Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Shipwright Journal  (Read 2999 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Model Shipwright Journal
« on: July 10, 2007, 07:31:00 pm »

Anyone had trouble sending Model Shipwright an e-mail? My deliveries seem to have stopped (yes, the subs. have been paid) but using the e-mail address printed on the inside front cover, all e-mails come back as "un-deliverable". Not a happy bunny. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Bob

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Shipwright Journal
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 09:53:16 am »

Hi there Bryan, 
I am assuming the the MODEL SHIPWRIGHT Journal you are refering to is ex Conway Press. If so try www.anovabooks.com or as for some one there I last year corresponded with Komal Patel  (kpatel@anovabooks.com) and had success, though at this point I am waiting for the June publication (No 138) and if it is not here soon I will be on the wire again. I have accessed the Anova website and it appears to be still advertised.
Cheers, Bob Ferguson, Invercargill.

PS. The LSL is progressing all be it slowly. Too many diversions

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 04:48:40 pm »

Hi there Bryan, 
I am assuming the the MODEL SHIPWRIGHT Journal you are refering to is ex Conway Press. If so try www.anovabooks.com or as for some one there I last year corresponded with Komal Patel  (kpatel@anovabooks.com) and had success, though at this point I am waiting for the June publication (No 138) and if it is not here soon I will be on the wire again. I have accessed the Anova website and it appears to be still advertised.
Cheers, Bob Ferguson, Invercargill.

PS. The LSL is progressing all be it slowly. Too many diversions
I have'nt got 137 yet! Nice to see you are Persevering with Percy. What are you going to do with the bow doors? Still now and again hunting for the crane pics that I KNOW I have somewhere! Cheers. BY. PS...enjoying your winter? Can't be much worse than our lousy "summer".

Bob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 10:59:04 pm »

Yes Bryan the winters a bit lousy at the moment. Cold easterly winds with frost here and snow to the high ground. Just been up North Is for a week its just as cold there.
Now the "bow doors". The idea is to glass the hull all over then cut out the door sections to use again.  Make the whole door assembly and fit it in with an alloy frame just like a set of "whally teeth". But, to glass the hull means fit the anchor recesses. To fit the recesses means to have some anchor sizes, which means to make an anchor, which means to layout the focastle being as how I am a wee bit different than the drawings, having started before I had the luck to make contact with you good self, .........and so it goes. However make progress we do, and eventually we arrive. The fun is in the building as far as I am concerned but SWMBO's visits to town and coffee shops all take time.
I am a bit further on than the picture shows will sort a more up to date one soon and keep you posted.
Enjoy the rest of summer regardless, every day on top is a good one.
cheers, Bob

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 07:34:25 pm »

I seem to recall that the LSLs had recessed anchorswith only the tripping bar outboard of the hull. In turn, the "bar was only a round bar with a bracket holding it to the flukes. Only the "bar" impinged on to the hull (told me when it had come up far enough).
The rest of the anchor would be neatly housed in its socket. Hope to hear from you soon, and don't be too upset with the weather. With so-called Global Warming you may yet find that the NZ volcanic backbone will stop you all in your tracks! BY.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 07:57:01 pm »

I've never heard of the "Model Shipwright Journal" before, is it a publication worth getting hold of, and if so where should I start looking.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 08:03:50 pm »

It is a high quality ship modelling journal based in the UK which has been going for many years. If you think of Model Boats and Marine modelling International as Ford and Vauxhall then Model Shipwright is BMW/Audi/Mercedes!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 10:21:33 pm »

I've never heard of the "Model Shipwright Journal" before, is it a publication worth getting hold of, and if so where should I start looking.
Started in 1979, and is a quarterly publication of around 80 high-res pages per issue. Quite a lot of it is devoted to wooden ships of one sort or another, but there is also a lot of more modern stuff.....some of which can knock your socks off and make you want to take up basket weaving instead of trying to reach their standards. It is edited by John Bowen, who should (through his books) be known to you. If you want to be inspired then subscribe....if you want to become a manic depressive then don't! I'll send you a PM on this later.
PS..did you get the pics of the car build? BY.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.