Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Motability vehicles  (Read 6533 times)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
Motability vehicles
« on: July 03, 2014, 07:37:48 pm »

Gents, this is aimed mainly at those less abled amongst us. You probably know I suffer badly from rheumatoid arthritis in my knees, shoulders, hands and fingers, although now with the new medication I am able to move much easier and reasonably pain free if I'm careful, and I feel it's time I was out and about under my own power(pun not intended...)

I'm eligible for a Motability vehicle, but it's been a few years since I last drove anything with wheels.

So, my question is: what sort of car do you think would be suitable? I need ease of access(seat at bum height) auto transmission, light steering for ease of parking, space for my subs, and comfortable seating.

I'm not asking for manufacturers, but style of car...ie, estate, MPV, SUV, large saloon, etc. I don't want huge amounts of power, although something nippy ish would be good. I would like good fuel economy, not fussed if it's diesel or petrol really.

I realise there's a lot of personal preferences here, but I would value your comments.

Rich

Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Motability vehicles
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 07:45:36 pm »

Skoda Yeti
Very good cars and came in the top 3 of the 2013 Topgear JD power customer satifaction survey
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/overall-results/1206902
Skodas these days are very high quality at a reasonable price, sharing a platform with VW's and Audis
As my son calls them "Audis in Primark"
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

boneash

• Full Mayhemer
  • In an actual war zone there are 2 types of ships,
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 08:04:55 pm »

My choices would be about which access height you are comfortable with.
For SWMBO when she first had hip troubles, a Honda Jazz was perfect and is a very good car and carrier.
For me the extra height of a Honda CRV has been great and it carries a huge amount too..

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 08:09:09 pm »

Skoda Yeti
Very good cars and came in the top 3 of the 2013 Topgear JD power customer satifaction survey
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/overall-results/1206902
Skodas these days are very high quality at a reasonable price, sharing a platform with VW's and Audis
As my son calls them "Audis in Primark"

And share it with seat too.  Audi a3, Octavia,  golf and leon all share the same platform chassis and mostly same parts.  Only difference is price and badge snobbery
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 08:14:40 pm »

Both the wife and I have back problems, she has just had three operations on her spine. I brought a Citroen C4 Picasso MPV, 2.0 litre automatic, but has manual paddles for when it is icy or the hills are too steep. Easy to get in perch bum swing legs in, all the rear seats fold flat. Very comfortable ride, with lots of room.
I know a lot of people do not like Citroen cars, but health and comfort first, street cred last
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 08:40:38 pm »

I need ease of access(seat at bum height) auto transmission, light steering for ease of parking, space for my subs, and comfortable seating.

not fussed if it's diesel or petrol really.

Auto will limit your options, so for any model check that is an option.
Seat height ... up to you.
Everything worth considering has power steering these days.
Comfort is down to whatever shape you are.
Space depends on your subs - just take the biggest to the dealers when you go. Simples.
Beware of 2/3 door cars - you may struggle to reach the seatbelt.

I'd avoid a diesel unless you are going to do phenomenal miles. Modern petrols aren't much less economical, petrol is cheaper than diesel (both the car and the fuel) and since a few years ago new diesels have to have a DPF (an exhaust filter) and some people have have extensive trouble with them.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 09:00:06 pm »

Hi Rich,

The most important detail is getting in and out.  You are going to have to try different models for this. I have a similar problem but only in the knee department which makes the location of the seats a priority. I have a Volvo estate and the seats are now proving to be too low. By this I mean, if the seats are below the back of the knees then the bend is too much.

As a starter, may I suggest going to a large car dealers  (with plenty of different modes and types) and literally trying then out for size. This will give you an idea of what to go for.

All the best and glad your feeling improved.   :}

Cheers

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 09:17:41 pm »

Right, thanks guys...yes, seat height is a major consideration for me. I'd like something where I can walk up to the car, turn round, and the seat will be at at cheek height...literally take half a step backwards and park me 'arris.

Doors..well, five would be favourite I guess, anything to make loading my boats easy is another major consideration.

Comfort...for sure, high on the list. I'd like to attend a few shows again...maybe up into the North of the country, so a nice comfy ride is essential.

I think I'm looking at something like a smallish MPV, but maybe a day out going round the local dealers with the 'ladyfriend' is on the cards...looking at cars is'nt high on her on her list of an interesting day out, but the thought of lunch out might swing it in my favour.

Cheers guys...

Rich

Rich

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 10:10:54 pm »

When Top Gear "tested" smaller MPVs like the Scenic, they did find a problem fitting both people and long objects at the same time.  If the nearside rear seat can be removed and the front passenger seat wound flat, that might be a game changer for carrying something like a sub.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 10:34:53 pm »

The Akula is only 46" long...should fit most small MPV's.

Rich
Rich

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 10:53:29 pm »

Rich, in a few weeks time you will be travelling around 6 hour round trip in a C4 auto petrol (with your Akula in the back), that should give you a good idea what they are like.
Personally I don't like it, but you will get a good idea what they are like, it's a 13 plate so not that old.

Skimmer Fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 10:55:44 pm »

U33
I have the old style Vauxhall Mariva. I bought it because I had a problem pulling myself out of standard cars. Like you I wanted to be able to get in and out with ease. I have it on the highest setting but that is just right for me. The back seat is very easy to lower flat just a pull on two handles and the section of the seat is down. The back seat is in 3 sections and if I carry 4 people my boat still fits in the centre with the centre part of the seat down. Cannot tell you what the new Mariva is like but it may be worth you considering one.
Regards
Skimmer Fan

CyberBOB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 11:14:56 pm »

My Mother-in-Law had similar needs in a vehicle as you.  She ended up with an almost new Subaru Forester, as the seat was the right height for her, and it has what is known as level entry, which means there is no lip or coaming at the bottom of the door for her to have to swing her leg up and over.

What you want to do is start trying cars.  Go to a car lot, and get into and out of cars.  Make a list of possible cars, then use that list to shop.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 07:44:23 am »

Very interesting replies, gents...

Ian...I shall be taking copious notes of your car.  ;D

CyberBob...strange that, my cousin in Vancouver has bought a Subaru Forester, she loves it. Couldn't find one on Motability's lists though...

Skimmer...another one for the list, thanks for that. My phone is going to be red hot today, methinks...

Thanks for the comments, guys...appreciated as usual.

Rich
Rich

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 09:12:15 am »

The physical side already covered ie seat height /entry . Personally Automatic is the only way to go  and as most cars now can lock in in a higher gear for slippery conditions or pulling away .   I have a Forester  and out of many cars  over 55 years the only one to touch it for handling  was the iittle rust bucket Alfa Sud frighten the life out of a mini on roundabouts .One problem though is the Steering wheel does not have much up/down adjustment and whilst the seat height is fine for entry depending on your Bulk swinging the legs under steering wheel worth checking. Must add  mine is not the current new model which should be better but they are available motability
Jay

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 09:29:33 am »

I'm no expert on this but the Nissan Qashqai looks as if it would tick a lot of the boxes, excellent reviews too.

Colin

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 09:38:59 am »

If you want fuel economy then small and light is the only answer. All the wonderful engine tech in the world is only going to net you small improvements under real world driving conditions.

My Dad owns a Suzuki Splash, which is a great small MPV style supermini. It's not an expensive car, no fancy gadgets or gizmos, but build quality is very good.

It has a sit up and beg style driving position, which is rather unusual in its class, and although the boot is small, when you fold down the back seat, the loading area is more like a small van.

It a 1.0 litre 3-cylinder job, so not a rocket ship but does 70mph on the motorway all day long, and as it has variable valve timing it's very flexible low down for such a small engine moving basically 1 ton of car (modern cars are heavy with all the big glass and roll cage like passenger pods).

Economy wise it averages about 50mpg, doing mainly short runs. On a long run, it pushes closer to about 60mpg. Also sold as the Vauxhall Agila with a 1.2l 4 banger.

Skimmer Fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 10:39:15 am »

Just measured the length of useable space in the old model Mariva. You would have to check the new one out.
Regards
Skimmer Fan

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 11:20:53 am »

Good grief, that's surprising...there's more than enough room in there for the Akula, tool boxes, chairs, picnic box, etc..and the usual paraphenalia we tend to cart about to go sailing. Oh, and the 'ladyfriend'...just about squeeze her in as well... %)

Thanks for doing that, SF...much appreciated.

Rich
Rich

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 12:01:36 pm »

look also at the citroen berlingo and the peugeot partner tepee, - both are van based  MPV cars   ,loads of room,  good access, sliding doors on the back - seats fold flat for loading it up with models-  the seat position is a little higher than many cars too...

if you are not bothered about  the looks then these are an option...i know they are on the motability scheme too- petrol and diesel are options available, and because its basically a van spares are easy and cheap. mechanically theyre fairly robust too..

http://motorinfo.org/image/peugeot-partner-tepee-6.html
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 04:53:43 pm »

I 've whittled my viewing list down to two now...unoficially adopted daughter is taking me to have a look on Monday.

Thanks for all the help, guys...very kind of you.

Rich
Rich

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 09:49:46 pm »

I 've whittled my viewing list down to two now...unoficially adopted daughter is taking me to have a look on Monday.

Thanks for all the help, guys...very kind of you.

Rich

What did you narrow it down to?

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 03:38:12 am »

Another thing to consider for Knees is related to seats, but is not the height.
Some of the smaller vehicles based on micro vans like the Renault Kangoo (there are others).

Advantages.
The seats are higher off of the floor of the car. As such your knees are less bent than in many SUVs. You are also sitting more upright.
Additional advantage, less space taken up by seating, and more space for load, or a shorter vehicle (easier parking) for the same load space.
I think the Fiat Multipla was the same.

I have seen several Kangoos as motability vehicles in the past.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 10:12:12 am »

I've taken a serious fancy to the Skoda Roomster...stupid name, I know, but it does seem to tick a lot of my boxes.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/models/Roomster/default

Rich
Rich

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 10:19:20 am »

I know several  people with one of the Kangoos and thy all say the same the sliding door seemed a good idea at the time ,practicley for the rear passenger closing it is a pain ,9 out of 10 times the front seat passenger/ driver has to get out and pull it closed . The door hold back is very strong . Just a thought .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.