Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: IJN GUNBOAT.  (Read 8019 times)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
IJN GUNBOAT.
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:15:21 pm »

Here is my Imperial Japanese Gunboat Circa early 1900's. She is 1/35 scale and as can been seen has some damage to her railings-clumsy me caught them- nothing that cannot be fixed.

Here she is having a ballast test with 12v battery fitted, had an issue with a motor that just revved itself silly and blew fuses-swapped over for a smaller one and that seems to sorted it.

Si:)

My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

CyberBOB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: IJN GUNBOAT.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 09:55:04 pm »

Very nice.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 07:49:46 am »

HiCyberbob, like the model what length is she?  Are they your own plans?
Looks good and a bit unusual.
regards Roy

CyberBOB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 08:29:55 am »

Eddiesolo might be able to answer this question better, as it is his model.  I was just replying.

Krishna

• aqua plannerrrr....................
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 08:54:11 am »

its great model Eddie.. and may i ask one doubt.. why we use the word "Circa".. please..?
in sheer ecstasy of being a powerful,mushy,masculine trans woman of substance...

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 09:04:10 am »

sorry Cyberbob  made a mistake!
Krisna, circa means about the time of.
regards Roy

Krishna

• aqua plannerrrr....................
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 09:20:23 am »

roy.. time.. means about an era..? is so what century..? modern.. thanks in advance..
in sheer ecstasy of being a powerful,mushy,masculine trans woman of substance...

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 10:00:52 am »

Hi Krishna circa 1900's means about the time of 1900.  Gives you an error of about 10 years either way. 

However the further back you go the error is allowed to increase.  Circa 1600's or circa 17th. century which are the same, would allow you to say sometime during that 100 years.

Circa 2000 would mean about the year 2000.  The year 2000 was the start of the 21st. century.
1900 was the start of the 20th. century.
The years 0 -99 AD being the 1st. century.
Hope that helps.
Roy

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 10:18:18 am »

I may be crazy but that looks a lot like HMS Instant a Douglas Mc Ghee design from the 1970s. 
That's not to say it doesn't look great. very nice model.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 11:04:59 am »

I may be crazy but that looks a lot like HMS Instant a Douglas Mc Ghee design from the 1970s. 
That's not to say it doesn't look great. very nice model.

Correct, same hull and superstructure, the only difference is the gun and wheelhouse.  :-))

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/17124/hms-instant-mm1250

Pretty sure the plans are in this issue:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODEL-BOATS-JUNE-1978-HMS-INSTANT-SIRIUS-TWO-SUBMARINES-/161083866242

My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 11:07:29 am »

Hi eddie, was this a free plan, perhaps you know when?
regards Roy

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 11:16:13 am »

Hi eddie, was this a free plan, perhaps you know when?
regards Roy

Hi Roy, not sure if this was a free plan, can be bought but expensive  {:-{  I'll have a dig about and see if I can find a copy.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 11:30:32 am »

Gunboats of this era tended to look a little generic on account of them all having been built by the Yarrow shipyards  on the Thames.

p.s. I've got a copy of this plan in jpeg format.  PM me if interested.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 11:40:34 am »

Hi eddie, thanks I have Model Boats and Model Maker so would appreciate a pointer to date.
Hi TallUK, thanks for the offer, I will come back to you if all else fails.
kind regards Roy

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 12:08:42 pm »

I think it's in the ebay link. June 1978!

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 02:06:05 pm »

I think it's in the ebay link. June 1978!

Ta for that, yeah, June 1978 edition.

I have actually had a look at her and decided to revert back to HMS Instant. Just took the decals off, adding her name to the front and a flag, also adding some more small bollards stern and bow, she has only one and that is for the anchor.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 03:17:12 pm »

Hi eddie not sure why I missed the part of the ebay reference!  I have the magazine to hand now, originally the plans cost £1.35 interesting, will have a think about it.
You have a very fine model though, I thought that the naval figures looked Japanese, or was it my imagination!.
regards Roy

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 03:24:21 pm »

Look more like the Postmen of my youth %% {:-{ %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 04:07:19 pm »

Hi eddie not sure why I missed the part of the ebay reference!  I have the magazine to hand now, originally the plans cost £1.35 interesting, will have a think about it.
You have a very fine model though, I thought that the naval figures looked Japanese, or was it my imagination!.
regards Roy
In 1/35th scale everyone looks Japanese.   {-) {-) {-) {-)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 05:11:26 pm »

Look more like the Postmen of my youth %% {:-{ %%

Ned

{-) ...Postman Algernon Mortimer-Styles...and his...er...black and white Cat pony :D

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 05:18:59 pm »

In 1/35th scale everyone looks Japanese.   {-) {-) {-) {-)

LOL, so true, or they look like a melon is trying to part company from a small orifice...hence the googly eyes. :D

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 05:23:41 pm »

regards Roy

I see, so not a free plan... :((  At inflation values it only comes to around £6.50 in today's money so £12.50 is a lot.

Glad you like it, the figures do look Japanese but saying that the Naval dress for many countries look the same.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 05:34:34 pm »

Hi Eddie

Nice model of a play on of HMS Instant. However I believe judging by the design from the original plans I think it more a late 1920s to early 1930s style guessing by the bridge and superstructure. Early early river gunboats of the Yangtse tended to have very large superstructures to house the crew due to the lack of head space and draught of the hull. They looked very much like floating houses with small 3 or 6 pdr guns at either end! It wasn't until the insect class came out that superstructures were lowered to make them less conspicuous however this doesn't mean that they didn't try to extend upwards! HMS Bee being one fine example of over the top extensions!
Regarding the builders of the original vessels they would have been Yarrow and Thornycroft, Alfred Yarrow had the bigger orders because of his patented Yarrow Flap to keep the exit of the propeller tunnel below water level as the fuel was expended. The Insect drawings I have just show a blank at the stern and simply states Yarrow Patent! Thornycroft built the early British gunboats- I think Waterhen and Moorhen were the ones built by Thornycroft.
Anyway I digress! If you want to see some examples of different river gunboats from 1900-1945 there is a book by Osprey Publishing called 'Yangtse River Gunboats' which shows every nation that had a river gunboat on the Yangtse.
Good work hope it works soon :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 06:14:44 pm »

Hi Eddie

Nice model of a play on of HMS Instant. However I believe judging by the design from the original plans I think it more a late 1920s to early 1930s style guessing by the bridge and superstructure. Early early river gunboats of the Yangtse tended to have very large superstructures to house the crew due to the lack of head space and draught of the hull. They looked very much like floating houses with small 3 or 6 pdr guns at either end! It wasn't until the insect class came out that superstructures were lowered to make them less conspicuous however this doesn't mean that they didn't try to extend upwards! HMS Bee being one fine example of over the top extensions!
Regarding the builders of the original vessels they would have been Yarrow and Thornycroft, Alfred Yarrow had the bigger orders because of his patented Yarrow Flap to keep the exit of the propeller tunnel below water level as the fuel was expended. The Insect drawings I have just show a blank at the stern and simply states Yarrow Patent! Thornycroft built the early British gunboats- I think Waterhen and Moorhen were the ones built by Thornycroft.
Anyway I digress! If you want to see some examples of different river gunboats from 1900-1945 there is a book by Osprey Publishing called 'Yangtse River Gunboats' which shows every nation that had a river gunboat on the Yangtse.
Good work hope it works soon :-))

Cheers Nick, interesting, the wheelhouse and gun are different from the original plans, so as you say 20's/30's does fit with the design rather than the earlier versions, was having a look and they look monstrous regarding superstructure, although some do look rather nice.

Funnily enough, I have seen two other versions of this boat, one with a open wheelhouse and covered foredeck, the other with a cloth covered wheelhouse and a gun on the stern...don't know how accurate they are?

Thanks for taking the time to comment and posting the info, appreciate that.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 09:31:32 am »

Cheers Nick, interesting, the wheelhouse and gun are different from the original plans, so as you say 20's/30's does fit with the design rather than the earlier versions, was having a look and they look monstrous regarding superstructure, although some do look rather nice.

Funnily enough, I have seen two other versions of this boat, one with a open wheelhouse and covered foredeck, the other with a cloth covered wheelhouse and a gun on the stern...don't know how accurate they are?

Thanks for taking the time to comment and posting the info, appreciate that.

The original design was supposed to be a "semi-scale" model so not intended to be a super accurate rendition of a gun boat.  In Glynn Guest tradition I think they were going for a inexpensive RPD (Rapid Pond Deployment) model.  Like most of this kind of of model they can be many different things to different people.  It's a cute model either way and added to my build list somewhere around number 15.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.