Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Games - One for the Aussies  (Read 3685 times)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
The Games - One for the Aussies
« on: August 02, 2014, 10:45:17 pm »

Is it true that the ABC will only televise a Commonwealth Games medal ceremony if it involves an Australian and then only if it is an Australian winning a gold medal?  If so, is this Oz tight-fistedness or sour grapes or something more sinister? 

Barry M

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Games - One for the Aussies
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 10:58:40 pm »

BarryM....we certainly have not heard of such a story/statement/plan

The media will write a story if they think it will get headlines....collectively a cr*p bunch .......<*<

About the biggest story over here was the sacking & deporting of the OZ head coach for his verbal spit on one of our female athletes

Having said this...we in OZ should be very proud of our medal win  O0 on a per head of population basis.....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 08:30:43 am »

Derek,
I didn't get the story from the Oz media but from some of your compatriots who are usually quick to defend Oz-land.
Regards,
Barry M

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 01:07:09 am »

Channel 10 have the broadcast rights for the games, and the only coverage the ABC would have would be news items. I have not heard any comment about the ABC only showing Aussie gold medal ceremonies. The commercial channels have been televising major sporting events for years, simply because the ABC can not match the obscene amounts of money the commercials seem to be able to afford. I suppose that's because the advertising revenue generated by such events is so high, and we, the viewing public, have to endure endless TV ads if we want to watch.

I am old enough to remember the "good old days", when the ad-free ABC used to televise test match Rugby and cricket, as well as the Olympic and Commonwealth Games. What Australian of a certain age will ever forget commentator Norman "Nugget" May's famous "GOLD, GOLD for Australia" call in the men's 4x100 Medley Relay final at the 1980 Moscow Olympics. The recording of that call has been added to National Film and Sound Archive's Sounds of Australia collection in Canberra.

Peter.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 01:09:04 pm »

Peter,
I assumed ABC was the (alleged) culprit but perhaps it's Channel 10?

'Norman May' means nothing to me but I was interested to hear about the 'Sounds of Australia' collection. Is it true that before "Gold, Gold...", it consisted solely of "Mine's a Foster and he's paying"?  %) :P
Barry M

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 02:38:57 pm »

Norman "Nugget" May's famous "GOLD, GOLD for Australia" call in the men's 4x100 Medley Relay final at the 1980 Moscow Olympics. The recording of that call has been added to National Film and Sound Archive's Sounds of Australia collection in Canberra.

Peter.

I have heard that and it is up there with the best vintage commentaries but nothing will ever surpass Barry Davies commentary from the Seoul Olympics as the third goal went in against Germany in the Mens Hockey final.

'SHERWANI..................Where oh where were the germans.................but frankly who cares............'

He was rebuked by the BBC and reminded that the BBC were supposed to be non partisan.

Overall these games have been enjoyable to watch at times with some good moment.  Diving brought me my  favourite moments even though I haven't watched it before very much, if at all.  The young English Diver made me do a double take - allegedly he is 14 but he genuinely looked like all of ten years old to me. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonwealth-games/28624896

And he just goes and gets 9.5 from some judges off the 10 m Board!  Brave lad as well as talented.

And whilst I wouldn't normally laugh at misfortune.......

The Aussie diver scoring 0 for a back flop

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonwealth-games/28583313

But apparently you get a higher score if you land on your face....the Malaysian lad scored a 1 for this effort.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonwealth-games/28562556

Bet both of those stung..
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 08:31:41 pm »

As someone who has coached diving, when something goes wrong from a 10 mete board it does more than sting it dam hurts, it can even be fatal. The chance of injury in that sport from any height is very high, my daughter has a damaged back from a failed 5 metre dive, two damaged vertebrate which move and impact on the spinal nerve occasionally.
The impact of the body onto water from 10 metres is about 30 - 35 mph, sting does not even come close
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 08:50:45 pm »

Good job those dives were from the lower boards then.  As I said that lad is very brave.
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 12:41:41 am »

Barry M, the Sounds of Australia would probably mean nothing to a non-Australian, but to a real Aussie they are priceless. They include such gems as the Aeroplane Jelly song as well as the Vegemite song, both icons of Australian culture O0 . Another classic is the "Football, meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars" song, used in Holden car ads some years back. I have been to the Film and Sound Archive in Canberra on several occasions, and it is a real nostalgia trip for a true blue Aussie like me :-) , especially one born before WW2, as I was {:-{ .

Peter.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 08:15:34 am »

"Football, meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars"!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's life, Jim - but not as we know it.  :o :o

Is there an association between the pies and kangaroos?

Regards,
Barry M

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 08:34:14 am »

Sounds of Australia to me evokes the other voices of Barry Humphries (other than her Maj Dame Edna and the Cultural hic Attache). Memories of drinking a pint of Gestetner fluid at the office Xmas party. Stories of the Victa et al. My favourite though , Kevin 'blinking!' Wilson. My young daughter taking the tape to primary school for show and tell and educating small rural village community in Wales what you can't say in Canada!!!
Jerry.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 08:40:20 am »

Channel 10 have the broadcast rights for the games, and the only coverage the ABC would have would be news items. I have not heard any comment about the ABC only showing Aussie gold medal ceremonies. The commercial channels have been televising major sporting events for years, simply because the ABC can not match the obscene amounts of money the commercials seem to be able to afford. I suppose that's because the advertising revenue generated by such events is so high, and we, the viewing public, have to endure endless TV ads if we want to watch.

I am old enough to remember the "good old days", when the ad-free ABC used to televise test match Rugby and cricket, as well as the Olympic and Commonwealth Games. What Australian of a certain age will ever forget commentator Norman "Nugget" May's famous "GOLD, GOLD for Australia" call in the men's 4x100 Medley Relay final at the 1980 Moscow Olympics. The recording of that call has been added to National Film and Sound Archive's Sounds of Australia collection in Canberra.

Peter.

Peter,

You are not alone  :-)) :-))

Gunna build those other boats one day.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 08:51:46 am »

As someone who has coached diving, when something goes wrong from a 10 mete board it does more than sting it dam hurts, it can even be fatal. The chance of injury in that sport from any height is very high, my daughter has a damaged back from a failed 5 metre dive, two damaged vertebrate which move and impact on the spinal nerve occasionally.
The impact of the body onto water from 10 metres is about 30 - 35 mph, sting does not even come close

Absolutely correct.
Recall in my youth when I was bullet proof, climbing a high triple diving tower at popular Sydney beach, only to lose my nerve due to the height.
Looooooooooooooooooong way down.
After much goading went of feet first, my goodness, whoever said water is soft is crazy, hit the bottom, thought I would never come back up.
Edge of the pool was high enough after that stunt.

Gunna build those other boats one day.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 12:00:28 am »

Is there an association between the pies and kangaroos?

Only if the Holden car hits the roo on an outback road and the local pie maker is close behind {-) %%

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 12:29:15 am »

Just a few clarifications....... :embarrassed: ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.