Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound and lights contollers  (Read 5265 times)

Captain Povey

Sound and lights contollers
« on: July 12, 2007, 03:51:00 pm »

Has anybody any experience with Hunter Systems equipment and in particular their sound module and light switch devices. :)

DaveB

Re: Sound and lights contollers
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 06:44:23 pm »

Have'nt tried the Hunter switchers but i would happily reccommend the Electronize ones
Dave

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 07:06:42 pm »

I would reccomend teh Action sound system the foghorn is hte dogs dangly bits so to speak,but use teh largest speaker available,I can hear the happy Hunters fog horn from over 50 yds away !!! Stavros

Captain Povey

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 08:16:31 pm »

Hi Thanks for your input I will have look at both, Hunters seem a bit difficult to communicate with by phone email seems ok Unlike many other I see on another thread. Cheers Graham.  :)

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 08:24:35 pm »

I too recomend the Action equipment. Excellent value for money and Fullmetaljacket will give you all the help and advice you need. Very fast delivery.

Daryl

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 02:25:24 am »

Daryl,

Sorry mate but Daves handle is (Full leather Jacket) not "metal"

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Captain Povey

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 07:15:41 am »

Hi Roy and Daryl. An interesting slip there from 'leather jacket', which in my world of agriculture is that long legged insect to metal jacket which in my other hobby of shooting is a type of bullet. Or as usual I could be completely wrong and the full leather jacket refers to a slightly overweight motor cyclist. Perhaps Dave will enlighten us. On the subect of switches it seems that both recommended suppliers eqiupment uses the existing radio spare channel to initiate the switching whereas the Hunter stuff is completely independant and uses a car type key fob to send a signal to initiate the switching. This would seem to me to some advantages but I wonder about the range and they do not look to be in waterproof cases. However the big price to pay for this independance is in the price! Cheers Graham.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 08:06:58 am »

Hi Guys
I have absolutley no idea why I got this handle. It was allocated by Hisself Mr Martin Davies Saah, although he's of the opinion that it was my idea. I've never owned a motor-cycle in my life, so it wasn't that. Maybe he remembered taking a picture of me at the Warwick show when I was wearing a black leather jacket? We shall never know what goes on in that pretty little head....
On the subject of switchers, I've not yet had a look at Hunter Systems' website so I can't comment, but I had a couple of his mixers a long time ago and they worked fine. We met Cherry Shepherd at the Weymouth show and she seems like a very nice lady, so maybe some good did come out of the trip. Graham was clearly busy on their stall - maybe next time?
The ACTion switchers indeed do work from a spare receiver channel, and range from a tiny 300mA unit to one which will switch up to four different circuits from one channel. Incidentally we've tracked down a new source of 3A relays (thanks, Wombat) so there will be details of this on our website. Meanwhile the three relay switchers will be available in either 1A or 3A versions.
TTFN
FLJ  8)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 09:23:01 am »

Actually, I think there was a mistake in translation - it should really have been Foul Weather Jacket... ;)

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 11:28:19 am »

One of these "gentelmen" is FLJ 
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Captain Povey

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 11:35:16 am »

Hi Dave, I hope I did not offend you with my references to insects and motor cyclists its just my strange sense of humour (lets blame Martin for the name as everbody seems to blame him for everthing). So to get to the nitty gritty of it I currently have the Smitt Nederland that I am refurbishing and have fitted it with two motors each with an Mtroniks marine viper speed controller. I picked up a 4 channel Hi Tech Laser 4 channel radio at the Mayhem weekend and use channel 1 for the rudder(s), channel 2  for the starboard motor, channel 3 for the port motor and on channel 4 I have lashed together a lever operated micro switch over a servo and set it so that by moving the channel 4 trim switch it turns on a spotlight. Flushed with success I decided I wanted to go further and I want to add sound and cabin lights so from what I have read of the Action stuff I can get rid of the servo lash up on Channel 4 and connect the channel 4 output to a 4 channel switch from which I can control the lights, the sound, and the spotlight. I do not see how this works however all off one lever. Do you go through a sequence of movements to operate the individual switching functions or what? Some advice from your extensive experience would be appreciated. Incidentally I also picked up at the Mayhem weekend an original set of plans for the Fairey Swordsman issued with Model boats issue 582 designed by Dave Mibourn. I was wondering if there is a connection? Cheers Graham

Captain Povey

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 11:37:02 am »

Hi Martin, Could it be the one one left? ;) Cheers Graham

Captain Povey

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 11:46:11 am »

Hi Dave, Sorry me again. In all that ramble I forgot to mention that the motors run off a 12v Lead acid battery the radio off a Ni Cad pack and I hav ejust fitted a 6v battery for lights etc. Cheers Graham

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 12:17:57 pm »

Hi Martin, Could it be the one one left? ;) Cheers Graham
Correct! The doe-eyed wanton on the right is Sir Lawrence White; co-proprietor of The Model Slipway. Yours truly has since acceeded to threats from his wife, two grand-daughters and daughter-in-law to remove the grey stuff round the lower face. I look almost as lovely as Lawrie now....... and yes - there's that leather jacket.
Ref Quadswitch - if you PM me your E-Mail address I'll send you a copy of the instructions and diagram - that explains it better than me rambling on here and boring the bits off everyone who isn't that interested.
Ref Swordsman plans - guilty as charged.
FLJ (or FWJ for the purists among you...... c'mon, Bish - lighten up, dude!)  8)

Captain Povey

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 12:37:27 pm »

Hi Dave, Thanks for the offer of info I will pm you my email address. If you interested and if it doesn't infringe any copyright stuff I could try to copy these plans and send them to you for your archives or is that a piece of history you want to leave behind. Cheers Graham

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 12:45:00 pm »

Ive got to come in here and make a comment  ;D  I thought I was on the wrong Forum when I saw the picture here of FLJ in particular, I thought I was on an Ornithology site for bird twitchers  ;D ;D doesnt half remind me of Bill Oddy.

;D ;D ;D

To get to the serious stuff, Capt Povey, you have a HiTech 4 transmitter receiver: There are several options to you to make full use of your transmitter and receiver.   Please bear in mind, these are just options which you can use.

You could have your two motors controlled from one stick, plus, your rudders on another stick, leaving the two further channels free for more accessories, e.g. 2 switching modules.  The way you go around this is incorporate a mixing unit before your 2 speed controllers.  Where your 2 speed controllers plug directly into this mixing unit plus your rudder servo plugs into the mixer.  The 2 leads coming from the mixing unit plug into your RX receiver, one into the channel you are going to use for the throttles and the other into the channel that you are going to use for the rudder.  This doesnt give total independent control of motors, but, it does give you a function where if you turn to port with your rudder, it slows 1 motor down and increases the speed of the opposite motor, giving a far tighter turning circle.  Also, you can actually turn the model on the spot with a little practice using the throttle and rudder stick.      

This has left you with 2 free channels on your receiver, where you can plug in a mixing module.   There are several types of mixer:-

Electronize which I have used, they do two types; 2 switching unit and a 4 switching unit.  The 2 switching unit and the 4 switching which this Company supply are known as 'Non-latching' What the 2 switcher unit can handle, I think is 4 amps - input and output across the swithes.    The switcher unit with the 4 switching units can only handle 1 amp per unit.

We now go on to another Company, ACTion, who do 2 more switching units.     The 2 units they do are what are known as 'latching switcher units' and, if memory serves me right, the smaller latching unit (2 switches) can be made to be non-latching.  The 4 switching unit is permanently latched at least the one I built is.

A quick description:

Latching and Non-latching

Latching - as you move your control stick on the receiver to say, left position, it switches on the relay which energises (for arguments sake) your navigation lights.    The lights will stay on, and this will remain latched until you move that stick back to the centre and back to the position where you had first moved it to.   This de-energises and un-latches the switch.

Non-Latching - Moving your control stick to the left switches the relay on.  Your lights come on and as soon as you release/move your control stick to any other position, the lights will go off and the relay will de-energise.   This is just a very quick description of how the switching mechanism works.    If you go on to the Electronics Topics on this Forum, you will see I have build 1 mixer unit from a kit - plus I have also built 1 switcher unit from a kit.    I have also given a short description of how the latching relay works on there.  

Hope this is of some help. by that picture of FullLeatherJacket eeeeeeeeeeeeee my word ;D ;D ;D

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Captain Povey

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 04:19:56 pm »

Hello John, Thanks very much for that very informed piece it is certainly very useful. I think at an early stage of adding power to this model I had decided to go for the two independently controlled motors. However, if I find I cant steer it set up like this then I have the option of the mixer. Thanks also for clarifying  latching and non latching I think I would prefer latching in these applications. Cheers Graham

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 04:45:50 pm »

Graham
E-mail will be on its way by close of play today. How's Ramona these days? Incidentally, John Elsy made his first million as a double for Alfred E Newman of Mad Magazine......... and I'm at least a foot taller than Bloddie.
FLJ   8)     "Left hand down a bit" it is, sir!

Captain Povey

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 05:09:19 pm »

Hi Dave, I will keep an eye out for the email. Ramona is is fine fettle at the moment but will probably kill me for referring to her as Ramona. Unfortunately Troutbridge is an a sorry state needs a refit and her bottom scrapped. I am sure you are nothing like Oddyman as I think he would sink all model boats for disturbing his water fowl. Mind you his blond assistant could toot my hooter any time. Sorry Moderator for going off course there but I just looked out the window and it is horrible. Ah well if the post office gets back to work I might be able to fit some lights tomorrow. Unfortunately the new hedge cutter was delivered by courier so if it turns fine its bad news. How come things come out the wrong way round? Cheers Graham

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 07:28:27 pm »

ah but Mr Jacket Please take note, for me to be a double of Alfred E Newman - I would need a hair transplant better than Sir Elton John's, I would need a different hair colour, also I would need the best dentist in the world.....whereas Alfred has one tooth missing from his front teeth, I have one tooth and the rest are missing  ;D

Whereas the picture below, the resemblance between you and the said Mr Oddie, the Onthropologist, is Mr Oddie would have to stand on a bird box to be of equal height or you would have to take your winkle picker shoes off - see for your goodself.

aye says I
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 07:32:57 pm »

Graham
E-mail will be on its way by close of play today. How's Ramona these days? Incidentally, John Elsy made his first million as a double for Alfred E Newman of Mad Magazine......... and I'm at least a foot taller than Bloddie.
FLJ   8)     "Left hand down a bit" it is, sir!
You'll be discussing shopping at Tesco and tea on Thursday next :D ;D >:( :( ;D ;D ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.