Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's from Leicester ?  (Read 1702 times)

Todd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Who's from Leicester ?
« on: July 05, 2014, 08:45:37 pm »

Hi
Who on here is from Leicester? And where do you take your boats when your not racing? I'm struggling to find anywhere at the moment.
Cheers

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Who's from Leicester ?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 04:43:23 pm »

Kings Lear Model Boat Club sails almost every sunday morning at Kings Lear lake in the Watermead Country Park at Wanlip.
You'd be welcome to come along.  We sail all sorts of boats from scale to I/C racing boats and Yachts.
For full details see our website; http://froggyt996.wix.com/kinglearmodelboatclub
On the 27th of this month we are having our Friends and Familys day.  The park has a £2.50  entrance fee but club members can get a RDIF card for the gate for just £30 for the year..... oh and the loos are a bit of a trek from the jetty.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Todd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 07:22:30 pm »

So the lake is useable every Sunday obviously won't be able to use it when they have a event. Might see you there then.  :-))

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 07:38:59 pm »

We are allowed to use the lake when the park is open, so if you wanted to sail mid week you could.  There are a few events that clash with sailing on a sunday but not many.  Our Lifeboat day, the Vintage boat day and Friends and Family are sailing days anyway. The Newfoundland Dog club have 1 or 2 days a year and the whole park is inaccesable during the Leicester marathon.  As an example the Scouts were rafting on the lake today but didn't interfere with the boating.  We share the lake with the windsurfers but thats never a conflict, in fact we occaisionally have used their rescue boat.
In addition we visit some great shows as a club and won best stand in show at Whitwick this year. We also have a monthly evening meeting at Thurmaston Working Mens Club on the first tuesday of the month.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 10:50:10 am »

Hi Todd,

You maybe the one and only actual racer in Leicester at present, I cannot recall anyone actively involved in racing in the area,
there are no BMPRS or OMRA members operating racing powerboats at King Lear lake,
except when properly organised racing is taking place, usually twice yearly, with permission of the park ranger.

The lake is set in a wild life country park, and therefore has restrictions on what types of models can be used,
club members do use I/C powered models, but these tend to be vintage boats that are quiet and slow,
allowed by the park ranger.

King Lear Model Boat club members are also covered by insurance against accidents,
I am guessing you may already be a BMPRS member and will already have your own insurance,
I suggest you contact the club regarding the above.

Well worth considering would be the Kingsbury Water Park club,
they have BMPRS members that regularly contribute to Model Boat Mayhem forum
and are allowed to run powerboats without restrictions,
and it's only a short trip up the A5.

Regards ex chairman of King Lear Model Boat club

Todd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 07:52:46 pm »

Thanks for the replies I'm not yet a member of the bmprs but will be as soon as I get my boat, I'll have a look at the kings bury site cheers

Her in doors

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 10:10:52 am »

Hi Todd

Just to reiterate what Mr Zippy has said.  Whilst we can run IC Boats on King Lears Lake they cannot be too loud or fast.  Otherwise you won't be able to run your boat on the lake.  The only dispensation we get is twice a year when BMPRS race.  You are by all means welcome to come down and have a look at the lake but by what you have said any racing boat is unsuitable to be ran on our lake and I wouldn't want you to become a member only to find that you can't run your boat on King Lears Lake.  Outr lake is in a country park which is why as a general rule we cannot run fast or loud IC boats. 

Marie Burdett
Secretary
King Lear Model Boat Club
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.