Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Springer tugs for tug towing  (Read 4836 times)

timg

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Springer tugs for tug towing
« on: June 29, 2014, 11:01:18 pm »

Hi All
I’m thinking of building a couple of springer tugs to use for tug towing, as a starter tug, quick/cheap build for my son and I.
I will make the Springer the same size but may change the running gear ect

Has anyone used springers as a starting point for towing or am I wasting my time ? is there a better model to start  towing with ?

Thanks for any help / suggestions in advance

Spud

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 12:20:29 am »

Yes, towing can be done well with a Springer. I have placed in all top three places using my springer tug.
Dual tug towing, Barge handling and other maneuvering competitions. A standard Springer in all respects.

I also have a really complex and maneuverable tug, but until I used my springer, I never place in the top five.
It took six years for me to control the higher functioning tug to place "third"  :o

:-))

Make sure you build the springer after a tug that has  a tow point well ahead of the rudder or ahead
or on the boats center of rotation. If the tow line is too far back, or  close to the rudder, the springer will
not be able to control its rotation, and the tow line will keep forcing the boat to pull straight ahead.
(If this occurs, then you must rely on a stern tug to turn your tow.)

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 12:29:23 am »

I built a springer from an Aero-naut kit. But it's "regulation compliant" (in terms of dimensions ...) so there's nothing special.

I decided to use a brushless outrunner motor, with a 6V lead acid battery. With a 40mm 4-blade  #147 prop from Raboesh I get up to 4 hours on run time, cruising around.

At Bateaux en Fêtes, earlier this month, xtian29 had brought is "Toy for Tug", his massive semi-submersible heavy lift ship "Spirit of Archimedes". 4 meters long, 0.75m wide. Up to 375L of ballast.

In anticipation I had upgraded the prop on my springer: a 45mm 4-blade #174 Raboresh prop. Same pitch, but much more blade surface.

Type 147 4-blade Raboesh prop

Type 174 4-blade Raboesh prop

While not as maneuverable as twin ASDs, twin VSPs, a springer can almost spin on herself.

Here are pics and videos from my Springer at work: http://rc.noalia.fr/boats/events/2014-05-bateaux-en-fete

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:22:29 pm »

Hi Uni_Ryuzuki and Calimero

Thanks for your information

Great pic;s 

I did make a springer years ago which my son does use but from what you have said about the towing position I think a few mod’s are needed , and I have started a 2nd  one 

Just a few more questions please

are you using a high amp speed controller ?

what have you used to make your towing post and how is it mounted ?

thanks
spud

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 12:30:43 am »

Quote from: spud
are you using a high amp speed controller ?

Whether you go brushless or brushed, a springer isn't really a high amp application.

Here's the hardware I used in my springer.

Yep, that's a 625W motor (under much higher voltage than the 6V it gets in my springer though) and a 60Amp car ESC  {-)

Actual amp draw averages ~1.5A with the "basic" 40mm 4-blade prop, cruising around half throttle. I get around 4 hours of run time from a 6V/7.2Ah lead battery. Both the motor and ESC are total overkill but that means I don't have to worry about cooling them. And you'd have trouble finding a brushless ESC below 40 amps (unless you go for tiny ESCs for tiny cars ... but they end up being more expensive).
Even towing the Spirit of Archimedes  (ie: almost constant full throttle) I still got an hour and a half off the 7.2Ah battery. That's with the bigger 45mm/wide blade prop.

Quote from: spud

what have you used to make your towing post and how is it mounted ?

I used the towing posts (samson posts ?) that came with my kit. They're made of metal.

Posts go through the deck. I epoxyed them in place (I made some "formwork" with masking tape on the underside and poured epoxy).

You'll notice the hull has three transverse beams and piece of plywood near the bow. Front post lines up with that plywood "plank". Rear post ends up right next to second beam from stern. Once deck was epoxyed to hull, I added small plywood strips under the deck around the posts and put a more epoxy bonding the extra plywood strips, towing posts and either the beam or the bow "plank" together. Had to work with the tug upside down. Not really easy (had to use a mirror to look inside).

Deck and hull were sealed with G4 marine primer which really stiffens the plywood. All joints where reinforced with epoxy fillets (ie: heat up the hull with hair dryer, pour some 30 min epoxy which gets very fluid due to the heat, tilt hull around and let epoxy cure with hull at the right angle; repeat). Took some time but the hull is really stiff now.

Was worth the effort 'cause both posts are really strong. I can pull my springer out of the water using the posts.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 03:30:12 am »

I use a 25amp Mtronics ESC. Nothing fancy.
Standard 500 series johnson motor.
The towing staple was built up and cast.
I then drilled it out and placed a 6mm aluminium rod vertically, then
drilled in from the side to reinforce the bitts and pin the center hawse into place.
I cut the vertical rod to go through the deck and a 6mm thick reinforcement plate under the deck.
The base of the rods were drilled and tapped to  take 4/40 threaded socket screws.
A screw and washer hold the staple in place underneath the deck and reinforcement plate.

:-)

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 11:01:52 pm »

Hi Uni_Ryuzuki and Calimero

once again thanks for the info

i will see what i have in the garage this weekend to make a towing post , i will post some pic's

cheers
spud

Getemuphigh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 12:39:03 pm »

Here are some pictures I took last weekend at the Kirklees Model Boat Club open day of a Springer Tug from a kit by S.H.G. Model Supplies, they are UK based.

http://www.shgmodels.com

Think its a new kit for 2014 and I was told the kit comes complete with motor and prop etc.

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 11:06:50 pm »

Hi getemuphigh
1st time I have seen that kit ,not sure how long it would last with a 5 year old at the controls
but thanks anyway, 
I have been building a 2nd hull , just fitting the motor ,

cheers
spud

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 08:10:37 am »

The SHG Sprinter has been around a while.
Not sure if it's still available as it is not in the latest
catalogue.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.