Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modular Boat  (Read 2510 times)

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Modular Boat
« on: June 26, 2014, 12:03:15 pm »

With today's work consisting of chipping the paint from a RN ships RAS winch motor my mind went for a meander and I got to thinking on how little space I have at home to work on my boats with and how this restricted my model choice.
Talk in the workshop was about when the last bits of the carrier will leave the main shed and I got thinking; how hard would it be to make a model in sections? A bit like the canoe sized SS Ohio of Unbuiltnautilus but in 12 inch ish sections.
The only restictions I can see are the prop shaft length and superstructure.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
Re: Modular Boat
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 12:45:08 pm »

Paul Cook's nine foot Gato sub was built in three sections to aid transporting the brute...he simply plugs the electrics in and joins the sections together with a few bolts, and away he goes.

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 01:26:33 pm »

I was thinking the same myself.
Motor and steering in 1 section, power in another etc. The joins could be hidden in the hull detail on the right model, old riveted ships spring to mind.
Currently making a Revell corvette which is proving to be a right royal pain as I only have a 2 foot square work area. At the moment it is sat in the loft waiting for the cooler weather as it's the only spot in the house I can work on the model - the dining table has been declared OOB by SWMBO after she found me sorting the rigging on my DF65 the other day.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 01:30:47 pm »

Up until a few weeks ago, I had to build my subs in my bedroom on an old school desk of '50s vintage...now I'm really flash, I have two sections of loft board screwed to the desk which makes building a lot easier. Still in the bedroom though...you can tell I live alone, can't you?  %)

Rich
Rich

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 01:38:32 pm »

Lol, I have to use a fold up BBQ table in front room and all has to get packed away when I stop - not really enough room in the house for a workstation but hopefully we will be buying a bigger house soon.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 03:11:09 pm »

This is my build area...I have to do everything here, including spraying. Mind you, I do sleep well after a session with the rattle cans! ;D

Rich
Rich

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 03:29:56 pm »

I wish ! I managed to pick up a nice spray gun and compressor off of fleabay awhile back but SWMBO does not want that in the house either. Soooooo looking forward buying our next house so I can build me a man cave. I used to use our outside loo as my spray booh (the spiders did't mind) for spraying up my models ( used to make/paintball my nephews WH40k stuff) and I had a work station/computer desk in the study/spare room but we are decorating the place with a view to selling so are 'de cluttering' the place. :((

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 03:39:32 pm »

IMHO 'Decluttering' means 'Get that lot out of here'  <:( <:( <:(

Ned

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 03:57:12 pm »

Or 'get your junk out of here'
My computer work station was the size of a double wardrobe (used to run a Motorcycle group and had a lot of paperwork). When she decided to get rid of it she wondered where all my junk came from. But still, in the next 6 months to a year we should be in a new house. She mainly wants somewhere to park the car off of the main road and I can get a man cave

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 04:41:31 pm »

This is my build area...I have to do everything here, including spraying. Mind you, I do sleep well after a session with the rattle cans! ;D

Rich

Hmmm, I have the box room which has a U shaped bench, down one side is approx 10ft long.

BUT the more space you seem to have the more you seem to pile stuff in there, Don't we Rich, after all those sub's I've had off you  ok2 {-)
I've found I've ended up working on about  4ft of that long bench doing my small tug  {:-{

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 05:06:21 pm »

Rich
When we converted the outside loo to an indoor one, SWIMBO noticed the multicoloured walls and that's when she banned me from spraying. I miss those happy rattle can 'Chaos Black'  snot evenings

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 04:07:46 pm »

While watching the Portsmouth Medel Boat lets blow things up team at the weekend I realised I could just use a modular system to build the boat. The hull would have to be wood and just split the sections up into manageble sizes with a double frame join between each section.
SWMBO brownie points would be gained from taking up less space only to be used up when final asembly is done on the dining table.
Now I just want to finish the Revell Corvette and start a new build.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.