Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Observations of a newbie and gold medals for....  (Read 1317 times)

R1sahoot

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Observations of a newbie and gold medals for....
« on: August 01, 2014, 10:46:41 pm »

I am very pleased to report that my build of ME214 Coastal Girl is nearing completion. This is my 3rd build. My first a billings kit, my second a build from RNLI plans and now Coastal Girl mostly from my own memories of going to sea on her as a child, old photos and paintings by Peter Anson.

Unlike my first 2 builds which are mantel ornaments I have, as this build has progressed, given in to the temptation of RC and now can't wait to getting her on the water.

I have been shocked by the cost of this particular build and by the dramatic variances in my treatment by vendors of the materials that I required.

Lesson 1 eBay is not always cheapest and best
Lesson 2 some vendors have vague descriptions and lack of detail for a reason
Lesson 3 there are several who will happily mislead or misdirect an obvious newb

I don't do the blame game and I'm not a victim. I made my choices and live with the consequences.

In my lifetime I have been fortunate to have been both a consumer and a vendor. In the last few months I have experienced the aloof and arrogant who know better, have little time for outsiders and don't really care for my custom either. Thankfully I have also experienced others who have delighted in talking with me and have gone out of their way to tell me about themselves, discuss my needs, challenges and aspirations and offer sound, realistic, honest advice and guidance.

So based on the following categories;
accuracy of description, customer service, quality of product, speed of response to enquiries, perceived and actual value and quality, speed and cost of shipping, overall engagement and enjoyment of the purchasing experience...

I, the newbie, award gold medals to....
Steve at model boat bits - honest , genuine guy who goes the extra mile , I'd buy him a beer anytime
Keith at modelling timbers - excellent products, excellent customer service, fast shipping
All of the team at Cornwall Models, excellent customer service and range of products, fast shipping

To all of you that took the time to talk with me and sell me great products, Brian, Mark, I have already thanked you, keep up the good work guys more of my money coming your way.

To the others, rude, aloof or just lazy, good luck whilst you are still in business.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Observations of a newbie and gold medals for....
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 10:19:35 am »

Hear Hear! Two of your three  I can agree with as I have happily spent quite a bit of cash with them (modelling timbers/cornwall mb) I am sure model boat bits is just as deserving and one day I'll probably get around to buying something from them as well.

Our hobby would be nothing without supporters such as those you have named.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
Re: Observations of a newbie and gold medals for....
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 09:55:23 pm »

Depends on your luck. I made an email inquiry to Cornwall Model Boats about a motor, prop. ( correct rotation r/h or l/h) waited a couple of days with no reply. So I ordered a 555 motor, a coupling ( with the right end pieces) servo extension lead and a 5 blade r/h prop from Westbourne Models.  Then ordered from SLEC ply and strip wood.

We all have stories on this subject but we do end up going to our own choice of suppliers where the service is.

I use Ebay as a last resort or for price comparison
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.