Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noob taking on a rather difficult project !  (Read 6307 times)

pete-k

• Full Mayhemer
  • Dreaming big, building . . . well, trying to
Noob taking on a rather difficult project !
« on: July 04, 2014, 10:40:17 pm »

Hi everybody,
So I'm new here, and i have quite a cool project I'm going to start. The Calder Craft North Light model, also known as the clyde puffer, was given to me by my uncle, who had started and given up on the project around 20 years ago, having fitted it with RC electronics. These are really old now, and I'm guessing the battery is a little beyond repair. I'm going to my local model shop soon for them to have a look at it, but really, I'm way out of my depth. The closest I've come to this is the 5 or 6 airfix models I've built !
Does anybody have any pointers for me? i know its a popular kit. my plan was to keep the open top cockpit, and try and just make it as simple as i can. I will take my time, but i really don't know what to do. what sorts of paint should i be buying? and what are the best types of glue etc for fixing, am i better off with epoxy 2 part, or superglue, and will soldering work on the white metal parts?

any help or just inspiration for design would be fantastic, thank you very much ! I really hope i can make this a really cool project to make my uncle proud :)
Learning as I go !

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Noob taking on a rather difficult project !
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 11:04:33 pm »

DON'T try any sort of soldering with the white metal fittings.........they'll melt very quickly.........use cyano ( superglue) to glue these parts together.

I used a mixture of humbrol enamels to brush paint almost all the boat above the hull, and used Halfords spray paints, red oxide and satin black to paint the hull.............it is a lovely easy model for a beginner to build so don't be frightened........and plenty of help on here.

use two part epoxy glues to glue most things like deck to hull, and timber work for cabins etc using cyano for the more delicate jobs.............and as your boat will only be on the water an hour or so at a time don't worry that cyano isn't waterproof............it won't be in contact with water that long enough......just don't glue anything under the waterline with it, lol.

good luck and take it steady.......you'll really enjoy it. neil.

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 11:30:45 pm »

Hi Pete

Sound advice from Neil. How far did your uncle get with the build? "Having fitted it with RC electronics" implies he got a long way. Any chance of a some pictures?

Ask lots of questions - you'll get plenty of answers on here!

Mike

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 09:02:04 am »

Soldering white metal is possible However its something that needs special solder and balls of steel as any mistake in the temperature will turn that whitemetal fitting into a blob.
I tend to use an epoxy glue rather than superglue
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

pete-k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 11:42:03 pm »

excellent replies guys thanks !

I'm not entirely sure how this boat looked when it started, but i think he got a fair way through. the hull is painted in the black and red colour scheme, and the cargo cover has been painted black with a hole open for fully-laden coal cargo. ballast has been added and electrics put in prior to the deck being put on, simply to make life easy..... that backfired as it is now hard to re-work the old aged parts :P
I will put some photos up when I work out how to get them onto my computer (lost my flaming cable  >:-o  ) and show you guys.

I have ordered a new battery and charger, so when they arrive and i have fitted them, i will give all the electrics a test and check they all work, and then i can fit the steering gear. My plan is to hopefully make it a functional model, and then complete the aesthetics. My uncle says he had tested it in the bath for correct depth, although there is a hell of a lot of ballast in there, i may have to remove some.

I will thoroughly enjoy this project i think, especially since my family keep telling me about all of the history of them travelling around the Cumbrian coast (I live close to Whitehaven, so it's cool to think that these were actually working here frequently)

thanks again everybody :) any more advice is always appreciated !  :}
Learning as I go !

pete-k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 11:57:42 pm »

Here are a few pictures of the main construction, as well as this the forward winch mechanism, chimney, and various other small pieces have been built, glued, and primed. I will start painting of these soon, as I have the materials for most of this.

Are really cheap epoxies okay? I used pound shop epoxy for building a paddle tug for a university project and it seemed to work well, despite the fishy smell !

Cheers all, Pete
Learning as I go !

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 01:12:34 pm »

despite the fishy smell !

Cheers all, Pete

all adds to the flavour and authenticity Pete,lol

lankyandy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 09:26:14 pm »

cant comment on the pound shop glue exactly but me and my brother built two boats at a similar time. he used some cheaper end glue and I used gorilla glue as some was given to me, the decks on his boat have lifted and the gorilla glue has held with no sights of 'unsticking'. hope this helps

pete-k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 05:43:03 pm »

Started getting some more  bits done now, it's Starting to look a little better, these are just a few of the bits I've done, there's more on the way! Quite happy with the way the tenders come out, and the cockpit (is that the right term on this boat, or is it the bridge?) is getting there. I decided to go with the open cockpit, because I'm keen to get it finished and a lot of the plywood parts are missing !
I've got myself some NiMH batteries and some cables and soldering gear, so when I've learned how to solder I'll be able to get the RC equipment checked out and see if I need to make any major changes. Then onto the steering gear.
Anyway, it's good to be back building (and not just dreaming!) And I welcome any comments :)
Learning as I go !

pete-k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 07:44:17 pm »

So, it's starting to take shape a bit. I managed to solder the tamiya connectors for the ESC, I think. Can't try them out yet because I'm still waiting to get some batteries for the transmitter. Is there any way to test the ESC without the remote ?

Cheers :) Pete
Learning as I go !

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 09:09:32 pm »

Hi Pete, if your radio can accept a battery pack instead of individual batteries you may better off as there is less chance of a break in connection. (It's a necessity with model aircraft!) but just a good idea with all other surface vehicles.

It may be coming along a little slowly but that's what puffers did ha ha, at least you're doing a good job of it, keep it up :-))
It'll look better when it's finished!

pete-k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 10:19:36 pm »

It currently runs on 8 AA batteries, but I'll have a look in the morning and see if I can Macgyver something together! There's actually no battery cover on it, so I will have to do something!

And thank you, I'm glad you think so, I'm not usually as patient as this!
Learning as I go !

merseyferry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 11:50:36 am »

hello and welcome to mayhem  peter shes looking great keep up the good work :-))

pete-k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 08:50:36 pm »

Thank you! A bit more progress tonight after a long day at work. Old receiver battery pack removed, new one soldered into a switch (it's a good job heat shrink hides messy solder!!). All contacts in the remote have been filed down to get rid of the blue deposits (copper oxide ?) So now I'm just waiting to buy some AA rechargeable batteries and I'll be ready to test it all!

This project may take a sidestep soon (again!) As my girlfriend and I are converting my van into a camper. But I will endeavour to keep some work going even if I don't get chance to record it!
Learning as I go !

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 10:23:56 am »

Hi Pete, good luck with your build - I am sure it will be enjoyable, as will the finished product.
Aside from the build, the history of authentic ships is nice to know so you will find plenty here -  https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=clyde+puffer

The company of Ross & Marshall of Glasgow had a large fleet of puffers and many vessel names ended in 'light', e.g.  'Northlight'.  My father spent many years with the company in puffers, including R&Ms. They mainly served around the Firth of Clyde, Northern Ireland and the Western Isles. Cumbria seems a long way out for me, but I stand to be corrected.
Bob.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 10:57:25 am »

These might help with your 'open bridge' project?

First pic is of a 1912 vessel.
Second one shows a great shot of 'Stormlight' with the mast down just having negotiated the Jamaica Bridge in Glasgow.
Bob.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 11:25:28 am »

Hi Pete, good luck with your build - I am sure it will be enjoyable, as will the finished product.
Aside from the build, the history of authentic ships is nice to know so you will find plenty here -  https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=clyde+puffer

The company of Ross & Marshall of Glasgow had a large fleet of puffers and many vessel names ended in 'light', e.g.  'Northlight'.  My father spent many years with the company in puffers, including R&Ms. They mainly served around the Firth of Clyde, Northern Ireland and the Western Isles. Cumbria seems a long way out for me, but I stand to be corrected.
Bob.

Pete. I do stand corrected as I now understand it, many puffers were built and operated from Larne, NI. Not too far from Whitehaven!

pete-k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 08:07:45 pm »

Nemo, thanks for all that it's great!
Happy update today, I managed to get her running! All the components still work, so it's on to the steering gear now :) I bit the bullet and purchased some rechargeable AA's for the remote and receiver, which weren't cheap, but they'll suffice until I can get a new transmitter with rechargeable pack :)
It's very exciting seeing it all come together for the first time. I'll try and keep chugging along with it. I'm also building a fast electric boat with some work colleagues, so hopefully that will work just as well now :)
Learning as I go !

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 05:40:11 pm »

It looks great. You are doing a fine job  :-))

pete-k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 06:38:31 pm »

Cheers Sandy !
I'm starting to think that modelling in a larger scale is much easier. I was used to airfix, which I could never get quite right, but this may be the start of something good!
Learning as I go !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.