Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glazing curved portholes  (Read 2170 times)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Glazing curved portholes
« on: July 14, 2014, 09:07:42 pm »

As per the thread title: I have a number of portholes to glaze in the 2-3cm diameter range that need to fit a curved surface.

PET plastic (the sort you find making up 2l Coke bottles*) would appear to be ideal from a material point-of-view, but in tests I can't find anything that'll stick PET to wood with anything like the security I'd like.

Suggestions please!

Andy

That's "Irn Bru bottles" for viewers in Scotland
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Glazing curved portholes
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 11:11:54 pm »

Andy....raw acetone will soften/degrade/eat into PET material OK.......and possibly assist in a PET to PET bond

But will not help in adhering to a wooden surface.............

At such a large size 20 to 30 mm diameter would they not have a composite porthole body?.........Derek

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CBwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.plasticseurope.org%2FDocuments%2FDocument%2F20100705182216-050303GeneralChemicalResistanceofPET-20050303-003-EN-v1.pdf&ei=ZFTEU6KdFcmk8AWY64GAAQ&usg=AFQjCNFq6x3NSRmTrUN-DXCDSRKpYaBksw
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 11:42:28 pm »

Hi Derek - thanks for the data. A bit of a hunt around myself suggests the Gorilla/foaming glues stand a chance, but they're very messy and not ideal.

After a cuppa, and tossing my 2l bottle into the recycle bin, I decided to try thinking inside the box. Specifically, a CD jewel case.

This is injection moulded polystyrene.

Dipped in boiling water for a few seconds I can bend sheets to any curvature I want, and it can be stuck with standard superglue - taking care to avoid clouding. I think this is the ideal solution in my case.  :-))

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

CyberBOB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 12:32:53 am »

Will double sided tape work?

NoNuFink

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 03:02:13 pm »

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CBwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.plasticseurope.org%2FDocuments%2FDocument%2F20100705182216-050303GeneralChemicalResistanceofPET-20050303-003-EN-v1.pdf&ei=ZFTEU6KdFcmk8AWY64GAAQ&usg=AFQjCNFq6x3NSRmTrUN-DXCDSRKpYaBksw

Out of idle curiosity I looked at this link.  I'm going to display my ignorance here --  {:-{    Can anybody tell me what is the difference between 'Gasoline' and 'Petrol'?  In the link above they are given different ratings but I always thought hey were the same thing.

TIA

NNF

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 04:03:35 pm »

As per the thread title: I have a number of portholes to glaze in the 2-3cm diameter range that need to fit a curved surface.

PET plastic (the sort you find making up 2l Coke bottles*) would appear to be ideal from a material point-of-view, but in tests I can't find anything that'll stick PET to wood with anything like the security I'd like.

Suggestions please!

Andy

That's "Irn Bru bottles" for viewers in Scotland
0.25mm Polycarbonate.  It will pull around to quite tight curves and is gluable with solvent and impact adhesives.  Try and avoid superglues as they can cloud the clear plastic.
p.s. avaiable on fleabay for 3-4 quid for a A4 sheet
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.