Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burutu - Its Started  (Read 8052 times)

turner

• Shipmate
Burutu - Its Started
« on: December 04, 2007, 01:06:22 pm »

Burutu  - I bought the plans for this for about twenty years ago and decided at the time that I ought to have a tug a bit bigger than 30” long. I got the plans enlarged by a factor of two, making them 1:25, rolled them up and put them away.
Have studied and thought about building options on numerous occasions and managed to keep track of the plans during my five house moves. 
Now I’ve gone and done it - bought a sheet of 12mm and 6mm marine cut the plans up, glued the plan, hull profile and sections onto the ply and pinned the elevation onto the garage wall.

Bl**dy Hell that’s big!   

Will I be able to pick it up?   
How will I transport it? 
Will it fit in the harbour arrangements at the likes of Balne Moor?
How am I going to test it? – It wont fit in the bath!
Where am I going to find motors big enough to drive it?

I had also decided a long time ago that it would be plank on frame a) there was no commercially available grp hull at 1:25 and b) bread and butter construction would be prohibitive in cost terms although probably quickest. Consequently for years I have been saving all the bits of mahogany and oak furniture I have come across –

How am I going to cut all the planks I need? – a three millimetre saw blade wont be economic at producing two millimetre planks.

I was also thinking that I wanted the twin screws operating from one channel on my radio, only one joystick having “move and stay – friction” – bet its not called that.
I realise that I would be loosing the option for manoeuvring with different prop revs but thought that having moveable korts would be much more effective than this anyway. So that would be one big motor, into a gearbox, split into two and arrange for contra-rotation – easy.

Then I was talking to someone at the MMM Tugnology day who made the point about one motor, bit of weed, blown fuse and a long wait for it to blow back to the edge!

MMMmmmm Ok so that’s two motors two speed controllers but I still only want to use one channel – then I found a “Y” lead and a wiring diagram courtesy of Mayhem and Action Electronics web sites.

Started cutting some wood – seemed like a good thing to do – worry about the details later !

First Photographs taken by my daughter.

turner

• Shipmate
Re: Burutu - Its Started
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 01:38:53 pm »

Herewith Photo's 2 & 3 had to resize one of them - it didnt go first time

Big Ada

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 05:23:37 pm »

Photo 3, Are you sure you are not building a Ford Cortina!

{-) {-)  Len {-) {-)

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 06:17:36 pm »

GET IN THERE!..............nothing looks better than a decent sized tug mate.  O0
My own project is just under 4ft long by 18" beam and was originally going to be POF, but im considering building it a plug, then mould then a grp hull. Shame to make all that room and have it blocked by frames here and there.
I got a sever taste for the 'big girls' after some time studying the goodies at http://www.ig-spezialschiffe.net/index1.html, my TID's also a very healthy 6ft!  :D

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 08:17:02 pm »

hi turner  heres her sister bjima at 25th scale, had fun building her and sails like a dream,in all weathers and sits great in the water, enjoy yr build and keep posting the pics.  brian_c

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 03:28:35 am »

Hi turner, here's a couple of photos of Burutu at 1/24 scale, built by Peter Barlow, one of our club members. It has working fire monitors & diesel sound complete with engine start up sound. The motors are from car heater units -  Ford, I think.
Peter.

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 03:25:10 pm »

It looks great Peter.

I built a Bajima hull at 1.25 some years ago and put an Eskgarth lid on it as I couldn't get the plans for Eskgarth.  I built the Kingston mouldings Eskgarth at 1.48 and doubled up for an exercise in building.  The only trouble was that every measurement was cubed and the boat came out at 90lbs+!!
The hull went on the Cortina roofrack, the ballast in the boot......golf trolley battery at 25 lbs, and the s/structure in the back seat.  SWMBO had to squeeze in somehow....I used to take it to Ellesmere boat show and the topbox looked a bit like a coffin at 60 by 20 by 20 inches.  You should have seen other drivers' faces..........Oh, and the tie-down straps sounded like a banshee at anything over 20mph.
Happy days.....................       

turner

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 09:22:44 am »

Fortunately the Cortina is starting to look a bit more ship shape. All ribs now cut to size and hold space determined. Currently working on mounting block for Kort Nozzles and the route into the hull for the Prop Shafts.

Question :- Is it acceptable to have the propshafts narrowing together as they enter the hull?

Comments appreciated

David

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 04:32:54 am »

for cutting thin planks, how about a Balsa Stripper by Master Airscrew...

8)

hobbyman

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 07:32:15 am »

Hi Turner
When i built my tug, i cut the planks from cedar,planed to 10mil then cut planks 3mill with a bandsaw ,the slight roughness you get will be sanded out when you clean the hull up ,it worked ok for me ,building something the size you are doing would probably benefit from planks that thickness too.
    chris

turner

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 11:32:30 am »

Thanks Umi & Chris

Have considered Balsa but am worried that its not very strong, with my collection of Mahogany - I think I have enough to cover the hull and the flybridge deck.

3mm sounds about right and still fairly flexible.  Will start to experiment.

turner

• Shipmate
Re: Burutu - no longer a Cortina
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »

Making more progress - however slow - cutting planks worked OK with a thin bladed circular saw - guess I have enough planks for two of these beasts.
Tried  using straight pins then pushpins to secure the planks whilst glue dries but both split the planks - dad suggested I drill and pin each one - perhaps he wanted to keep me out of the way - much to the annoyance of SWMBO - but hey It worked.

Do you know how much variance there is in the diameter of cocktail sticks - its disgraceful.

Suspect it would have been much easier to part install the bow and stern thrusters - apply planks and then drill through and open up will try to remember next time.

David

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 06:11:37 pm »

Can any settle my curiosity, I've allways wondered since the 80's if these two vessels are sisterships to the Flying Phantom recently lost in the Clyde, they at least have to be from the same designers board.
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

Stretch

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 10:26:52 pm »

looks like the same plans I have had for 20 years or so , glad you did something productive with yours ...

any updated pics  ???

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 12:03:52 am »

Turner......you can always take solace in that the planking construction was achieved in the olde world shipbuilding format using......

tree·nail or tre·nail (trnl, trnl, trnl) also trun·nel (trnl) - A wooden peg that swells when wet and is used to fasten timbers, especially in shipbuilding.

Were you using a PVA glue? ........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 08:24:08 am »

David has not been on Mayhem since July 2009 unfortunately.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Channel

• Full Mayhemer
    • Channel Images
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 10:18:44 pm »

Can any settle my curiosity, I've allways wondered since the 80's if these two vessels are sisterships to the Flying Phantom recently lost in the Clyde, they at least have to be from the same designers board.

More a sister to Flying Childers I think Andy. Quite a few of similar design around - usually connected to Clyde Shipping Co. There was a near sister in Swansea once - I was AB on her called Shireen S.
Follow my blog - www.channelimages.com

Stretch

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 08:00:52 pm »

More a sister to Flying Childers I think Andy. Quite a few of similar design around - usually connected to Clyde Shipping Co. There was a near sister in Swansea once - I was AB on her called Shireen S.

Plans I have say Burutu / Bajima on them .... figured they were sister ships .....

Channel

• Full Mayhemer
    • Channel Images
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 11:04:48 pm »

Plans I have say Burutu / Bajima on them .... figured they were sister ships .....

Indeed they are, two peas from the pod so to speak!

There are a number of very similar tugs around built with the same hull lines. I would imagine these were the best of them being twin screw. The single scre sister I worked aboard didn't handle well at all and she was one with out the FiFi mast.
Follow my blog - www.channelimages.com

turner

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 08:35:29 pm »

Its nearly seven years since I started this post  %%

Recently got Burutu down from the roof of the garage to do a bit more, the planking had been finished and the nozzles and props fitted since the last photo session.

This time I've removed the plumbing and made space for some "bought" thrusters - I have two motors and home made reduction gearboxes and holes in the hull where I'm about to fit the anchor boxes - (I'm sure there must be a technical term for them)

When they are in, I am intending to glassfibre the insides for strength, waterproofing and to add a bit of all over mass to help achieve the displacement.  I have been playing with 3D cad and 3d printing and had a custom motor mount printed - which would have been perfect if I had measured the space for it all to fit more accurately !

will try to keep up to date with photos to show progress - see if I can get it finished in less than another seven years....

David 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.