Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Woodcock at 1/48th scale  (Read 21043 times)

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Woodcock at 1/48th scale
« on: July 01, 2014, 04:09:43 pm »

Hi all. I started this project at the end of January. This is going to be a model of HMS Woodcock at 1/48th scale. HMS Woodcock was a sister shp to HMS Starling, and I have been told, on very good authority, that the two ships were fitted out to the same specifications. So this build is based on the top quality Fleescale hull, with most of the fiitings coming from Barry at Sirmar. So far it has all of the main gun turrets rotating, via the action electronics servomorphs. A working and rotating search light, two sounds, a fog horn and steam whistle, with a six watt amplifer, again from action electronics, a working smoke unit [home made] working navigation lights, as well as lights within the super structure. All of the above functions have been tested and have perfomed witth out any problems. This is going to be a long build, mostly because of the cost, but I will get the fittings from Sirmar as and when I can. A special thanks to Dave Milbourn for the help with the electrics, and to Alan Burgess for the help with the wireless set. Thanks guys.
Phil

inertia

Re: HMS Woodcock at 1/48th scale
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 04:16:08 pm »

Looks like a neat job there, Phil. You might think about a sound tube around the speaker cone to direct more of the sound up and out of the hull.
Dave M

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 04:21:27 pm »

Thanks Dave. I did try to post another two pictures, but they are still trying to up load. I will try again.
Phil

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 04:24:46 pm »

Try again

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 04:25:22 pm »

Working now

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 04:28:16 pm »

Big model.

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 05:34:47 pm »

Make smoke and head for Plymouth!

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 05:39:38 pm »

Hi all. The only thing that is worring me about this build is the hand rails. I will look at the JR Haynes ones when I can. If any one out there can assist with this I would be realy grateful.
Thanks
Phil

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 07:13:22 pm »

Hi Phil
 I am watching your build with real interest.

With regard to railings; have you thought of ordering them from James Lane (Display Models) who is based at 30 Broadway,  Blyth, Northumberland NE24 2PP telephone: 01670 352051.   

I do know he manufactures and sells 1:48 scale stanchions which he makes from brass and they are very, very good.  The downside of this though is he doesnt have a website, but he does deal via telephone or letter.   Extract from his leaflet which I have and is quite old now - is below.

I am unsure whether you are aware of this but John Haynes has actually now closed his on-line shop (which to me is really sad) - I used to like dealing directly with John and his wife too.  He does supply his fittings to Wesbourne Models so the majority of these are still available via them at their website or shop.

aye

John

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 04:20:35 pm »

Hi all, I am still here, just been a bit busy a work these days. Had a few days off, so decided to start to add some detail to the model. I know this section still has to have a great deal more done to it, but I thought I would post this pic, as it is work in progress. I tried the James Lane stanchions as Blue bird suggested, and with a bit of soldering and gluing I think they will be fine. Thanks bluebird.
Cheers all
Phil
Devon

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 04:22:02 pm »

oopps forgot the pic.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 09:07:29 am »

hi there Phil

Your model is coming along good, I cant wait to see the next stage of your build.    I am glad you got the James L railings - I myself find them the best for a working model.   I have just tried out some photo etching from Scale Warship for the helicopter netting and also I have some of their rail stanchions and they are super-super fine - and I feel may be more suited to a static glass cased model.

Keep up the good build.

Aye

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 08:46:30 pm »

Beautiful work Phil, she looks superb, clean and tidy build. Excellent in all aspects, keep at it and in no time she will having her launch!

Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

django

• Full Mayhemer
  • I want to live forever, so far so good
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 02:41:29 pm »

Hi Phil found your build, looking good will be following posting . Keep pics coming as work progresses      John

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 09:41:55 pm »

I bought scale link stancions for a Novgorod model I built years back and they are definitly only suitable for display models as they are too thin to take any sort of knock or snag. After a few years of storage and some light damage most were bent and/or broken. The James L ones look well designed and the price is worth it if you do not have to replace them every few years due to every day wear and tear.

She is looking good Phil, the radar looks impressive
Pond weed is your enemy

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 03:44:34 pm »

Hi all. I am still here! I have been a bit inspired lately by radiojoes build of HMS Coventry. So today I hauled myself in to the garage to do some more on this project. I primed the hull with Halfords acrylic primer, and put all of the bibs and bobs on that I have made [slowly] over the winter months. I am now waiting for the main deck fittings to come from Barry at Sirmar. A bit concerned about these, as he said he will cast them, then let me know when they are ready, so as I can post him a cheque. Is this the way he normally operates? Nothing on this model has been permanently glued down yet, not until ballasting trials in the paddling pool, too cold out there at the moment!

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 03:45:31 pm »

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 04:05:44 pm »

Sorry about the quality of the photos :(( they look ok on my phone.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 05:11:39 pm »

Hi Phil
If Coventry has inspired you to restart your build that's great, because I can see already it's going to be a fine build and with all the "bells and whistles" you've fitted you must finish her, I waited some months for Sirmar fittings, but I did order them well in advance, knowing how Barry dose them, I did get them eventually and only paid when they were ready, I suggest phoning him evenings or weekends rather than emails, but he often works away from home so keep trying, I sadly won't be getting any more from Sirmar way to much hassle for me, but good luck Phil, I'll watch with interest  :-))  and I'll be cracking the whip if you start to lag.  {-) {-) %%

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 05:23:58 pm »

Thanks for that Joe. What a swell bunch of guy's, and doll's here on mayhem. I will get a move on with this now, thinking about it I have to, its cost me about a grand so far, if I don't finish it, her indoors will cut off my only other pleasure in life :-))
Cheers Joe.
Phil

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 08:13:09 pm »

What, beer drinking?  {:-{

Your ship is coming along a treat Phil.
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 11:26:58 am »

Getting a bit quiet here Phil, is it time to get the whip out.  %% {-) {-) {-) {-)

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 02:42:08 pm »

Thanks Joe. The missus said I might like that! Been doing some detail work on her, the ship, not the missus that is. I took her out doors to get some better photos, placed her on top of the wheelie bin, went in doors to get my camera, and then heard a loud crashing sound. A gust of wind caught the garage door which in turn knocked the ship off of the bin and on too the ground. A fair bit of damage was done to the hull and running gear, all fixed back up now though. I will try to get some pics on here by the end of next week. Thanks. Phil

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 04:58:03 pm »

Sorry to hear that Phil, I can well imagine how that felt, but well done for doing repairs so quick, next time put the boat in the car and sit the missus on the wheelie bin, but don't tell her I said so.  %% {-) {-) {-) {-)

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 08:51:40 pm »

Looks absolutely brilliant, wished my father was around to see her, he used to tell me of some good stories about her. Are you going to Wicksteed this year with her, would really like to see her on the water.
David.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.