Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The most common model boat ever made  (Read 8816 times)

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The most common model boat ever made
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 11:09:49 am »

How about the kiel kraft eezebilt range of boats. Most older modelers will have made one of these and there is a great web site that people are still building from. The number of models made must run into the thousands.
Not sure which would have been the most popular, possibly the Terrier mtb.
Chas
This was my thoughts, I had a Neptune built by my Father but this were everywhere when I was young. Much cheaper than the Aerokit kits which were not pocket money pricing both kits & the power plants required for them
Jim

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 06:03:35 pm »

The question was about boats built from kits or plans, so the RTR and ready built toy yachts are out.
Not any one particular kit, but, as a subject, the RAF crash launches have been modeled from when the real thing appeared and are still a popular subject in all the various forms from scratch built IC and straightish running balsa kits, through the various RC electrics versions over the years down to the Airfix version.  And that's been RC'd as well.
But if I was to nominate one single kit, it would be the 1/72 Corvette.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 07:35:24 pm »

My first two builds were aerokits crash tender & waveny lifeboat in 1968-69 the crash tender is still popular today ...Bill....

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 07:27:29 am »

how about the micro magic....sold worldwide....tony

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 10:27:27 am »

How many Vic Smeed "Starlets" are there out there?
cheers
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Leaky Bottom

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2014, 12:33:02 pm »

How many Vic Smeed "Starlets" are there out there?
cheers
vnkiwi

I've got a "Starlet" O0
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2014, 03:09:06 pm »

There's a lorralorra springers around the World :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 08:25:02 pm »

hi there

well this is a very interesting read this one, and very nostalgic too.  Couple of things that spring to mind though, when we consider a topic like this one - I dont think we can truly disregard the role played by plastic kits in the modelling field. 

We could safely say that in all the modelling fields plastic kits started us modellers off with our hobbies. :-)  Starting off with a 10 pence plastic kit in a bag - depending on our age for the price of course :-)

I bet it would either have been a Spitfire or can one remember HMS Shannon from Airfix?

If we consider the plastic kits we also have to take into consideration the little plastic yachts as well - as the manufacturer of these little toy yachts also produced models of boats for Triang.  Can you remember the clockwork fishing trawler?  The other ones I can remember was a model I think it was called the Mercury of a luxury cruise yacht.  Along with that was the firefloat - as I often see that coming up for sale on EBay.   

The next thing I can think about and totally forgot was the KeelKraft Easy build models.   I have been on to their website and downloaded plans for the Terrier MTB.   Nostalgia kicking in real badly here.   

Who remembers the EveryReady cycle battery as well - also as has been said to me via Personal Message was the Vic Smeed plan for the Guardsman - how many of those have been built.   

Some more food for our nostagic thoughts.

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2014, 10:33:36 pm »

The question was about boats built from kits or plans, so the RTR and ready built toy yachts are out.

Malcolm, you've eliminated my two suggestions by suggesting I didn't read the question correctly. Not right, the question set wasn't the correct one to my answer! (should have taken up politics - lol).

I bet it would either have been a Spitfire or can one remember HMS Shannon from Airfix?

John, going off subject, wasn't the first 'true' Airfix kit the 1952 Golden Hind and cost 2/-? Some of the rare kits are quite valuable today - SS Southern Cross is one, and some which the moulds have been 'lost' in time, which don't just spring to mind. Can anyone help?

Tony

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2014, 11:03:12 pm »

Hi all, its difficult to find out numbers but I was told that the Imara kit hit 5000 units some years ago and then they stopped counting.

As in a previous point Bugsier 3 was and still is in production after 40 years, do not know how many but if they shipped 5 per week that comes out at 10,000 units.
Any body know any numbers?
regards Roy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.