Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RNLI TAMAR  (Read 6050 times)

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
RNLI TAMAR
« on: July 10, 2007, 07:17:44 pm »

have every intentention of having a go at the Tamar. found a few sites, but cant find any that show how the rear ramp folds down.
does any one have photos they would care to share? any sites, in case i have missed one?
thanks for the help
colin
grumpy old XXX

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
Re: RNLI TAMAR
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 07:35:57 pm »

Colin

All the details of how the back folds down is on the plans you can get from the RNLI there is a whole sheet called Recess Arrangments

John

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 07:41:22 pm »

http://lifeboats24-7.co.uk/forum/index.php?automodule=gallery&req=si&img=221

Not sure if this is any good to you but theres plenty more photos on the site of the Tamar.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 09:26:40 pm »

found that one,
thanks
keep them coming
colin
grumpy old XXX

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 11:51:25 am »

cheers john, just waiting to hear back from the RNLI(Jan ?) regarding price,ect
had a sleepless night last night and instead of putting the world to rights, i kept planning about the Tamar. Sad or what.
colin
grumpy old XXX

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 03:25:31 pm »

Colin

The plans from the RNLI cost £30 but if you are planning to scrach build there is not a lot of detail on the hull shape.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 04:08:38 pm »

that must be there most expensive set yet.
do you know where one can get hull lines from.
and are you building as well?
RNLI normally quicker at replying than this, and there i am all fired up and knowhere to go.
patience is a virtue. or soo i am told.
grumpy old XXX

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 06:53:22 pm »

Thus why i opted for the slipway tamar Colin, as a larger one im going to have to wait for until someone else has done the hard work of building a plug and making a few hulls.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 07:57:51 pm »

Hi Colin

Yes we are planning to build a 1/12 Tamar as that is the Traditional scale for model Lifeboats. It will be something along the same lines as the Severn on our site www.lifeboatmodels.co.uk As I said before the plans do not give some of the detail needed to build the hull so we will first be making a visit to a station with one to get some photos and more information. Knowing the issues we had with getting the Severn to perform right on the water getting a model Tamar to do the same could be quite a challenge as the real thing is only a meter less in length but 10 tons lighter in weight. Only when we get a weighted down hull to perform will we carry on and finish a boat.

John

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 08:53:32 pm »

small world, sent you or youre opo an e-mail via yure other site yesterday, didnt realise they were you(?)
anyway still going to give it a go(or not) but having yourse as afall back would be cool.
good luck
colin
p.s let us know when ready
grumpy old XXX

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 10:43:04 pm »

Hi Colin

What scale are you thinking of building?

Just to give you an idea of what is required. A real Severn is 41 tons and a 1/12 model floating to its lines is about 24Kg.
A Tamar is 30 tons so a 1/12 model should be about 17.5Kg now a Tamar has less wheelhouse structure but is still only going to be 75mm shorter than a Severn. The other thing is that we will need to get the same speed with smaller diameter props the only advantage is that they have 5 blades.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 03:47:12 pm »

of the top of me noggin, and without planns(stil not heard back from RNLI) was thinking of 1/12th. just a quick guess that would come out at about 1.3M. but havnt looked in to it to closely. get the plans then i can put whatever frame plans there are in to CAD and i can rescale to my hearts content.
have you got the tel Nos/address of where to enquire?
how far have you got with yours?
must admit i have never thought to much of the weight. plan on plank on frame/thin ply sheet, then light cloth and resin.
grumpy old XXX

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 08:53:45 pm »

of the top of me noggin, and without planns(stil not heard back from RNLI) was thinking of 1/12th. just a quick guess that would come out at about 1.3M. but havnt looked in to it to closely. get the plans then i can put whatever frame plans there are in to CAD and i can rescale to my hearts content.
have you got the tel Nos/address of where to enquire?
how far have you got with yours?
must admit i have never thought to much of the weight. plan on plank on frame/thin ply sheet, then light cloth and resin.

Colin there is a phone number and address on the RNLI website http://rnli.org.uk/who_we_are/contact_us/contact_us

Our plans at the moment are to try and get to a station with a Tamar in the next few months and get a lot of photos. Then to start work on a plug sometime in the autumn and make it a winter project. Hopefully we will have a working shell by the spring. It will have to have some of the same features as the Severn be self-righting like the real thing and all mouldings will gel coat coloured in blue or orange so there will be no need to paint them.

Look forward to seeing whatever you decide to build.

flundle

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 10:50:08 pm »

I have been reading the above and if anyone wants any help with a Tamar, details etc, just ask cos I have been over one of these little tinkers with a fine tooth comb!
I'm selling a kit but regardless of that, this help is freely offered to anyone who needs it.
Adrian Gosling
Speedline Models.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.