Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HFM ORSV  (Read 3846 times)

bat44

• Full Mayhemer
HFM ORSV
« on: June 25, 2014, 11:12:51 pm »

so here we go again in at the deep end with another all plastic model.don't know why because i hate this type of kit,the only thing i can think of is that :1 nothing better to do :2 all ways wonted to do one of these :3 only paid 40 pounds for the kit :4 haven't seen one for a long time :5 haven't learnt my lesson, oh well never mind.
     So where to start first thing to do was to read the instructions,OK i could go on and say how good or how bad they are so all i will say is I've seen better

Midland Models, Leicester,  Offshore tug

bat44

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HFM ORSV
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 11:26:41 pm »

so the first thing to do was to cut all the mouldings out. So 3 hours latter all parts were cut out. Care had to be taken as the moulding process was a bit off on some of the parts,but saying that i only had a problem with one of the mouldings

bat44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 11:35:34 pm »

So with all the parts cut out up next prop shaft and rudder. the kit comes with a fixed kort nozzle and rudder, but as i had a working kort nozzle to hand so this was going to be used.

bat44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 11:47:39 pm »

to make sure the prop shaft and the kort nozzle were set right, I first cut a disc out to fit on the prop shaft and then to fit inside the nozzle,then these were clued into the hull. then if we have done it right the prop should be in the centre of the nozzle

bat44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 12:14:47 am »

the kit instructions say you should use a 380 motor for power but I'm going with a low drain 540 motor with the mtroniks 15 esc and this was clued in with clear silicone. then the servo support and battery mounts plus the esc and receiver mounts were clued in. well that's it for now the boss has just spoken, up next the deck 

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 02:58:55 am »

Morning bat44........

1. you have made a good job of centralizing the prop to the Kort nozzle
2. however you may experience a lack of steering preciseness, as the swivel Kort nozzle that you have substituted was designed for a larger diameter propeller
3. look at some images of matching sets of propeller's & nozzles .......I am sure you find the clearance between the OD tip of each blade to the ID of the nozzle is very close

Let us know how you get on......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

bat44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 06:50:15 am »

Morning Derek yes i know the prop is a bit small for the kort nozzel,but as this is the only one i have it will have to do. Was thinking of making the cap less by clueing some plastic strip inside the nozzle if i cannot get a bigger prop.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 07:12:28 am »

bat44....yes ...your latter thought will certainly help  :-))........

1. just measure the ID of the original nozzle to the OD of the prop & keep the same diametrical clearances
2. may need to taper or feather/blend the plastic insert strip both on the inboard & outboard ........ or entry & exit
3. this will eliminate or at least minimise any turbulence   O0

Good luck..........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 07:17:51 am »

Nice! I built one of these a few years ago and really liked it. It's a good size and you can build it after your own imagination, mine turned into a Maersk vessel.
Good luck with yours!
Hama

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 09:44:31 am »

2. however you may experience a lack of steering preciseness, as the swivel Kort nozzle that you have substituted was designed for a larger diameter propeller

I too think that such amount of clearance between propeller blade tips (i.e. Kaplan-type) and inner nozzle diameter, as is visible from the photo,
will hardly be seen on original ducted props as it would notably reduce the efficiency of the shrouded propulsion.
I also would suggest that you searched for a larger diameter prop.
You could lathe the tips until it fits with only a small gap into the nozzle.

bat44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 04:42:55 pm »

Was thinking of making the inside of nozzle smaller, by glueing some plastic card on the inside. Thats only because i'm trying to do this build on the cheap
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.