't on modeltugforum.com here's a little context. This Robbe Odin kit was started 15 years ago when I was a teenager, with my father. I then moved to Paris, went through IT school, got a tiny apartment, ... and essentially it was stuck in limbo for 15 years.

The Odin is based on a series of German harbor tugs from the late 1960s.

Last year I decided to get back into model boats. A little more room, a little more money and I always loved RC "toys"  - be it boats, cars, trucks, planes, helis or more lately drones - even if time was missing.

Anyway I decided to resume this build. Everything was stored in my parents' basement.

Here a pics from the Robbe catalog. Robbe discontinued most of its boat kits including the Odin.

General view

Rear area

Propulsion

Here's the Gruno V one of the two tugs of the same design I've been able to find.

Gruno V underway (Pic: F.Olinga)

Rear area (Pic: Koopmans)

Side view(Pic: F.Olinga)

Gruno V underway (Pic:F.Olinga)

Front view  (Pic: J.Smit)

Gruno V at the ready  (Pic: G.Kuiper)

Back in the days hull, propulsion and deck were installed and painted.  What was left to do was the superstructure, deck equipment (winches, ...), bullwark, lights ...

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
Re: Robbe Odin build
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 02:43:05 pm »

Back in Nov 2013 I spent a few days at my parents' to assess the situation. Surprisingly most if not all parts where there. Only the wheelhouse was missing. A vacuum-formed clear plastic part which had probably been recycled as some sort of container over the years. Oops.

I decided to list what I needed : paint, some replacement electronics, ... I also brought home some homework with me in Paris: a simple hatch.

Rear hatch

That thing took me around 20 hours to make.  :embarrassed:
Small pine wood strips that had to be cut to length (not even a complex pattern !). Three coats of wood stain. Those small stanchions were a bit of a pain in the a** to fit. And I didn't even try to solder them. I just used some CA glue and a small piece of plastic tubing as a sheath to hold everything together.

Also, note to self: don't try and spray paint even "small" parts like this if your kitchen. I ended up with grey dust (thankfully paint doesn't stick past ~40 cm).  {-)

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 03:28:09 pm »

Around Christmas/New Year's Eve I spent a few days at my parents' to work on the Odin.

I had sourced parts and supplies: servos, 2.4Ghz RX, smoke generator, LEDs, paint ...

Back in the days deck was painted with a brush. Color looked weird too (geyish/greenish). While it seemed tough it just didn't look right. I decided to redo the deck with grey (RAL 7001 "silver grey") spray cans. I went with a satin/mat finish. Deck was sanded (down to the ABS), primed with plastic primer. Then primed with universal primer. Wet sanded with 600-grit paper. And finally a few coats of grey.

Problem is, when I flipped the boat over, hull hit the boatstand and a nice big chip of paint (below waterline) just popped off.  <:(

Took barely 30 minutes to get rid of all the hull paint. 15 years back our prep job just sucked. Hull (ABS) was just smooth. No wonder paint just didn't stick.

Again: hull was sanded. Then plastic primer, universal primer. More (wet) sanding. Waterline had to be drawn, masked again. MOAR spray cans. Of course I only found a much cheaper source (1/3rd off !) for these damn cans after most of the paint was done.

Hull with new paint job

Stern with Kort nozzle

Stern with Kort nozzle

Bulwark on deck

Side view with bulwark

Bow with forward deck

Waterline at the bow

Waterline at the bow

I went with RAL 3020 "Traffic red" which is a little too "reddish" (but the pics make it stand out more than it actually is).

Rear deck

Servo hatch cover

Non-functional winch

Winch

Rigid-hulled inflatable boat

Main winch was assembled. It is non functional. RHIB was also painted. The masking job on the RHIB took a good 2 hours.  %%

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 05:06:03 pm »

Fast forward to March 2014

Mock installation of superstructure

Mock installation of superstructure

FiFi platform with servo

Funnel and smoke generator

Funnel and smoke generator

Mast lighting

Superstructure was assembled from stamped ABS parts. Mast is made of a vacuum-formed part in ABS. Small brackets to hold the lights were built from ABS T-profile sections. LEDs were wired with resistors (power supply will be 12V).

Two wooden beams and an aluminium bracket were cut to hold the smoke generator unit under the funnel.

An L-bracket was made from aluminium to hold the servo for the FiFi monitor. We're using a small airplane flap servo. Flap servo usually are very slow (too fast and the plane would probably "jump" around or drop down). It takes around 2 seconds for 60°. End-to-end is around 3 seconds. Using a standard servo would result in a very jittery monitor. +/- 45° is decent.

Smoke generator was test fired (in my parents' basement). Outputs a lot of smoke. Not really realistic on a diesel tug. A diesel engine would emit some black smoke when revving up and then almost no smoke when running. This smoke generator is closer to a steam engine. But anyway, it's just for fun.
Smoke generator will be controlled with a dedicated ESC on a dedicated channel. I'll be able to adjust smoke output through a pot on my TX and I'll mix it with the throttle.

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 05:24:05 pm »

As I said earlier the wheelhouse went missing during those 15 years in storage.

I decided to go the 3D printing route to make a new one. Definitely not "economically viable" but I wanted to play with 3DP which is an interesting technique.

Based on some measurements on the 1:1 (well 1:25 actually !) plan and pictures from ShipSpotting and Marine Traffic I created a 3D model.

Now I'm learning 3D modeling and 3D printing.

Gruno V

Gruno V

Gruno V

Gruno V

Gruno V

Gruno V

3D model

3D model

3D model

3D model

3D model

3D model

3D model

I obviously went for a very simple/boxy design. I piped my design to the printing software (slicer, actually).

Slice 355 out of 735

Raft and support structures

The model is cut into hundreds of slices. Printing head will then move around and deposit melted plastic in small layers (0.06mm to 0.2mm depending on settings).

Supports were enabled. Model is "grown" from layers of plastic. You can't really print in the air (well actually to some extend you can). The slicer adds extra support structures (in blue/green) that you just snap off when the print is complete.

As I said earlier the wheelhouse went missing during those 15 years in storage.

I decided to go the 3D printing route to make a new one. Definitely not "economically viable" but I wanted to play with 3DP which is an interesting technique.

Based on some measurements on the 1:1 (well 1:25 actually !) plan and pictures from ShipSpotting and Marine Traffic I created a 3D model.

Now I'm learning 3D modeling and 3D printing.

Gruno V

Gruno V

Gruno V

Gruno V

Gruno V

Gruno V

3D model

3D model

3D model

3D model

3D model

3D model

3D model

I obviously went for a very simple/boxy design. I piped my design to the printing software (slicer, actually).

Slice 355 out of 735

Raft and support structures

The model is cut into hundreds of slices. Printing head will then move around and deposit melted plastic in small layers (0.06mm to 0.2mm depending on settings).

Supports were enabled. Model is "grown" from layers of plastic. You can't really print in the air (well actually to some extend you can). The slicer adds extra support structures (in blue/green) that you just snap off when the print is complete.

Here's a video of the printer at work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM5Oa5pixQM

And here's what you get after hours of printing:

PLA print

PLA print

This is one of my first prints with the printer. A lot to learn when is comes to printing. Lots of settings to play with.

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 05:29:42 pm »

Previous 3D model was missing doors and hinges.

Wheelhouse with hinges

Hinges (X-Ray)

Wheelhouse with door

Door

Door section

Test "wall"

Door on test "wall"

Door and test rig

After some deburring

I just used small bits from a paperclip as hing pins. Had to wiggle them into the holes that were printed. And voila, working doors.

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 05:47:12 pm »

Fast forward one month to May 2013

Back at the shipyard, progress may look slow but there was quite a lot of work done. Detailing is sloooooow.

Overall view

Superstructure

RHIB mount

Life raft launcher

Mast with railing

Water inlet

Water pump

Water pump

Stanchions and brass railings, RHIB mount and life raft launcher (coat hanger + brass stanchions) were sub-contracted to my father.

3D printed wheelhouse looks scale/decent but .... doesn't fit on the upper deck. There are two "tabs" on which the wheelhouse should lock. My model is off by a couple millimeters ...

All lights are ready. 21 LEDs split in 6 groups. Small deck lights were made from ABS profile. Took three or four coats of black to make them opaque before they were installed.

Water pump and fire monitor were tested. Range is approximately 3.5m (12ft). I'll be able to harass people at the pond.  :D

Water inlet was installed as low as possible. It's held in place by a nut and there's an o-ring to keep things water tight. I could of course glue it in place to be sure. Water pump is a gear pump. Quite noisy. It is installed as low as possible as it is not self-priming. Rubber bushing/dampeners were used to reduce vibrations.

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 05:53:29 pm »

As I said above my previous 3D printed wheelhouse didn't fit on the deck.

Back in May I created an exact model of the upper deck in SketchUp with the two centering tabs. I then designed a new wheelhouse from scratch to fit right on.

Wheelhouse is slightly less boxy, but still a very basic design. I still suck at modeling curvy stuff.

3D Wheelhouse

3D Wheelhouse

Top view

Side view

Front view

Rear view

Deck and floor

Deck and floor

Sadly my 3D printer is out of order and I'm waiting on replacement parts. I hope I'll be able to print this new wheelhouse and resume work on the Odin. But the wheelhouse is actually not that critical and can be installed later actually.

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 08:43:11 pm »

Err ... I somehow suspect I'm not in the right (sub-)forum.  Maybe this should be moved to the "Work boat forum" (not R&D) ?

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 10:49:40 pm »

Very interesting, keep it coming!
The Odin is one of those kits that I started to want after it was discontinued! I'm a bit slow there.
All the best!
Hama

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 11:10:19 pm »

It's not too late, there's a kit listed on eBay Germany: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Bausatz-Hafenschlepper-Odin-Beschlagsatz-Antrieb-von-Robbe-Neu-/331238547361?pt=RC_Modellbau&hash=item4d1f5b1fa1  {-)

650 EUR might seem a little steep but it seems it comes with all fittings, propulsion, ... (no ESC/RX/TX of course)

I almost bought it and then thought "nah! we'll build something else". I got a Graupner Parat hull for 50EUR on ebay.de. I'll build a semi-Parat, printing missing parts. Or maybe turn it into another tractor tug. The Parat hull is supposed to be great at towing/maneuvering and Voith-Schneider drives seem fun to play with (and a little odd !).

But you're right, with now Graupner out of business and Robbe moving away from model boats, things are getting a bit more complicated.
I might indulge myself with a Robbe Düsseldorf ARTR firefighting boat just for having three fire monitors to mess with people around the pond. {-)

Anyway there are still smaller shops making great kits or semi-kits in Germany.

This guy has a Delta Tug / Smit Bronco semi-kit : http://www.modellbau-sievers.de/
I love it ! I like my springer, pushing stuff around. I'd love a bigger/meaner pusher tug.
On a French forum a guy posted pics of their Damen Stan Tug 1906 kit. Looks pretty well made.

seathug

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 06:20:03 pm »

Hi calimero

I didnt know you have odin tugboat
I just love the looks of that single kortnozzle
Hmmmm I wonder if that would fit on a aziz
Two steering kortnozzles  {-)
And that nozzle looks really big compare to the aziz

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 08:30:45 pm »

Yep big nozzle. Prop diameter is 95mm inside a 100mm nozzle.

A little too big for your Aziz. ;)

seathug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 09:22:36 pm »

A little too big
yup like what she always say
 {-)
The bigger the better isnt it?
I have always thought that the nozzles are a bit small for my kit

Hopefully  next project odin tugboat :-))
But fixed kortnozzle
if I can find anything bigger than the odin kortnozzles that would be it
I want to try and experiment with those nozzles

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 10:39:54 pm »

Quote from: seathug
A little too big
yup like what she always say

{-)
The bigger the better isnt it?

Now you're bragging !  :}

I have always thought that the nozzles are a bit small for my kit

Well the Aziz is 1:50 while the Odin is 1:25. And you should be able to get a very decent amount of thrust with twin 50mm props.

I was really surprised how well my little springer performed with a single 45mm prop (large blade area is the key).

Hopefully  next project odin tugboat :-))
But fixed kortnozzle
if I can find anything bigger than the odin kortnozzles that would be it
I want to try and experiment with those nozzles

The biggest issue with the Odin is that she has been discontinued for quite some time now. You can snatch a kit or a partial build here and there (just like the german ebay listing above) but that kit will get harder and harder to get.

Mobile Marine has 110mm nozzles. I don't know on which tug they fit them. Maybe the huge FT-X they had at some point. Or you could scratch build.

I'm eyeing up a shallow draft coastal tug in 1:25 scale with twin fixed nozzles (Smit Bronco). 41" x  16". Bit of an oddball: half tugboat, half pusher, half workboat (yep, three halves !).

But first I need to wrap up the Odin - most of the work should be over by the end of summer. Then I got a Graupner Parat hull for a few bucks and I want to experiment with Voith-Schneider drives.

And maybe build a larger, more powerful twin kort springer. This scaled-up springer would mostly be an exercise to learn 3D modelling and to work with the 2-axis CNC cutting machines we have at the club's workshop.

So many things to do, so little time !  %%

seathug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 11:10:58 pm »

Lol sounds like you have a lot of boats at your disposal
Have you ever tried planking a wooden boat before?

Was wondering someone would be willing to make a hull for me
With a price of course
Its just a basic double end round hull

Like the fantail launch boat
Front and back are the same

Something like this

I tried it before but I gave up on it
it always turns out ugly and heavy
 {-)
need to be something like planking and glassed or something like that

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 12:37:57 am »

Lol sounds like you have a lot of boats at your disposal
Have you ever tried planking a wooden boat before?

Nope. Not yet. And I'm not really in a hurry to try. Though with the CNC machines at the workshop, cutting the frames might be much easier.

More ... senior members at my club tend to build mostly plank-on-frame boats.  I'm not sure I have the patience it takes.

I have an offshore catamaran Black Jack 29" from Proboat. I got it last year when I went back to model boats. Under the right circumstances she goes up to 45-50mph. When she blows over hardware takes a beating. I need to epoxy a new piece of plywood inside the hull at the transom where the hardware is attached. A little too fast for my new pond. I usually run her on a pond in a public park in Paris.

I just got myself a small 17" ARTR catamaran from Hobby King (the Centurion, how dramatic !). Got it two weeks ago. Fun to play with. Though she's only doing around 25mph, it looks much faster because she's so tiny. Nicely fits on the smaller pond I now mostly sail on.

I still have the first boat I got as a kid. A small yacht (think Chris Craft 1960s), the Carina from Graupner, around 20". Very relaxing. Was my recovery boat until the springer took over a few months ago. I'm going to install lights on her.

I'm working on the Odin. I just got a Graupner Parat hull.

I also have a huge offshore cat hull (Drifter XL) that I was to run with a petrol engine. I'm probably going to put a couple brushless motors and off we go. Some crazy guys run them at 80mph+. I don't want to go that route (my heart wouldn't stand it !). Half that speed would probably very nice and I'd rather have more run time. Maybe build her as semi-scale and not a pure race/speed boat. I thought I'd be able to work on this in 2014 but tugs took over !

My father also found a good old Robbe Sea Jet. Would probably  be a very appropriate watercraft for Hawaii !
I think I'm just going to retrofit a nice brushless motor. Probably won't need that much work. Just need to find the right gear (single motor, two props, a lot of noise !). Don't want something too crazy, just a little faster than the original setup. I would reuse the 3S LiPos I use in the Black Jack.

I also have a small outrigger (Graupner Taifun) laying around. It started with a glow engine. Very quick during the very brief moments it ran fine. Tweaking a .15CU OS glow engine (your first glow engine, of course !) on a speed boat is a rain PITA. Engine would just stall as you tossed the boat in the water. Or it would just stall when you had the weakness to go under 50% of throttle. Very finicky. But awesome when it worked.

Before my father and I completely got insane, we ditched the glow engine and set it up with an electric motor. No brushless, no LiPos back then. Performances were below the screaming OS glow engine, but at least an afternoon at the pond meant more than 30 seconds of racing. Right now the Taifun is a dead hull. I might look into it. Probably wouldn't take too much work to get it running again with a brushless motor.

seathug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 10:31:29 pm »

Gee I wish my father was in to scale boat too
But nope his in to swinging at that small golf ball

That sure keep you busy with all of that boats you have there
i think im getting obsessed with that bangka boat I want to build
Im trying to get one from philippines
Hopefully they can make that hull for me

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 02:04:52 pm »

The Odin was finally launched a few weeks ago but I only got to edit the video footage today.

I've failed to post updates in this topic but everything is on my website.

Custom cart - Roll-on/roll-off cart

Custom cart - Single-operator (me!)

Odin at dusk -

Odin at dusk -

Here's the video on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ann71BNxslc

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 03:08:32 pm »

That is one nice model.
The deck lights are just right and the exhaust smoke is great.
Congratulations on a first class build.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 04:32:37 pm »

Very nice :-))  Looks like the Odin has a very efficient hull design, compared to some more modern tug designs. It seems to cut through the water without much effort at all.

Charlie

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 12:24:15 am »

Thanks guys ! Still a few things to do: mast rigging, wheelhouse interior (3D printing !), detail work (handls/dogs on doors, ...)

Odin was back in the bath tub tonight. Had to trim the stern down. Added another 2kg of lead in various spots.

I also figured out why the FiFi monitor wouldn't work. The hose going from the water inlet to the filter made a sharp U-turn essentially cutting all water flow ... Hose was changed for one with bigger/stiffer walls and it now works great.

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 10:49:26 am »

nice job had the odin sailed it sold it wish I/d kept it now ...bill...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.