Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bluebird of Chelsea.  (Read 3685 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Bluebird of Chelsea.
« on: March 09, 2007, 07:44:24 pm »

Built directly from the "Model Boats Superplan" (1991 issue).
Built at 1:12 scale making her 51" long but only 19lb in weight. A new departure and a new learning curve.
Notes from a simple seaman

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
Re: Bluebird of Chelsea.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 08:28:55 pm »

superb model looks great on the water and what attention to detail. I always wanted to build this model but I have too much on at the moment with a restoration project and my daughters ongoing projects although it looks unlikely i will ever build her i do still have the plans so you never know.

mark
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

cdsc123

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 11:17:33 pm »

A breathtaking model. Congratulations.
Here is a piece written by my friend Phil Simons about the real thing;

A TALE OF THREE BLUEBIRDS

The Solent and Southampton Water were the Mecca for anybody interested in ships and shipping, the great ocean liners and the large post war Royal Navy could always be guaranteed to excite those passing over or watching from alongside their waters. The great liners have long gone, as has the navy as we knew it, however the area still has plenty of activity both in shipping and small craft.
It was during an outing on the preserved RAF seaplane tender 206 in the summer of 1994 that a most interesting series of sightings occurred. We were moored in Cowes and on the next jetty lay the beautiful motor yacht Bluebird of Chelsea, built in 1931 by J.I. Thornycroft at Hampton-on-Thames as the Blue Bird for Sir Malcolm Campbell. Campbell was at this time famous for his record breaking on both land and water and at one time held both land and water speed world records. Bluebird was a wooden motor yacht of 23gt she served Campbell for around 3 years later becoming Bluefinch , Blue Bird again, and finally Bluebird of Chelsea. She served with honour at the Dunkirk beaches remaining commissioned throughout the war.
A little later in the day found us on the River Itchen to refuel and, on a mooring sat another veteran motor yacht, unfortunately showing no name. Subsequently it was discovered her name was Chico ex: Blue Bird, built by J.N.Miller of St Monance, Fife in 1932 as the motor yacht Freebelle II. She was a 73ft wooden vessel of 75gt and was Sir Malcolm Campbell’s second Blue Bird from c.1934. This vessel, by then renamed Chico, also distinguished herself at Dunkirk and remained on active service until disposed of in 1946.
Finally on returning to Hythe Marina, swinging on a mooring near Hythe Pier was a large white motor yacht of pre-war appearance, a quick spin around her showed her to be, yes you’ve guessed, Blue Bird. This was Sir Malcolm’s final yacht, built by the Goole Shipbuilding & Repair Company, Goole in 1938. She was a 104ft steel vessel of 147gt, designed, as was Chico, by G.L. Watson the naval architects. Campbell saw little of this yacht as she was requisitioned in 1939, going to Dunkirk and later serving as an Admiralty Examination Vessel. After the war, and no longer required by the now seriously ill Sir Malcolm she became the Sterope, then Janicke, finally reverting to Blue Bird in the late 1980’s. 
To see all these veterans still in use today and having such an interesting connection as in Campbell, Dunkirk, and being all so close together over 60 years later was an experience to savour. Long may they continue to give service to their owners. 

Interesting reading I thought.
Regards, Christian.

karbine

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 02:46:44 am »

Awesome model! looks so good on the water,very detailed interior also!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 10:19:34 pm »

Something wrong with this thread....I answered/replied to another one, and this came back. Sorry.
Notes from a simple seaman
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.