Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Supermarket Fuel  (Read 27513 times)

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Supermarket Fuel
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2014, 09:38:11 am »

I have run Toyota/s for the last 15 years fill up at the cheapest that I pass anywere on the road starts first turn and runs smooth as a buhler motor......Bill......

inertia

« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2014, 10:51:14 am »

How can any Company justify 600 Pound for an Injector?
What's to justify? They just stick it on the bill regardless.
Inchcape Toyota blissfully charged me £12.01 for a CR2016 button cell which I can get for 25p. Needless to say I removed it, replaced it with a Comp-Shop one and took it back for a refund.
However when you can't obtain an equivalent part elsewhere e.g. an injector, then you have the choice of either paying whatever they chose to ask for or having a dead car. I think the logic must run along the lines of "if you can afford a car like that then you can afford the silly price of the spares".
I fill up at ASDA 'cos it's the cheapest, but then I run a Toyota MPV - which is not quite the same thing as Dan's snarling 300+ BHP beast.
I bet he doesn't buy another Audi.  8)
DM

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2014, 12:17:53 pm »

My elder daughter had an AUDI A3.
One day she is locked inside.
 Impossible to go out
Impossible to lower windows.

She calls the service repair
Impossible to open the car

They manage to go up the car on the tow truck.
My daughter crossed PARIS in her car on the tow truck.

They cut the hood

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2014, 12:18:20 pm »

She is going to buy a donkey

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2014, 01:06:24 pm »

My daughter crossed PARIS in her car on the tow truck.

If you have to cross Paris by car this is probably the best way to do it!
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

inertia

« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2014, 05:09:56 pm »

She is going to buy a donkey
Ah! 100% Bio fuel!
DM

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2014, 05:23:13 pm »

Why not get a metro  :D

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2014, 05:25:54 pm »

;) That's more of a pig. {-) {-) {-) {-)
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

inertia

« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2014, 08:24:48 pm »

Why not get a metro  :D

Ned

You are a silly boy................. On the other hand didn't they make a turbo-nutter-lunatic 4WD V6 rally version? Was it called MG 6R4 or something? Might be rather jolly fun toddling down to Waitrose in one of those, what?
DM

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2014, 11:00:28 pm »

Dan,
By chance I was talking to a feller who works in our local refinery.
I asked him about supermarket fuel.
His reply was don't use that cr*p.
It is the cheapest fuel available as it doesn't have the additives of the dearer fuels.
And yes the refinery DOES have a tank for "supermarket" fuels.
It will depend if your engine requires a top end fuel or anything including used chip fat!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2014, 11:03:44 pm »

Thanks for that Bob  :-))

straight from the horses mouth so it seems!

The bottom line is, it barely meets spec.

Its like doing a job or task, you always try to exceed requirements - i do anyway, when it comes to fuel, it seems to be another story!

Dan

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2014, 12:14:07 am »

You are a silly boy................. On the other hand didn't they make a turbo-nutter-lunatic 4WD V6 rally version? Was it called MG 6R4 or something? Might be rather jolly fun toddling down to Waitrose in one of those, what?
DM

yes they did, Dave....made the obligatory 200 for homologation, and then found that they were outlawed after the first few series racing that most were never sold for racing......... they were so raucous and unfit for road use that most never made it to the road either without being detuned to some extent, and went into collectors hands as show pieces..........last one I saw in the classic papers went for auction with an estimated price of 200K, and failed to sell...............they were awesome beasts in rally trim

here was a cheep one for sale, lol

http://www.xtreme-uk.net/performance-cars/detail.asp?ID=441

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2014, 09:36:00 am »

I meant the Paris Metro  Doh %% %% %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2014, 05:44:18 pm »

Not the one in Texas, then!

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2014, 09:26:16 pm »

Thanks for that Bob  :-))

Ok.  >:-o

Strikes me that you want to read what you want to read. No matter what the evidence.

Other posters have said that that supermarket fuels are the same as any others. (Same refinery, same contents).  I work selling supermarket fuel: some days we get in it Big Orange Tankers, some days we don't. It's all the flippin' same.

Add a diesel cleaner to your engine now and again if you're unsure. Or maybe a pint of petrol. Both the same. Otherwise, stop cherry-picking the replies.

Andy

Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

F4TCT

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2014, 09:32:16 pm »

Andy, defend your employers all you like.

I've said before aswell as most people who seem to have issues, its supermarket fuel. cheap for a reason....

however there's clearly something amiss with the whole setup of fuel given the hush hush stigma attached to profits/markups and the like.

Ive seen the audi TPI relating to the issue, I used one supermarket fuel each week, I know two other people with fuel issues (albeit not as bad as mine) - using the same station.

without sounding like a snob, because Im really not - i used to pull the audi up to a pump, and each time it was the best car in the place. everyone else had alsorts of cars, decent in the sense of the word although the engines certainly more run of the mill and more tolerant to rubbish.

I guess its my fault, it always is......

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2014, 09:42:01 pm »

Defend my employers?

That's what you think I'm doing?

See you.

Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

F4TCT

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2014, 09:48:26 pm »

I don't know what your doing, nor do i wish to spoil your evening arguing,

However nobody really knows the truth do they, except those in the 'know' who are probably masons...

the FACT is this - read the forums on fuel problems - all supermarkets... performance issues - all supermarkets.... failures - all supermarkets....

somethings going on, what i don't know but given what ive read by people in the know, theres more rubbish in fuel than there is good. Ive learnt this the hard way. The fuel they sell barely makes specification.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2014, 10:17:21 pm »

Up until I chatted to the man involved I too thought that supermarket fuel was the same.
What makes me think something is amiss is he turned down 20p a litre off supermarket fuel.
All I can say is to turn down that sort of saving EVEN ON 1 TANKFUL shows the depth of his belief.
His words were "how do you think supermarkets can sell the fuel so much lower than service stations that struggle to make 3p a litre".
As I have stated (as an Engineer) the run of the mill engines will not show any problems.
High power turbo or high compression ratio engines might.

Bob

Officially a GOG.

F4TCT

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2014, 10:25:29 pm »

one things for sure, the government are laughing all the way to the bank.... literally.... until they waste it. i'll stop there - no political views allowed an' all that!

although, i must say, i only used morrisons for the miles thing and generally being the cheapest it seemed the best return, however over the last year, i ventured down the nectar route and more recently though bp aswell as other retailers and I think its probably the best return for the best quality.

My dads mate, hes a CAD guy, mainly draws pipes, i assume for nuclear installations given the secrets act he has to sign and the fact he wont utter a word, he's in the know. Im sure many others of other disciplines are too....

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2014, 10:28:12 pm »

I was driving in Canada recently and the pumps all have three grades of fuel (petrol) at different octane ratings. The interesting thing was that each one was labelled as to what it was best suited to which, to paraphrase, were:

1. Very basic but should keep your engine turning over - You cheapskate!
2. Better quality, you really need this to keep your engine sweet and feel good about yourself.
3. Try this one and leave everyone else for dust!

This seemed to be a bit of a con to me as engines are tuned to match a certain octane rating and anything more than that should not increase performance. On the other hand I do think that modern engines, which are now critically engineered to meet emissions regulations, do benefit from the additives that you will get if you purchase a 'named' fuel rather than the generic supermarket versions. The additives should help keep the system cleaner and help maintain performance.

OK, old diesels will probably run happily on used cooking oil but not modern ones with all the emission control gadgets they are fitted with.

I buy almost all my petrol from our local independent filling station which sells Total fuel which is supposed to contain beneficial additives. It's not the cheapest place in the area by 1p-2p per litre but if it were to close down then the nearest alternative is several miles away and I regard the bit extra as well worth while in supporting a local business and amenity.

Colin

F4TCT

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2014, 10:33:14 pm »

i think where folk get the performance thing from is they use supermarket fuel (which probably makes the car slower) and then move onto the proper spec stuff like bp and actually feel what the car is meant to be like.

then again, dont think the government help buy making most of the price of a litre of fuel pure tax, making a price war which leads to cost saving and ultimately poor quality. 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2014, 11:02:37 pm »

I suspect it's nothing more complicated than the fact that the cheapo fuels allow the engines to get crudded up more quickly than the premium fuels with detergents and additives to keep the injectors clean etc. Some engines can cope with the cheaper stuff better than others, particularly the older ones which are less sophisticated. That is why some cars run happily on supermarket fuel and others become temperamental. The engineering tolerances in the latest cars are very tight and they don't take kindly to low spec fuels. I have heard that the increasing percentage of vegetable oil in diesel fuels is giving some manufacturers a real headache and if you have a new diesel car and look in the handbook it will often specify the maximum percentage of veggie oil that the engine can cope with which is almost the same as what the pumps are now delivering!

Personally I think that modern diesels have become too complicated and delicate in their operation (and very expensive!) which is why I have switched back to petrol in my latest car and only a very small loss in MPG which is covered by the cheaper cost of petrol.

Colin

F4TCT

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2014, 11:09:35 pm »

Colin,

CORRECT!

the min spec of BS EN 590 is the same as the high pressure fuel pump on my car, no tolerance for rubbish at all.

to me, diesel was diesel, and im sure most of the population assume the same.

amazing what a bit of research does.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2014, 12:19:52 am »

The fuel they sell barely makes specification.

Which is all it has to do. If the car manufacturer says use (eg) 95RON to BS XXX and the fuel meets that spec, then any problems must be due to the car not being up to spec. The named brands may have more or different additives but they are not required, merely (one hopes) slightly beneficial.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.