Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Porous filler.  (Read 2442 times)

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
Porous filler.
« on: August 22, 2014, 10:04:40 pm »

Hi folks. Just about to spray a hull with Halfords acrylic spray. The hull is made of an ABS type plastic. All has been filled with car body filler and sanded down with 600 grit wet and dry. The top half will be grey primer followed by gloss green. The bottom half will be red primer only to represent  anti fouling. All paint is Halords acrylic. My first question is this. The original hull had ' pod ' type motors in it and have been removed from the bottom of the hull. Quite a bit of filler has been used to fill in the indentations in. If i use the red primer for the bottom is it porous and will water soak into the filler? Secondly, which way round should i paint it? All grey first followed by the green mask off and then the red? Red first mask off and then do the grey primer followed by the green or any other number of combinations? ALL thoughts gratefully received, regards, Dave.

Stavros

Re: Porous filler.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 10:11:53 pm »

Dave very easy this one.............as you have so rightly said filler is porous so the way around it is very simple really all you need to do is to apply either Halfords lacquer or a gloss finish over the filler to seal it then apply your red antifouling over it this will seal it up for you. 

Grey first apply fine line tape do the green.....fine line tape then do the red...........you can buy fine line tape in Halfords ....I used it today on a 2 colour paint job works a treat

Dave

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 11:44:11 am »

Thanks for that Dave.................from er..........another Dave!

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
Drying Time.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 02:49:58 pm »

How long should i leave grey acrylic undercoat spray to dry before  i lightly dry sand it and then put on the top coat of green?
How long should i leave green acrylic  top coat spray to dry before i put masking tape on it to do the red?
           Regards, Dave.

inertia

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 04:11:02 pm »

Dave
We're into the length of a piece of string here. It depends on the ambient temperature and humidity. We don't all have low-bake ovens. My method is to leave it somewhere warm and dry until I can't smell a trace of the solvent coming from it, even with my nose pressed right up against the surface. At that stage I reckon it's not going to get any drier so it's safe to mask and overspray.
Yet another Dave

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:51:01 pm »

Dave couldnt have put it better myself

Dave............another one

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 12:27:22 am »

Thanks for the reply Dave and Dave..................from Dave. :}
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.