Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Graupner Moonraker build  (Read 30761 times)

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Graupner Moonraker build
« on: June 28, 2014, 07:27:14 pm »

Since I saw videos of these hugely impractical and ruinously expensive things on eBay I (foolishly) thought "that's the boat for me!". After much hunting about on eBay.de I found one with a seller willing to post.

Here's where I am so far; the mechanicals are all done, jet drives fitted, motors on, esc's connected. She's running a pump to water cool the esc's (which will probably be switchable). There's also a bow thruster. Using two robbe navy 70a brushed esc; one for the steering jets and one for the booster. The bow thruster is running off a 30a robbe esc and the pump with be off a 20a mtroniks jobbie I found in the bits box.

I'll be running her off 3x 8ah 4s lipos to hopefully give a reasonable top speed and decent run times. Depending on how this goes i might go for a brushless setup to give a bit more oomph.

She will be getting full lights and probably an action electronics noisy thing for sound.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Graupner Moonraker build
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 10:59:41 pm »

I seem to have neglected the build thread on here as for a while not very much had been done. I wanted to get plenty of run time with her to iron out any bugs before I started on the detail work.

Had some issues with debris getting into the jets, first time the motor burnt out, the second two times the couplers broke. Ill probably be adding some mesh screens to try and stop this in future.

Other things that have come to light are that the steering servo was far to weak, as where those on the reversing buckets. Ive replaced the steering servo which has solved the problem, but I still need to replace the reversing ones.

I fitted 3 speed 700 neodyms recently to up the performance, but whilst the boat shifts Im going to be switching to a brushless setup to get higher efficiency and therefore longer run times. 

Also to facilitate use of this model I've bought a Robbe F-14 navy with decoder switches etc and a horn sound module. 

So I've pretty much finished all the building bits, I've added lighting, including added lights for the rear bit. Planned I need to hook up a couple of 360 servos to the radars (which currently rotate but arent powered). I need to add LEDS for the top sun deck, in the launch alcove and I'm thinking some underwater lights too!

This boat has been tortureous at times, theres been an aweful lot of sanding, cutting and fileing! However I think the results have been worth it! The railings where particularly theraputic, despite snapping two drill bits! The spiral stairs also worked out quite nicely!

Any way some pictures of the progress so far:

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 12:20:43 pm »

I've decided to convert my moonraker to brushless, mainly for longer run times (but the extra speed will be nice). To necessitate this I've had to beef up the couplings and buy some adapter mounts so the 700 bolt spacing can be adapted to the 25mm spacing on 540 brushless cans.

After looking on hobby king I've decided to go for the Dr mad thrust 3674 1600kv motors. These have a similar KV to the speed 700 neodyms I'm replacing and where fairly cheap (but looked to have better performance than the turnigy xk series). 

To controls these I've gone for the hobby king 90a esc. I've used these in a few of my other boats and they seem solid.

The couplings I bought from Steve tranter at model boat bits. After a chat with Steve explaining what I was trying to achieve ended up with Steve using 4mm grub screws to cope with the higher power.

I've also added a tray for the 3 8ah 4s lipos that power the boat

I'm trying to keep the internals tidy but  there's quite a lot to pack in!

Other updates include connecting all the lighting. I'm using a robbe f14 so I can individually switch the different lights. Currently I have the top cabin l, bottom cabin, navigation, masthead and rear deck lights all on different circuits.

I've added spinning radar using 360 degree modded servos (although in hindsight I would have used geared motors as they're easier to run off my f14).

The next task will be painting, I'm also considering how best to do the railings. I'm currently leaning towards alcad.

Paul R

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 04:57:56 pm »

Hi Tom,

Your Moonraker looks good, if you have a look at KWPMBC website and go to gallery, you'll see some pics of mine completed a few years ago. A word of advice regarding your mtr upgrades. The jet drives will only handle so many revs so be carefull when you test with the brushless setup complete. Its the turbine blades in the drives that are prone to shearing off, if they do, you're looking at new jet drives once you've dug the old ones out, (very time consuming).

Upgrading the motors in this kit is common though as the 700BB turbos don't give exactly sparkling performance on the water, so its tempting to upgrade.

However, any modeller who completes a Moonraker build is to be congratulated as its really one big paint job from start to finish with a lot of filling & sanding in between!

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 05:55:24 pm »

Here's a couples of the function tests I did.

http://youtu.be/nvSPuRW6A5k

http://youtu.be/dO92Dc-4DZM

Paul, your moonraker has been a source of inspiration, the paint job looks awesome!

Regarding the motors I tried to match the KV fairly closely. I feel slightly embaraced to say that I might have been misguided in changing the motors, I was finding if I gave it the full beans the low voltage alarms where going off. I assumed as the speed 700 neodyms are quite current hungry it was that. However I've since found there's an issue with my alarms :S

However the deed is done and hopefully if nothing else run times will be improved!

I'm still struggling to figure out how I'll paint it, I don't really have the space at home so I might have to get a friendly car sprayer to do it!

Oh the sanding! So much don't and so much left to do! Go a few bits that need smoothing out. It's been very rewarding so far however!

Paul R

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 05:28:18 pm »

Hi Tom,

You've really committed to this Moonraker of yours, I can tell by the amount of work you have put in on the lighting and radars etc. The only downside of a comprehensive lighting system is the amount of wiring you have to go with it, its unavoidable I know.

I painted my Moonraker during the summer months out on the patio and in the garage. I built a temporary spray booth, with a cheap hob extractor above it ducted outside (from B&Q) in the garage to extract the paint fumes and excess spray. As Moonraker is so long I had to build a spray booth, I didn't know how else I was going to paint it.

I used Halfords car aerosols and lost count of how many cans I had to purchase & the cost, so taking it to a vehicle paint shop as you suggest makes sense to me, probably cheaper too. I'd be interested to know if you do actually get longer run times with the brushless set-up as my feeling is that you might not. We know there efficient, but there also current thirsty so i'll be intrigued to find out...

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 12:37:15 pm »

Had a chance to go play boats on Saturday so took the najade, moonraker and the new Riva to the pond.

I think I've learnt the lessons of my last jet drive brushless conversion! The moonraker ran almost without a hitch (the horn on one of the reversing bucket servos came off) and one of the esc reset mid pond. However aside from this she ran brilliantly. The speed is incredible. I didn't have her much past half throttle most of the time (but theories and esc stayed stone cold).

I need to have a play with her trim because there was some porpoising, although the pond did get choppy which didn't help. 

Regarding battery life I ran her about 30 minutes and voltage had only dropped to 15.5v so I'll see how much was actually used when I charge the packs up again.

Also the lights radars and reversing buckets all worked perfectly off the f14.

For now here's a couple of vids.

http://youtu.be/R0pSL4gKeBI

http://youtu.be/ArquWSeG3P0

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 12:40:52 pm »

Looks good but a bit over speed me thinks there Tom, at least she didn't take off!

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 12:53:49 pm »

I like to run my boats scale speed but as the pond was empty I thought I'd give her the beans!

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 02:15:58 pm »

Looks good Tom I have sent you a pm re sound units.

Stan

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 11:57:42 pm »

Finally pulling my finger out with the moonraker, two coats of primer rubbed down to get a nice smooth surface. This evening I started on the gloss white, two coats so far.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 08:17:15 pm »

The trimming was done in BMW gloss jet black. Masking was fun and took time, however it was worth it in the end.

I've also started on the under water lighting, 14 green 5mm LEDs.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 08:19:44 pm »

A question for the paint gurus, I need some tips to stop the Orange peel effect when laquering. I've done some tests on the White sprayed onto styrene but keeps coming out the same.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 11:52:59 am »

Well next up came the stage I was dreading, the laquer. I've never  <*<been one for clear coating after some bad experiences. However this boat really requires it to get that high gloss wet look.

So sticking with the halfords paint system applied the laquer to the bottom to test:

So far so good, proceeded to the sides. Disaster! I was slightly liberal with that application and it ran....no problem I thought can always cut it back with some wet and dry.

Upon closer inspection I noticed the the laquer had attacked the paint and ruined the pinstripes I'd carefully masked off earlier  >>:-(  <:(

Let this be a lesson kids, don't go crazy with the laquer!

So back to the drawing board:

And back to where I started:

Take two:

I'll call that a win! There's a slight distortion which I've yet to decide if I can live with, but it's only small

Atlantic Mouldings

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 10:23:23 pm »

Looking Good , I too have always had issues with laquer but think you've cracked it.  :-))

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 10:10:56 am »

Finished off the rest of the hull last night, added the vinyls as well!

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 11:55:15 am »

Half the underwater LEDs done!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 10:56:25 pm »

Hi Tom......underwater LED %) ..........is the actual lens bulb of each individual LED cemented/glued directly to the hull?...or is there a protective strip/shield?....in either case...

1. what type of cement/glue is used?
2. how is one LED removed & replaced....if it fused or blew?

If the vessel was in OZ....I could see a few MBM members with hand nets with long handles catching a few prawns for the BBQ O0..........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 12:03:33 am »

Managed to finish the LEDs tonight!

Derek, they're a very tight interference fit to the hull with a little ca to seal them. The end of the bulb fits flush with the hull sides.

If replacement is requireds I would just knock the offending lamp out and replace.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 02:29:46 pm »

The next stage of the hull was to get the railings sorted, I had been dreading this part as they aren't the most robust things (even soldered together) and they're big long pieces so getting them back in without damaging them of the paint will be a challenge.

Learning from my previous attempt on the najade where I had gone straight to the gloss black undercoat prior to use of the alclad chrome, this time I primed the railings with one part etch primer. Then I added the gloss black, alclad chrome and finally a layer of Aqua gloss varnish.

I procured a piece of balsa which I could press the railings into  which proved invaluable for getting at all sides.

That's the lower hull pretty much done, all that's left is painting the buckets and jet nozzles and some deck fittings.

Next up is the superstructure, made a start on the primer:

I've also got to fit the sound system, I have two speakers (one for each benedini card) which I'll be placing at deck level towards the front of the boat. Watch this space!

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 02:59:56 pm »

Love the rails Tom.

rocket ron

• Shipmate
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 06:44:59 pm »

Well done TOM
What a fantastic build,your level of finish has to be praised.
My Moonraker has rails which comprise of etched brass uprights and plastic rails,a combination
that definittely does not work.When I can reach my Moonraker(I can see it but cannot get to it) then
if you do not mind I will press you for more details on how you made yours.
Again well done

RON

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 11:33:48 pm »

No worries ron! My rails where built as per the plan from 1.5m brass rod soldered together

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 10:26:09 am »

Well some more done, I've built an enclosure for the speakers which sits towards the front of the hull opening. Hopefully this will have the effect of moving the COG forward slightly and stop her going quite so nose up with getting on the plane.

I've also started painting the superstructure. Same as the lower hull, white and the. Masked off for the black bits. Got a bit trigger happy with the fist gloss white coast so had to take it back almost to the primer in places and then recoat.

Also before gloss application there was a lot of imperfections left over from construction so liberal coats of Mr surfacer was added to the offending areas and the. Sanded back for a more smooth surface!

Speaker box

Primer and Mr surfacer:

Gloss coats:

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 08:09:11 pm »

I've been busy painting the superstructure. Masking it off took a good couple of hours but has been worth it. There's a load of fittings and buts left to go but finally she's looking like a proper yacht.

Masking:

Paint going on

Superstructure:

Mated to the hull:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.