Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Weathered rc tug photos  (Read 14304 times)

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
Weathered rc tug photos
« on: July 11, 2007, 12:48:48 pm »

Dear forum members,

Has anyone taken photos of model rc tugs that have been convincingly weathered? I would be very interested to see these, as I am getting close to completing a small model of "Crosby" (a PBM kit), and would like some inspiration in this respect (apart from photos of real tugs). To my mind a nicely weathered tug would be essential to convey that elusive "real" work horse atmosphere that makes tugs so appealing. Coming from a model railway background, I am used to seeing nicely weathered models and layouts, where the builders are trying to portray a convincing "snapshot" of reality. Tugs are excellent candidates in this respect; the ravages of sea water, rain, heavy diesel oil, damage from hitting objects in docks, etc, would soon reduce the ex-works look to something less pristine on a machine that must take a hammering in its daily life.

Many thanks
Polobeer
 8)

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
Re: Weathered rc tug photos
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 06:53:54 pm »

you need to speak to Phil scales he has some of the best looking tugs i have ever seen. he attended one of our club meetings last month and instructed us on a few of his techniques in my opinion anyway

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 09:40:45 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion Ministeve

Cheers  :)

big-geoff

• Full Mayhemer
  • Whats that button for?
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 02:56:43 pm »

Here is a weathered paddler of mine.

I used Carrs powders and oversprayed with a light coat of thinned varnish to seal it all.
I am from a model rail background as well, I have found what works well there can work just as well in model boats.

Regards

Big-geoff

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 10:26:27 am »

Nice boat big-geoff! Many thanks for posting the photo. Was this built from a kit?

Regards
Polobeer  :o

big-geoff

• Full Mayhemer
  • Whats that button for?
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 10:32:41 pm »

I cant get on with kits.

This was built on a bet, a friend of mine produced a photo from a rail magazine and dared me to produce a model of it, 6 mts later he ate the magazine.

Its plank on frame hull, all the planks are made from veneers, the funnel is packaging from a pen I got one Xmas (I keep everything, you never know when it may be usefull).

Great fun to build, it was even more fun watching the magazine get eaten.

Big-Geoff

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 04:53:50 pm »

Here is my wethered and dirty tug

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 11:21:55 am »

Dear Big-Geoff and Tom@Crewe,

Many thanks for your posts (info and photos). Big-Geoff, the paddle steamer is even more appealing knowing its origins; it's full of atmosphere! Very nice tugs Tom@Crewe! Where I live (west Wales) Red Kites can be seen flying regularly (at one time, it was one of the last strongholds of this endangered species).

All the best
Polobeer 8)

Langsford

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 05:28:48 pm »

??? no one has mentioned HOW to weather tugs. What is Carrs powder? Cheers, Langsford

big-geoff

• Full Mayhemer
  • Whats that button for?
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 05:37:42 pm »

Carr's weathering powders.

Known to railway modelers the world over, comes in all shades of rust, dirt, coal etc.

Try Squires Model & Craft Tools
Bognor
01243 842424

They are a mine of bits and pieces usefull to all modelmakers.

Regards

Big-geoff

SimonO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 04:46:23 pm »

I use pastel chalks mixed and dusted over a thinned coat of varnish, if you want to model heavy corrosion use superglue with a heavy dusting of orange and brown, check out the link below:

http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q196/sifromdevon/?action=view&current=Glowworm004.jpg

Also try my album on http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q196/sifromdevon/ there are other tug photos along with some of the other weatheriong i've done on my landing craft and armoured dozer.

regards

Simon

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 05:39:52 pm »

Cheers for that SimonO!! Good photos!

Best wishes,
Simon  ;)

SimonO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 08:16:10 pm »

You are welcome Polobeer, I tend to find with weathering its not putting the pastels on authentically, but getting them to stay on during use, i.e. washing over with pond water does ruin hours of work. Carrs weathering powders are good but costly, three or four pastels of brown through to orange and a bit of sand paper will last for ages, the knack is figuring out were to put the rust....

Si

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 01:23:54 pm »

MIG powders are also very good for weathering O0 I have been using these for a while now, the best ones are light rust and standard rust which can be used to good effect. If you go to a good art shop and look up Charisma-colour-pencils, these are available in a number of colours. I tend to use mostly silver or gun-metal for fresh scratches (see Bat-Wing's silver scratches), red and browns for older scratches that have gone rusty. Then if you really want to go to town, try Oil Washes for bringing out any detail in the model.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 01:44:03 pm »

tamiya also sell weathering powders, in earth colours, dust colours , oil and  grime colours, and rusts and corrosion  colours, i bought mine in sets from japan via ebay..... got a good deal that way.....
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 01:47:59 pm »

I've not tried the Tamiya range myself, seen them at my local model shop for sale....not cheap tho!

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 05:25:16 pm »

Mr Polobeer,

UBoatBuilder gave me the following tips a while ago when i enquired about weathering, he has done a fantastic job with some of his subs and when i get around to finishing a model i will have ago. Try this:

Hi Simon,
             ill try to keep it short and simple.

GRIME
first you have to build up the "grimey" look. I used humbrol No.1 through an airbrush, just spraying a relatively light mist over an areabut dont let it dry to much, take a cotton bud (you may have to find something else for such a large scale) dip it in some thinners (enamel) and use it to spread the paint and get it watery (horizontal strokes) then do the same again but with light vertical strokes (direction water will run off of the surface) when dry this will make the surface look like it has had water running down it from splashes etc. and gives it that grimey streaky look and if you have panel lines and rivets the paint will collect in these more than the on the flat surface  (check out the sub photos again and look at the conning tower and the front end and you should be able to see what i mean. check out my original post aswell, revell type 7 pics ) do small areas at a time. it keeps it random looking and also you dont want one part to dry whilst doing another 'cos it wont spread properly.
        It probably wont look dirty enough with the first cote so let it dry for about a day and do it again and keep doing it till your happy with it. once your happy with it take the airbrush and just give it a light spray over this will darken any left over "clean" bits and gives the illusion of ground in dirt with the streaky bits if you know what i mean.

For where dirt collects very heavily for example on the sub flowing out of holes and on the panel line on the trim tanks and lower hull just airbrush as normal. Also pay close attention to the bottom edge of the superstructure as dirt will collect at the  here both from it running down the surface and being splashed from people running around on deck (again check the subs) i used the cotton bud technique but heavier than on the hull to really drag alot of the paint to the bottom, then just airbrush normally on the edge.

RUST
For rust i used windsor and newton artists oil colours, the range is called winton oil colours, and the colours are raw sienna (light rust), and burnt umber (dark rust) these are thinned with white spirit, and are brush painted they wont go through an airbrush.
      First use raw sienna and simply paint on where and in the shape you want, typically it starts fat and slims to a point. try to do it in one stroke decreasing the pressure as you go to give the point and you can always fatten it out at the top after the point is the main bit to get right. however make sure that this will be fatter than the dark rust your about to put over it (the key is to look ahead of what your doing). let this dry but not completely take a cotton bud and lightly smudge it particularly at the edges, it may not look like much at first but this will give the rust that "bleeding" look.
 Now take the burnt umber and do the same as you did just now but try to get it in the centre of the light rust, basically it just needs to be thinner and shorter, let this dry but for slightly longer than the light rust because you dont want it smudged as much you just want to take the harsh edge off of it. In smaller areas i used the light rust on  its own just to give some variation. Also for very rusty areas  i didnt smudge the dark rust at all (at the front, on the edge of the deck) i tink this makes it look like the rust is really eating into the metal.

SMALL DETAILS

almost finished,
for grime build around small things like hatches, deck guns i used oil colours again, same ones the colour is paynes grey. mix some with white spirit till its almost like water put some on the brush and just touch an edge or crease (eg. around a hatch or gun sight) the paint will flow around that edge, giving a grime build up look to it if it looks to dark just dab it with a cotton bud to take off any excess, i did the whole gun like this, if the object has any flat surfaces then use the oil colour and smear it with the trusty old cotton bud, WITHOUT white spirit, as the paint already has it and using more will just take the paint off.

a few words of warning i noticed the boat has been on the water so it is probably varnished with a gloss or satin cote, you may want to spray over this with a matt cote to help the paint stick (our subs are matt) you will have to seal in the oil colours anyway because they arent at all durable and will rub off with alot of touching, picking up etc. so you will be able to put the old varnish back on.

I CANNOT 100% GUARANTEE THAT THIS METHOD WILL WORK AS THIS METHOD HAS BEEN USED ON A MODEL THAT IS TINY IN COMPARISON TO YOURS, BUT IF NOTHING ELSE IS AT LEAST I SUPPOSE A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION

also i think experimenting on maybe a small cheap kit or another boat you dont really care about (though thats probably unlikely). I used my sub as the experiment and it happened to come out right. (I have never weathered anything before the sub). But whilst experimenting you will develop your own method of doing as mine is by no means the only way and for all i know it could be the hardest and longest way to do it    , its each to his own.

I hope this is clear and easy enough to understand, i know its a bit long, sorry, but at least you'll have something to read when there's nothing on TV.

any probs or advise along the way of course its ok to ask, just send me pm, or start add it to your build thread so we can all see how your getting on.

happy reading, let me know if this is all ok for you, AND DONT BE DAUNTED BY IT, HAVE A GO! LIKE ME YOU MIGHT SURPRISE YOURSELF

Grant   
Rubbin is Racin!

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 06:00:56 pm »

Sounds about right O0  O0 O0 Glad to see he remembered everything i told him  ;)

He forgot to mention that you need to soak the cotton bud in thinners first before you use it on the oils, this just helps with thinning out the oil and gives you the desired rust run.

bigford

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 11:31:35 pm »

NOT MINE>>>>

the rotterdam belong to a member on rc group. i just hop my rotterdam
looks the well used someday  O0

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 11:49:37 pm »

Now that is good O0 That looks so much better than a clean boat!

Do you have any more pics?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2007, 12:57:29 am »

GREAT photos!  :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

bigford

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2007, 02:08:05 am »

Thanks for the link :o :o :o :o

The weathering is just perfect!!! Stunning work, the weathering has really brought the boat to life. I need a moment alone to cry now :'(

bigford

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2007, 03:09:45 am »

i hear ya when he posted that i was like oh my god. a true artist

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2007, 03:36:33 am »

My teary moment has now past, normal service has now been resumed :)

Do you think you could find out from him the colours he used? And any techniques he used to get those effects? Any info you get would be greatly received!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.