Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Supermarket Fuel  (Read 27505 times)

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Re: Supermarket Fuel
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2014, 08:23:00 pm »

All these gremlins is why I only buy the same cars as the 'rally-boys'. BMW 3-series, Fords, Vauxhalls and VWs.

With all those lads modifying their motors, practically any fault that could ever occur is fully documented on the forums and there's normally a Youtube of how to fix it yourself.

Much cheaper.

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2014, 08:25:41 pm »

This is why I run a petrol. Common Rail Diesels once out of warranty are a ticking bomb for the wallet. My Alfa was off the road 3 weeks whilst everyone had a go at it. Including Bosch HQ. Eventually it turned out to be the HP Pump which was £750. Yup a German bit on an Italian car. These pumps are made to fantastically fine tolerances, generate very high pressure (think 10,000s of PSI) & are frequently electronically coded to the engine. There is also a massive lack of knowledge on Common Rail diesels as regards diagnosis.  The HP pumps are £1,000s of pounds as well.
With both Jaguar diesels I ran only on Shell VPower, kept the warranty up £900 per year & flogged them when I couldn't warrant them again.
Jim

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2014, 08:28:34 pm »

precisely the failure i had.

min spec of pump is the min spec of bs en 590, no tolerance at all for anything naughty in the diesel.

mighty car, mighty engine, mighty box, just a shame greed lets it down.

I got another letter back off morrisons written by a guy who gets clearly turned on by fuel, and mentioned the fuel comes from vopak teesside.... he failed to mention a number of questions aswell. I think another letter is needed!

Dan

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2014, 08:55:42 pm »

a Friday afternoon/Monday morning car....when the workforce couldn't be arsed, or were on a two day bender hangover...........

I bought a brand new Peugeot 205GTi in 1992.had to wait 6 weeks for the colour I wanted..........

had 36 faults in just over 18 months.......drove me to despair..........not niggly little  faults.....a blown engine, seized gearbox, water an inch deep in the foot wells when it rained...two new sets of discs on the front within 8 months........the catalogue was endless......it was crap..............and it came back from each repair with a new fault............and Peugeot couldn't care less........with incredibly poor after sales service.

It was so bad that I was told by the sales man that the first service was free...........when I got to the service I was told I would have to pay...........I refused so thee service dept refused to do the service...

so I parked my car over the service bay entrance so they couldn't get any other car in or out of the service bay.......it was a busy Saturday morning %% %% %%

they then tried to trolley jack it away and I told them that if they touched it I would call the police and charge them with criminal trespass........they relented and asked me to leave something as a deposit whilst I  waited for my car and then to go home to get my cheque book once the service had been done........so I took my trousers off,, gave them to the service manager and sat in the showroom with no strides on......just my shirt and underpants................they finally relented and gave me the service, and my strides back foc.............and told me to go get my car serviced elsewhere next time.................. {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

F4TCT

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2014, 08:59:51 pm »

fool you for buying french rubbish! :D

excellent story,  :kiss:

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2014, 09:42:23 pm »

just ticked past 58,000. car is not even 4 and a half years old yet. serviced on time, every time.
Just about run in then.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2014, 09:55:16 pm »

More like run out (of patience!!)

Bob
Officially a GOG.

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2014, 11:44:02 pm »

I run on any old petrol for my RAV4 - last one was honourably decommissioned after
18 yrs and not break-downs- this one 11 yrs and no breakdowns. Wife has now switched
to Diesel Fiesta - not impressed except for the fuel bills

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2014, 07:35:11 am »

I buy old Volvo's, my latest V70 had 110,000 miles on it and cost me just under £1000, it gets run on whatever fuel  is cheapest, gets about 35mpg and gets me the 112 miles a day to and from work, when the car dies I will get another. none of my Volvos has ever failed to get to 200,000 miles, and I had one still running well, but with varoius electrical issues that I finally gave up on at 265,000 miles.
generally round here asdas fuel is cheapest, but the esso garage 100 yards up the road is always within about 0.2p per litre (asdas is 126.7p - Esso 126.9p at the moment)
Grendel

F4TCT

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2014, 08:56:05 am »

interestingly, everyone on the car forums say run it on bp ultimate, a nice £1.45 a litre but you get better performance and better economy.

I have been running my car on that and not really found any performance increase at all - then again i like to be different.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2014, 12:41:17 pm »

interestingly, everyone on the car forums say run it on bp ultimate, a nice £1.45 a litre but you get better performance and better economy.

I have been running my car on that and not really found any performance increase at all - then again i like to be different.

Funny thing is that BP Ultimate is only 97ron (standard u/l is 95ron). Tesco Momentum is 99ron. Shell don't seem to advertise what their top fuel (V-Power?) is for ron.

Also the idea that because 'premium brand' and supermarket tankers come out of the same refinery or storage depot they must have the same fuel in them is daft. It is possible they get loaded with the same stuff, but these places are very sophisticated and it's quite likely that different blends will get put in different tankers (or indeed in different tanks of the same tanker).

F4TCT

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2014, 06:21:34 pm »

All this stuff is hush hush for a reason.....

thats the way i look at it.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2014, 06:42:19 pm »

You are right there Dan.
Most things you buy you can touch, smell
look at and decide whether to buy or not.
At the pumps you have to go on the blurb
put forward by the oil companies.
I have tried cheap versus premium and
never noticed the difference.
Apart from back in the sixties my Dommies
 seemed to run better on National Benz ole.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2014, 07:51:09 pm »

Hi
Had my old 21 year old Pug a top engine rebuild and have started using a garage that sells regular diesel. They say it doesn't have any bio in it and the car doesn't stink as much now.

The water in the diesel light comes on now and again as it did 20 years ago before bio was put in the diesel

There is about 5-7 pence difference between their diesel compared to supermarkets.
There is Bio in all fuels, you may only have 5% , but here in Germany and also Holland and France, there is 10% and has been for the last 4 years. As E10 Super, gives poorer Performance and consumption, about 10%, it is about 4Cents cheaper than old Super. I don't buy it as the car runs rough, and the saving is Zero.  You should check that your car can use E 10, many can't, it destroys seals and pump membranes of Injection Systems, both Petrol and Diesel. As a matter of Interest, new Mercedes "Sprinters" with Diesel have a warning sticker on the filler cap instructing NOT to use Bio Diesel.Audi are trying it on, how they can Charge 10Grand for repairs, is stupid,  Get the AA to chase them up, or better still your Local Radio or TV Broadcastor, that invariably brings positive results

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2014, 07:51:30 pm »

on the petrol front. If you have a high power turbo car 300+ BHB then you will want to use high grade fuel. If you dont and give it some stick you can get detonation   and or melt pistons. On any thing else it is a wast of time. Yes you might get a few more miles out of it. but for then increased price per liter you could have brought more of the  normal grade fuel ,which would equal the same range if not more. Had several company car all done 150K miles + . They ran an diesel   brought from supermarkets or main fuel retailers but not BP. Never had any problems.Fuel  tank fill it wright up then run till empty . Sounds like your car not as good as Audi would like you to believe . Have you looked at social media and seen if people in the same area have had any problems.

john

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2014, 07:57:24 pm »

I bet they are making 20-30p a litre...
In your dreams, maybe 2 or at the most 3 pence, that is why Service Stations sell Papers, books and Food etc. Can't survive on just Petrol.
  Hands up if you can remember the 60s, before Wilsons Bunglers took over? Jet was 3 Shillings and 11 pence a gallon. 5 gallons, with 5 shots of Redex, served, nor Self Service, cost a Pound, oh happy days!! ( Callaghan put an instant 6 P the first week he was Chancellor and a further 6 P the following April .)

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2014, 08:04:31 pm »

on the petrol front. If you have a high power turbo car 300+ BHB then you will want to use high grade fuel. If you dont and give it some stick you can get detonation   and or melt pistons. On any thing else it is a wast of time. Yes you might get a few more miles out of it. but for then increased price per liter you could have brought more of the  normal grade fuel ,which would equal the same range if not more. Had several company car all done 150K miles + . They ran an diesel   brought from supermarkets or main fuel retailers but not BP. Never had any problems.Fuel  tank fill it wright up then run till empty . Sounds like your car not as good as Audi would like you to believe . Have you looked at social media and seen if people in the same area have had any problems.

john
A modern car with "Black Box" automatically adjust ignition Timing to the fuel used. My old Colt was designed to run on 91 Octane fuel, or Benzine as it was known here, when that fuel went I had to put 95 Octane in, no change in running, just on how much I paid. I went to Croatia years ago and the only Pump fuel was 83 Octane, put that in and away she went, a bit slower but no Pinking or such. Mind you it is a Japanese car, and it will run on Ethanol alone. How old is this Audi?  Gaurantee gone? remember EU Law says that there is a Users expectation of Extended use, so they have to accept responsability even when the Warranty expires-

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2014, 08:07:19 pm »

Funny thing is that BP Ultimate is only 97ron (standard u/l is 95ron). Tesco Momentum is 99ron. Shell don't seem to advertise what their top fuel (V-Power?) is for ron.

Also the idea that because 'premium brand' and supermarket tankers come out of the same refinery or storage depot they must have the same fuel in them is daft. It is possible they get loaded with the same stuff, but these places are very sophisticated and it's quite likely that different blends will get put in different tankers (or indeed in different tanks of the same tanker).
V Power here is 103 Octane. A bit pointless really as most Fuel Injection Systems and Ignitions don't recognize anything over 99.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2014, 08:20:38 pm »

I had a Lada once, it had a lever on the distributor, marked in octane, use a lower octane - move the lever.
Grendel

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2014, 08:28:30 pm »

Old Opel (Vauxhall ) Cadets had a Switch under the bonnet to Switch from 91 to 95 Octane.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2014, 10:23:21 pm »

on the petrol front. If you have a high power turbo car 300+ BHB then you will want to use high grade fuel. If you dont and give it some stick you can get detonation   and or melt pistons. On any thing else it is a wast of time.

Indeed, which is why I checked up on which brands had what RONs. I had a supercharger installed which came with a 99RON tune, but as I found 97 is a common 'premium' I got a revised tune for 97 to avoid grenading the pistons - but at slight a loss of power.
A premium fuel might have a slightly higher calorific value (energy content) which is why you might get slightly better mpg/performance, but that isn't specifically a function of the octane rating.

Modern cars do often have knock sensors (the "black box" referred to above) but that's a backstop against occasional problems or misfuelling. You should use the correct fuel most of the time or you will eventually damage the engine.

When abroad be aware that the octane rating is not the same everywhere. There are 3 different versions - RON, MON and AKI (there is an article in Wikipedia with a table that explains it).

F4TCT

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2014, 10:43:56 pm »

some folk on the audi forum are mentioning stuff like e30 and allsorts! they seem to be different ratios of bio diesel mix.

How on the holy earth is the average joe meant to know all this stuff?

this got me thinking - which is a very dangerous thing to do. Nothing is as it is really is it... Here are a few examples...

the advertised fast food double cheeseburger never presents itself like the adverts...

water isnt 'water', each water authority seems to have its own opinion on what they want to add to it...

Gas isnt 'gas', different parts of the country have more 'potent' gas than other's - calorific value.

the thing on ebay didn't arrive as expected....

the wife didn't turn out as expected....

Im sorry to cause some sort of mass suicide here which may happen listening to me for too long, however it  annoys the bloody marrow in my bones to be honest. Why cant something just be one thing, instead of a million other variants...

Why cant diesel just be diesel, a high quality or low quality - whatever, however then why cant audi make a car which runs on the diesel.

I know a bloke whos boat is so old it's engine will literally run on pig sh/t...

anyway, someone please feel free to educate me on the apparent existence of about 1 million types on diesel.

Dan

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2014, 11:46:25 pm »

%) ...Guys....what goess around comes around......my dear old dad taught me to drive in a 1949 Ford Prefect utility..... 

%) hand painted OLIVE green

{-) it jumped out of second gear

ok2 OHV 4 cylinder engine

<*< spark advance switch on the dash board

:kiss: Chenney helical hose adjustment type clip around the distributor cap for further advance /retard corrections ......

The image below is of the same  OHV 4 cylinder engine....but I do not see the distributor cap adjustment  >:-o  ....Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2014, 09:18:39 am »

My father was a coatal tanker captain in the war (hairy if you're being bombed!) and on into the late 1950s. He always used to tell the tale of coming into the Regent oil depot at Shoreham and whilst discharging, watching the road tankers from all the various major brands coming in to load up - all from the same huge tank!

I just buy where it's cheapest, which means supermarkets. Never had the slightest issue, I'm pleased to say. The only time I had water contamination, I too immediately contacted the fuel station (Texaco, FWIW), who said the same thing that dreadnought did about the control measures in place. Took it to my usual garage and they found a pinhole in the fuel line that had let water in, one tiny drop at a time. Eventually, it built up enough to cause a problem. Replaced the pipe, didn't drain the tank but ran slightly lumpily on a petrol/water/meths mixture for a day or so until topping up the tank with fresh fuel. Problem solved.

And I'm also very dubious about the Audi explanation. Swarf from the fuel pump? Bad fuel wouldn't cause that, obviously. And, as has been said, what about the fuel filter? Did in not do its job?
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2014, 09:35:01 am »

A fuel pump is the least of my worries neil, its the 6 x injectors @ £600 a piece, aswell as pumps, lines, other engine components that need replacing + the labour to do it. Tank has to come out, big big job to do it all.

I'll bet the damn car its the fuel! we'll see what the insurers at morrisons have to say tomorrow when i ring them.

Dan
How can any Company justify 600 Pound for an Injector? Rubbish, the Price of Spares should be investigated, this is Rip Off City, Big time.! here in Germany many owners buy Skoda spares instead of VW and Audi. many bits are identical, apart from the Prices! 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 23 queries.