Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cabin Cruiser of some distinction.  (Read 5997 times)

pete-k

• Full Mayhemer
  • Dreaming big, building . . . well, trying to
Cabin Cruiser of some distinction.
« on: August 07, 2014, 10:26:00 pm »

So guys, you've all made me so welcome and enthusiastic for this hobby that I have decided to go full geek (or as far as i can possibly go for a first build). I have decided to design and build a small cabin cruiser type thing, not fully sure on size as of yet, but roughly 0.75m in length. And as of this second I have just realised my scaling is all wrong and I have managed to design it at 1.5m long  {:-{ . I shall remedy this at a later point, and just work it out to be HUGE for now.

My design process is a bit rough for now, starting with some simple virtual prototyping on the PC using Solid-works which some of you may be familiar with. I have been taught basics at university, but hopefully i will learn much more along the way. I then plan to try some models using various materials, most likely cardboard, foam-board, balsa wood, sheet plastic, and eventually develop onto a final material. I am unsure whether I will have access to the machinery just yet, but there is a chance I could vacuum form it if i make a mould.

For now, I am going to design it to be simple, with just a single motor which can be turned on and off by a switch, so I can use it on my own pond which is quite small, but when pennies allow it, I may upgrade to an RC system. With any luck I will be able to manufacture some of the parts myself using the machinery available at university.

I'm really excited for this project, which will probably end up spanning until next summer as I have a dissertation to keep me away from the fun things in life, but I hope to keep this thread updated as and when I work on it. I still have a huge amount of work to do on the caldercraft NorthLight so thats another one, as well as several small model planes and other airfix things. I am just glad I finally get to do all the fun things I wanted to do as a kid, the excitement is brilliant.

I'm doing my ranting thing again, I'll shut up for now, and leave you with a picture of the first stages of drawing out the hull. If anybody has any advice to give me, go ahead, learning is what I'm here for  %%

Cheers guys, Pete  :-))
Learning as I go !

pete-k

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cabin Cruiser of some distinction.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 04:15:37 pm »

Bit more work done today, the hull needed slight re-forming, as some of my measurements were off, but I have managed to make it slightly better. The bows needed a more curved profile, so I added an extra step and into the plan, adding a few more reference planes. I still don't know my way around the software that well but hopefully it will become apparent soon. Next step is to fill in the sides, and that will mean adding even more reference planes at angles other than 90* which may cause a slight problem, but I'm sure I can manage it with a little help. My student software runs out in 21 days, so i may not be able to do any work until I get a new code from my uni in September, but hopefully I will get some more done before then.

If anybody has used this software or any others and could give me hints and tips that would be great

Cheers everybody, Pete  :-))

Learning as I go !

pete-k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 05:27:33 pm »

Another update, I have worked out a lot of the reference plane work, and managed to get all the solid lines made. Now I have an issue where I cannot convert the lines and outlines into a solid object unfotunately, but I am seeking advice currently. Fingers crossed I will get it sorted  :-)
Learning as I go !

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 08:44:20 am »

Have you tried using delft ship? There is a tutorial on here. And its free :-))
Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

pete-k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 10:58:00 am »

Never heard of it but I'll have a bash at it  :-)) , cheers.
Learning as I go !

Tim_M

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 12:42:36 pm »

Pete, I suggest you  do your Solidworks the other way round. Start by making a solid object that is the shape of the boat you want to end up with. You can either build up features as you go or carve features out of a solid block. Once you are happy with the shape, you can take slices to generate the frames directly. This has worked for me in the past (see my Bluebird frame design) and it's very easy. Get Solidworks to AID you, don't be a slave to 2D construction. Not sure who taught you to use it that way  :}
It's knowing what I don't know that makes me cleverer than I am :-)

pete-k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 11:24:10 pm »

Well, after starting all this work, university ramped up and took over my life. I've since graduated and started work at a shipyard in south west Cumbria :) now that I've got a job, and a few more pennies in my pocket, I'm going to start back on these projects. Instead of modelling in solid works I'm going to go back to basics, simply because CAD is expensive when there's no university software deals! I'll mock up some hull frames with card and see how they look, hopefully I'll achieve a hull shape I like, and then I can replicate it in wood before fitting deck and superstructure possibly carved out of expanding foam. It may take a slightly different direction and become a flat bottomed barge, or possibly a canal boat. I'm also toying with the idea of making a boat with working fishing reel, just for a bit of summer fun on the lake, see if I can catch a few little perch in the marinas. I'll try to keep this updated, although it may take me some time to get anywhere!
Learning as I go !

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 05:31:57 am »

Cad isn't dear .About 8 or 9 quid from any computer outlet   

Kipper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bodgitts Dry Dock Co.
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 12:37:27 am »

Or you could give Blender a try, it's free & is used by a lot of 3D railway modellers  :-)
https://www.blender.org/
Im gonna need a bigger shed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.