Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soldering Shockwave 55 drive Cable ??  (Read 2036 times)

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
Soldering Shockwave 55 drive Cable ??
« on: July 09, 2007, 07:23:16 pm »

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me the right solder to use for fitting the brass ferrule on to 1/4" drive cable in my Shockwave 55, I have just converted it to surface drive so had to shorten the cable, it unsoldered easy, tried to use silver solder but you had to use too much heat. If I could find my Flux could I use plumbers solder ? thing is its quit a tight fit in the ferrule so cant see how the solder will get down there  ???  help !
Thanks
Biscuit.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Soldering Shockwave 55 drive Cable ??
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 08:52:43 pm »

Hi Biscuit,

I'm surprised it un soldered easily. It may be that it was held in with one of the anti slip products like Loctite.
I know of two suppliers that hold fittings to shafts using this product. Then when heated, it will melt and the parts are free.
Regards Bob.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 11:00:41 pm »

If it has been soft soldered , hence the ease of removal then you cannot silver soldier it now as it will not take ,any residue from the soft solder will stop it .

Peter

omra85

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 08:43:32 pm »

Hi Steve
Attempting to silver solder the flexishaft will result in it's destruction.  The heat required anneals the strands of the flexi rendering it useless.
To soft solder, heat the brass ferrule with the fluxed flexi in place AND STRAIGHT (you may need to make up a holding jig with the ferrule at the bottom and the flexi upright). Use a pencil flame on the ferrule, and when the  heat has spread through to the flexi, feed the solder in at the top.  Capilliary action will draw the solder down into the ferrule.  You could LIGHTLY 'tin' the flexi with solder before you put it into the ferrule, but you may have to carefully file off high spots (making sure it's straight) before it will go in again.
A number of European boaters apparently 'Loctite' the shaft in (not sure of the type number).  If I were 'glueing' it in, I would prefer something like JB Weld, as the strands present a limited surface area to the ferrule, therefore less contact for some types of adhesive.
Good luck with the Shockwave.
Danny
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.