Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Surmount800  (Read 1863 times)

mulleted

Surmount800
« on: July 10, 2007, 12:43:13 am »

G'day fellas,
I had the pleasure to purchase a Surmount recently and thought I might post a few pictures of the build.
The only changes I have made are to replace the spars with timber, replace rigging with braided fishing line and to paint the lot.
It looks to be a very well made boat and I look forward to getting it wet shortly.
Photos so far;

mulleted

informative?? - probably not, but it has pretty pictures :)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 10:39:35 am »

Well,
I have had virtually no modelling time in the last 2 weeks, but managed to get a tiny bit done.
Replaced the original chainplates with aluminium and changed the way the jib attaches to the jib-boom. This method seems OK, but like everything I do I will probably see the problems later on.  :-[
Have used one of the plastic chainplates to attach the forestay and jib-boom which placed the jib in a better position (I think??).
Hopefully this weekend will see some advancement.
I have also given up on the Wheel radio (leaving car stuff for cars, in hind-site does seem obvious) as during rig testing (STRONG fan and LOTS of beers {beer aids the delusion that I know what I am doing  ::)}) it did not feel anywhere near as controllable (accurate) as the dx7. So will set the Surmount up for the dx7 (do so love the 20 model memory  ;D)
Found some very soft Tortue braided line (50lb and 80lb) that looks (and feels) just like sail rope  8)  (I am soo easily pleased  ;D) so I will use this for the sheets and leave the super stiff braid (80lb Blackwidow - I think) for the standing rigging.
Testing (using the beer/fan method) the winch I had no tangles, BUT, the the time to go from "goose-winging" to close-hauled seems to take an eon. It seems likely that I will change to a sail arm (125mm??) at some point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 19 queries.