Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello! new member; flash steam, gaff cutters and a wilful disregard for plans..  (Read 2340 times)

Synthpunk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

Hello everyone!
My names rich, im a guitar maker from london. I got back into making model boats recently after making some pond yachts for me nephews. My dad was a captain in the merchant navy, so ive always been around boats, and making models for the small people has reawakened my love of the sea!

I am lucky enough to be this generations custodian of a collection of rather smashing marine steam engines, and i have an ambition of getting all of them in a boat, running under steam, at least once. Rather than sitting on a shelf, getting dusty. No shelf queens!

Ive recently designed and built a flash steam plant for cruisers and straight runners, it runs on meths, cost me less than £20 to build and happily drives a stuart 10 engine. Its detailed over in the E T Westbury flash boiler thread in the steam R and d subforum. Im a big fan of the pioneering work that some of this forums members have done in the world of flash steam and monotube boilers and associated stuff.

Im in various states of completion on three steam boat builds. A displacement hull straight-runner and two hydros built along 1890s to 1920s lines.
My other love is gaff rigged racing cutters.
I am at the 'making the sails' stage in a build of a 1 metre keelboat. Shes 1.3 metres loa including bowsprit, carries nearly 14 square feet of sail, and a scary amount of lead, shes made of double diagonally planked walnut with boxwood and rosewood trim.
I like to make boats out of the offcuts left over from my guitar building commissions and projects, and i love making guitars from walnut...
So most of my boats are brown!
Ive also got a 2 foot free sailing model of a skerry racing cruiser, that was built in the fifties and i restored last year. shes a pretty boat but sails like a toy, so i built the above cutter to get some proper sailing in.. ;c)

Theres also a 5foot long model of the 1890s americas cup defender 'Mayflower' waiting to be finished, but shes too long to fit in the bath for trim tests, so is awaiting construction of a test tank facility in the back garden...

All of my boats except mayflower and the skerry have been built to my own designs, without plans, to my own methods. This is cos i have no idea what im doing, but im willing to make a guess and give it a go... 'measure twice, cut once. Do a lot of research, and then get stuck in!'

There are actually a lot of similarities between building guitars and model boats, they are both lightweight, often hollow, stressed wooden structures, normally with some electronics and often some string involved!

Most of my boats end up a wee bit heavy, but shiny and made of nice wood... ;c)

Anyways, ill mostly be hanging out in the steam section, seeya!

Cheers,

Rich

CyberBOB

• Full Mayhemer

Welcome Rich.

Sounds like you have quite the collection.  We like pictures!

Synthpunk

• Full Mayhemer

Thanks Bob!
Pics are rather fun, aren't they? ;)

Straight runner with my prototype flash steam boiler being tried out for size:

Synthpunk

• Full Mayhemer

1 metre walnut and pine steam hydro straight runner, single step.

Synthpunk

• Full Mayhemer

another single step hydro, pictured whilst cold moulding the hull skin. this ones got a ram bow (because, ummmm.... dunno? looks cool?), and like most of my boats is held together with dozens of brass nuts and bolts through the basic framework. ill explain why later. i also generally paint the internal framework red, it makes a change from all the brown!

cheers!

rich

Synthpunk

• Full Mayhemer

and heres the skerry and my metre cutter during the very early stages. 

she's a lot more developed now- can't wait to get her in the water, but tbh with work and stuff its unlikely to happen for a month or so.... grrrr!!

cheers!

rich.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Synthpunk, you have a PM.
Roy

Neil

• Full Mayhemer

magnificent models..........lovely stuff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.