Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 SMART PHONE  (Read 4691 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 SMART PHONE
« on: August 13, 2014, 02:56:23 pm »

Hi folks..........please don't take this the wrong way and accuse me of being ignorant to others......but am not interested in any answers from people having the problem with other phones but................

has anyone had trouble with the screen cracking under extreme heat with a    SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 SMART PHONE.........

I have read on the net that people all over the world are having this problem with their S4 smart phone.......and whilst on holiday my daughter left her phone in the car and it was b****y hot when we got back........when she picked it up the screen was cracked..............

Samsung say it was an accident that caused it...........I am saying that it is a design fault or at least something that should be noted in the scant instructions that you get, ..............they also say I have to pay their price and their technicians 200 sobs inc vat to have it repaired before they repair the rest of it, because the technicians are scared of cutting their little pinkies on the glass...........and if I take it to a local shop to have it repaired at 60 quid cheaper, it will nullify their warranty on the phone..............got me all ways......

so actually searching for as much evidence as possible that it is an inherent fault with THIS PARTICULAR PHONE  and then can go to trading standards and BBC Watchdog about their monopoly on repairs.

Please again, no other phones, as I want to print this thread as well as all the others I've found on the web about this apparent common problem.

Thanks all.

neil.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 SMART PHONE
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 05:30:53 pm »

in addition to the first post, have since been onto Citizens advice and Trading Standards, and they both have said that they are fully aware that this is going on with all smart phone manufacturers but the sad problem is that they can't prove it because of the nature of the glass screen and as such the phone companies cover them selves with a caveat that they consider any crack in a screen to be of "accidental usage" and as such isn't covered by ANY warranty..........even though they fail regularly in heat conditions like being left in a car on a hot sunny day with the charger plugged in..........

the big boys win again. .

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 10:02:31 pm »

You also wont get very far with the old iphone 3gs battery inflating, breaking the back of the phone and even setting on fire! happened to mine.

have a s4 myself, at 2 months old, it switched off and never came on again, losing loads of pics of my daughter. Sent it away, they fixed it. A year on problems again - reception for one (my partner has the same phone albeit hers is around 3 months younger, she gets 4g and i dont, I have a G and she has H+.....   theres also an echo developed aswell, or so people say who i call....

<*<

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 11:54:22 pm »

[as posted on Paddleducks 14.08.2014 @ 0823]
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Morning Neil........this is certainly not unique with your family......my 34 year old daughter in Sydney has had two S4 screen replacements in six months.....

1. The first was replaced under warranty
2. She has paid for the second replacement, however is still in dispute with SAMSUNG Australia over this incident
3. I understand this second incident has been referred to our Department of Fair Trading

You are correct......there is certainly a huge world wide ground swell of complaints re this issue on the WEB

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 05:52:42 pm »

I got a new S4 company phone last Tuesday. It fell 14" to the ground from my car seat and it has a crack in it!!! {:-{  Another engineer on our company did the same thing with his phone. So yes the glass seems to be a pile of poo!
I have a I bone 4 with a rino case and its just about a year old and the phone is just like new. the case has been battered but thats what its there for.
Oh and by the way I think the S4 is not a patch on a Ibone it the way it operates. But that maybe because im now on my second Ibone and I understand what to do with it ? who knows?

Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 12:46:35 am »

Neil, you should be able to see if the s4 is hardened glass here http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/products-with-gorilla
I have launched my laptop half way across a room more than once but had followed build quality comments from someone here before making an expensive purchase.(Ta Tim!)

My course of action would be avoid a war and buy a new screen from Ebay
I have a local spare stockist http://www.duocai.co.uk/ .
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 01:06:20 am »

My son-in-law has a Samsung Galaxy S4 and as far as I know he's had no problems with it - yet. They live in central Queensland where 40 plus degree temperatures are quite common, so I'll have to warn him not to leave the phone in his car. Thanks for the heads up, Neil, and I hope your daughter gets hers sorted.

Peter.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 06:49:51 am »

We get have lots of cracked and broken screen issues at work with galaxy S4s, more so than the other brands we use.... We just put it down to lack of care on the users side. A couple of people have said "it just cracked by itself" but when you hear some of the stories about how something got damaged we get, one tends to take these with a pinch of salt.
I will raise this with the guys at work and see if we can get more info
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 08:05:32 am »

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Galaxy+S4+Cracked+Front+Glass+Replacement/21843

Around £35 for a repair and less than £10 for the kit.

I'm not trying to influence you either way but morphy richards travel hair dryers are as good as a heat gun on low setting.  ok2
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 08:14:44 am »

I have had a Samsung Galaxy for some time.  Although the larger Note II version I was immediately struck as to the potential vulnerability of the very large screen so I bought a case with it, and had a protective screen cover fitted. No problems since.
Coming from an engineering background I mourn the demise of the Form Follows Function principle.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

inertia

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 09:16:09 am »

I can't seem to find the screen on my mobile....

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 09:40:18 am »

thanks for all your comments guys.........and very interesting to know that over in the  Norway/sweeden countries, they even crack at low temperatures as well.

any more comments would be gratefully appreciated before I send this off.

I am now going to compile a dossier with all comments (names deleted of course) and submit this to BBC watchdog and Trading Standards..........think they might like to look at it.

neil.

inertia

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 01:01:58 pm »

I can hear Samsung trembling already, Neil.......................  8)  Good luck with this; you'll need it - even to get an acknowledgement.
DM

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 07:21:52 pm »

thanks for all your comments guys.........and very interesting to know that over in the  Norway/sweeden countries, they even crack at low temperatures as well.

any more comments would be gratefully appreciated before I send this off.

I am now going to compile a dossier with all comments (names deleated of course) and submit this to BBC watchdog and Trading Standards..........think they might like to look at it.

neil.

You can use my comments Neil with pleasure.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 07:23:03 pm »

I can't seem to find the screen on my mobile....

Where do you stick that Dave? {-) {-) {-)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 07:36:17 pm »

Where do you stick that Dave? {-) {-) {-)

New version of the NOISY thing :embarrassed:

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 08:00:48 pm »

New version of the NOISY thing :embarrassed:

Ned

Now why didn't i think of that??? {-)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.