Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fishing boat Ardrossan  (Read 1750 times)

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
fishing boat Ardrossan
« on: August 08, 2014, 12:05:39 am »

Driving past the Clyde marina Ardrossan this morning I thought I saw two fishing boats with the modern bulgy bows parked together, but they looked strange enough for me to park and investigate. The welder was coming out to make some templates, and the story he told me was this: the boat was built in the Clyde marina as a one-off, based on a larger original. The boat was meant for divers catching razor fish in shallow water, so the catamaran form was chosen so she could take the ground if necessary and refloat on the rising tide. However, in the process of scaling the plan down, some forrard buoyancy was lost, so the bulges were retro-fitted to give the required buoyancy, NOT, as i'd thought, to incorporate the latest thinking on hydrodynamic form. The wheelhouse had been replaced with an aluminium one, but this was not sufficient to rebalance the boat. So for what they are worth, here are some photos of an unusual boat. If commenting pl bear in mind that I know nothing at all about fishing boats and am only reporting what I saw and heard.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: fishing boat Ardrossan
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 12:38:40 pm »

Very interesting!
Looks like they tried to make it wider!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Re: fishing boat Ardrossan
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 02:53:08 pm »

She's had those bulges for a wee while, only seen 2 photos of her before both taken in March this year

Its possible they're going to enlarge them but they look like they were built into the design
Davie Tait,
Scotland
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.