Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odin - motor needed  (Read 2565 times)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
Odin - motor needed
« on: June 04, 2017, 06:53:45 pm »

Some time back I swopped a Wedico model truck for a newly built Odin tug.
This is a fairly large model that has been beautifully finished and I think it was made from a Robbe kit ?
Now I am retired I have decided that I either want to get this model on the water or try to swop it for something a little closer to my main interest of 1/24 scale coastal command craft, but the model has  a small problem that I need to fix before I can do either !
The motor will turn over freely, but will not turn under power. At first I suspected the speed controller so I removed this and put power directly to the motor from a 6 volt lead acid battery but it did not turn!
Now I will remove the motor to see if I can do anything to coax it back to life, but it is a very strange looking motor that Robbe have designed the model to take and so I may need to find out what type it is.
The motor looks just like a short version of a model aircraft starter motor with a fat black coloured body with mounded yellow ends - making it look even more like a model aircraft starter motor.
Does anyone know what this motor is and if it is still available from anywhere?

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Odin - motor needed
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 08:59:47 pm »

That is probably a Robbe 1000 motor as this was the one supplied for the Odin ,in which case it will be a 12 volt motor not 6 volt, so try it on 12 and see what happens,
If it doesn't work change it for a 12 volt car fan motor very cheap from breakers yards, I use them all the time to swing props over 4".   Geo

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 10:22:24 pm »

Car heater fan motors are highly recommended by many tug boat aficionados!

NB: Yes it is the same motor as the aero boys use to start glow engines etc.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 10:26:09 am »

Thanks tugmad,

That does indeed look exactly like the motor in my Odin.

I could not get any response on 12 volts so I took the motor out of the boat and opened it up.

Two things I noticed that did not make me overly happy - firstly the long M5 studs that pass through the motor were corroded along their entire length and the nuts and washers that screwed on onto them to keep the motor end caps on ( and to fix the motor into the hull) were all badly corroded.

Then I spotted the reason why the motor would not run - the red positive wire was not soldered onto the brush terminal!

I replaced and/or cleaned and greased the corroded M5 studding, nuts and washers, and soldered the red wire onto the brush terminal and reassembled everything.

The motor now spins and runs really smoothly - and is obviously a "new and unused" motor as it could never have run on the black negative wire alone!

Unfortunately the (also new and unused) speed controller is totally dead so I have replaced it and now have a tug that can run and steer - but at the moment it is devoid of the masses or optional electronic devices and mounting boards that I had to remove to dig the motor out from it's well hidden cave at the bottom of the hull.

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 11:33:49 am »

Well done Zooma , a little perseverance pays off again, they are really good motors and do not pull many amps even direct driving a 4" prop so you should have no more trouble with it.  Geo.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 11:42:25 am »

Well done Zooma , a little perseverance pays off again, they are really good motors and do not pull many amps even direct driving a 4" prop so you should have no more trouble with it.  Geo.

Thanks for your help Geo.   :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.677 seconds with 22 queries.