Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Empire Tug steering wheel position  (Read 2169 times)

Dave J

• Full Mayhemer
Empire Tug steering wheel position
« on: July 15, 2014, 07:58:53 pm »

I made a model of the steam tug Empire Hilda which was renamed Fishershill and used by James Fisher and Sons Ltd in the Barrow docks system. I put the steering wheel on the flying Bridge structure on the forward side of the steering post, or should this have been on the aft side?

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Empire Tug steering wheel position
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 09:41:18 pm »

Spot on matey. they were in front of the pedestal so that when looking astern and towing the wheel was in the right place..  my model of the fisherhill that I built some 15 years ago.   Geo

Dave J

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 07:28:50 pm »

When I made the bridge structure I had access to photographs taken in the docks, two angled stern shots show the steering positioned obstructed by the funnel (when looking aft) and the steering positioned could not be seen from the forward direction. I agree with your comments did you build your model from shipyard drawings? looks a nice model.

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 08:07:29 pm »

Hi Dave   No I used a very small G A Drawing from the empire tugs book and the photos of the stella class tugs from there as well, I actually built the Fisherhill and the Guardsman at the same time a bit of a chore but they turned out well I think  they were both built at 1/24th scale  half inch to the foot.   Geo

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 10:09:16 pm »

The Cerva had her flying bridge wheel fitted on the front of the post, have an old photo which shows it, plus she is an old Foremost class empire tug.

Dave J

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 04:30:39 pm »

Thank you for the replies it would appear to be correct to have the steering wheel on the forward side of the post but when a question arose, was I sure about the position? was it on the rear of the post? and without any photographic evidence or drawings I started to have doubts myself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.