Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Nor-Star Waverider Plans anyone?  (Read 13036 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Nor-Star Waverider Plans anyone?
« on: July 09, 2007, 02:58:38 pm »

I've seen a couple of these boats about recently, can anyone help me with plans?
Failing that that, if you have one, any chance you could make a set of templates by tracing around you boat for me?
(Deck, All for chines & transom)

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Captain Povey

Re: Nor-Star Waverider Plans anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 04:49:17 pm »

Hi Martin, Where did you dig out that info on the Waverider - fantasic.. I am trying to down load it and print it to put with my refurbished model which is the one in your picture and was at the Mayhem weekend having had a bit more work done it. I have also upped the volts to 12 to get more speed but have not had a chance to try it yet. I live in a bit of a boating desert as it is all flying around here. Unfortunately the plans went missing ages ago but I am more than willing to help with tracing things but as bit of a boating numpty need you to tell me exactly what you want and how to do it. Incidently at the Mayhem weekend there was a chap (forgotten his name already) who sold me the radio for the Smit Nederland I was refurbishing who was also giving away some old plans. In there I found a copy of a Fairey Swordsman described as a classic 1960's power boat for r/c, designed by Dave Milbourn (a name I recall). These plans were free with model boats magazine issue 582. It looks a bit like the Waverider and the construction is the same. In fact it probably looks better than the waverider. If you are interested I will try to get a copy done and send it to you as well. Incidently after one of my postingd Roger in France contacted me and it seems he also has a Waverider so perhaps he still has his plans. Good luck and Cheers Graham  :)

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 05:43:00 pm »

Got a Wave-Princess which it is possible I may be able to copy the stern and other parts if thats any good or I may be persuaded to part with it for a suitable figure
                                                      Cheers
                                                            BobB       
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 10:06:56 pm »

I'll stick with the Waverider for now. Here's another picture....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Captain Povey

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 05:38:18 pm »

Nice one Martin, whose is it? I like the rope around the top. I am looking at putting some protection around mine. My steering at the Mayhem weekend was terrible and I drove into the wall several times  :-[. I have also put another horn on the servo to get more rudder movement as it was not turning quickly enough even after fitting a bigger rudder. There does not seem to be anybody out there with plans so do you want me to try to get some basic info off the model? Cheers Graham.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 06:21:52 pm »

Hi Graham,
Yes if you have an odd piece of wallpaper, could you trace around the bit please?
Thanks,
Martin

Captain Povey

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 08:19:46 pm »

Ok Martin I will have a go. I will also post some pictures of the the inside but dont laugh as it is pretty rough in which will try to show the construction. Cheers Graham

Roger in France

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 07:23:52 am »

Hi Martin,

I have a "Waverider" and I think I still have the plans somewhere. If I can dig them out (later today) I will gladly post them to you (to keep) at your usual address.

Possibly as a quid pro quo, and as your a computing wizard, please have a look at my query in "General Chit Chat" entitled "DVDS & photographs", maybe you can reply.

Roger in France.

(Spell Checker and Preview frozen!)

Captain Povey

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 09:35:14 am »

Hi Roger and Martin, I just started to copy the boat on to paper as suggested  but it was not going too well so if Roger has a set of plans it would be for the best. Cheers Graham. :)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 12:17:42 pm »

Sounds like Captain Povey will be demoted and swabbing the decks by the end of the week!  ;)

Captain Povey

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 02:37:25 pm »

Well Martin I was demoted to swabbing the decks some time ago and am more afraid of being sent to the bilge pumps. ie cleaning out the cat litter trays. :(

Roger in France

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 04:39:57 pm »

Martin,

Very sorry, I have searched and searched but cannot find the plans. I guess they were "discarded" some years ago when I moved to France. I was convinced I still had them as I seldom throw things away!

Roger in France.

Captain Povey

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 11:22:33 am »

Fantastic Martin. I did not see it on ebay , does it go? I cant remember whether I have put some pictures of my Waverider on here or not so here a re few anyway. It has changed a bit since these pictures. Bigger battery and more go faster stickers. Cheers Graham.

mr t

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 07:01:09 pm »

hi folks, have just been given a unbuilt kit of the wave rider might i ask is it worth anything or should i just build it?

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 07:09:06 pm »

building it will give you far more pleasure, than the money it probably fetches would, judging by low prices of models on ebay and here in the adds. And you will have something to enjoy for years to come.

That would be my slant on the subject.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

mr t

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2016, 08:16:18 pm »

building it will give you far more pleasure, than the money it probably fetches would, judging by low prices of models on ebay and here in the adds. And you will have something to enjoy for years to come.

That would be my slant on the subject.

Jim.
that that sorted then, time to get building!

scout

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2016, 08:29:15 pm »

Hi Martin I have a hull that I was given several years ago I think I have just found out what it is looks very much like the Waverider  it is yours if you can arrange collection from Sutton Bridge telephone - removed - Admin  :-) as internet is US at present yours Scout   
Try sitting on the fence while keeping your ear to the ground

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 12:58:40 pm »

Sorry to revive an old thread - but did anyone find a copy of the plans or get drawings of the main dimensions of the Waverider? I built one years ago, lovely boat, but long since gone. I'd very much like to build another. I'm trying to use some of the pictures in this thread to generate drawings, but it's a slow and painful (and inaccurate!) work.
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 01:52:48 pm »

Hi Guys
I have a PDF copy of the Swordsman if that helps.

Canabus

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 02:30:58 pm »

Hi Guys
I have a PDF copy of the Swordsman if that helps.

Canabus

Thank you, it is mostly the shape of the hull i am after, not sure how much the Swordsman had in common with the Waverider - would be very useful if they were closely related. I'll probably be making the structure lighter to suit a modern electric motor rather than a shaky old diesel!
Dave

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2019, 11:15:30 am »

Precisely one month since my last post in this thread, I have just bought a started but complete Waverider. If it just ends up as a set of templates, I'll be happy, but hopefully the original bid will be salvageable as well.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2019, 01:55:30 pm »

:-))

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2019, 02:41:57 pm »

I meant 'hopefully the original build will be salvageable'!!

(I blame the heat!)

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2019, 04:05:31 pm »

I have finally managed to take a good look at what I bought. Sold as a part-complete Waverider, it is, but in any useable way. I suspect the seller had picked it up at a clearance or car-boot sale. It looks as if everything is there, but the keel & frames that had been assembled are useless as the ply has delaminated. Luckily, the powder and water glue supplied with the kit (probably Cascamite) hadn't done too well and the parts came apart with a little gentle persuasion. They can be used as templates, at least.

The rest of kit, in its box (price on the front 69/11!) has obviously been stored somewhere better than the assembled parts. I have now vacuumed away the loose powdered glue - everything had simply been tipped into a cardboard box and posted, no protection at all.

I now have a reasonable kit including plans for a Waverider, and will be building it, using a lighter construction than the original 3/4" ply keel assembly!

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2019, 07:38:25 pm »

Oh yeah, the Waverider was built like a tank!

I had one in the early 80s and I upgraded it to an Enya 19 after a while with a much smaller motor, and with that it made a successful return crossing of Swanage Bay, controlled from a chase boat of course.  :-)

A cracking boat.  :-))
Regards
Kit
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.