Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairmile C 1:24 Scale  (Read 12155 times)

Oldishseadog

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Fairmile C 1:24 Scale
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2019, 03:31:09 pm »

And some more pix ... some out of sequence

OSD

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2019, 08:27:26 pm »

That is a mighty complex set of brass Chinese nail retention & extraction tools there OSD,  <*<  ..........your own design?...the diagonal planking is also exceptional  :-))

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2019, 01:28:30 pm »

HI Derek instresing build an four motors an sharfts that's what im fittin in on my tiger build but back to yours I gather this is meant to get up an go please keep pics comin
chris

Oldishseadog

• Shipmate
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2019, 08:11:43 pm »

That is a mighty complex set of brass Chinese nail retention & extraction tools there OSD,  <*<  ..........your own design?...the diagonal planking is also exceptional  :-))

Derek

Hi Derek, - brass bar clamps (Japanese!) on the keel with some home-made gizmos on them with M3 stud to give some screw-down pressure on the planks while the glue takes. Fiddly but effective, however v slow as only can do 1 plank at a time.
OSD

thenextbest1

• Shipmate
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2021, 08:42:02 am »

Hi really great build so far - just wondering if it moved to another thread or sank into the covid mire ?? -cheers Pete

Oldishseadog

• Shipmate
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2021, 02:52:31 pm »

Hi really great build so far - just wondering if it moved to another thread or sank into the covid mire ?? -cheers Pete
Well Pete, you have shamed me into putting out an update; the work is still in progress – thanks for your interest in the build.
 May 2021

Both layers of diagonals have now been done, completed earlier this year. The prop shafts were soldered into the fixed sterntubes after the first diagonal layer.  One problem I found with the diagonals was that with the compound curves of the hull the true diagonal (in my case 45 degrees to the waterline on the topsides) tended to drift and every so often it had to be corrected with tapered planks.  On the final layer (6 x 0.5 mm limewood) I decided to do the planks in groups of 4 with every 5th plank spiled to fit.  Fiddly but it kept the true angle.  Another thing working with 0.5 mm strip – when the glue was applied the edges tended to curl with the moisture so holding it down flat while the glue dried also proved to be necessary. One plank at a time – hence the reason for more than a year to complete!! (The three layers of planking on the hull have consumed approximately 280 linear metres of stripwood).

The stem was trimmed back and built up with laminated mahogany strips – I was actually quite surprised and pleased at how well it turned out!  In the photo the pencil marks show where the cocktail stick tree nails were positioned as the laminations were built up – 10 layers in total at its deepest.

Another departure from original plans – the deep deadwood of the aft keel has been cropped off by an inch or so (not having a centreline prop-shaft has its compenations); hopefully longitudinal stability wont be affected but it will offer less resistance to turning so perhaps manoeuvreability will be enhanced.  I understand the actual F Cs could be a b***h to handle because of the deep deadwood aft.

Cheek plates have been added to each side of the keel, partly to provide a better seal for the diagonal planking along the garboard strake and partly to bring the keel closer to scale thickness.  A mahogany strip rubbing strake has been fitted along the length of the keel bottom.

Once all the hull planking was completed I trimmed the topside planks back to the sheer strake in preparation for applying the deck. Decided to skin overall with thin ply and then diagonal-plank (single layer only) as with the original craft (see – I can stick to plans!).  I used 1/64 ply pegged in place with trusty cocktail sticks – I drew all the deck supporting members onto the ply so I knew where to pin, as well as regular 45 degree diagonals to aid with the planking.  In hindsight I wish that I had (i) spent more time sanding/fairing the various deck beams for the camber and ii) used thicker ply for skinning – the 1/64 took the compound curves of the deck sheer and camber easily but tends to flatten out on the camber between supporting beams; I think 1/32 sheet may have kept the curve of the camber better.  Oh well, I'll know for next time.

Plinths for the armaments, deckhouse, deck hatches and other penetrations were applied once the deck was skinned, on the theory that I would plank up to them and not continuously through them.

And that is more or less where I am at the moment – planking the deck with black-card simulated caulking between each diagonal.  I am using 1.5 x 5 mm lime stripwood (and yet another pot of Titebond III) which seems to be working well although a lot of sanding will be required to smooth it all out upon completion.

Bearing in mind the whole centre-section of the deck lifts out for access to inside, it means that an individual diagonal of planking on deck can have up to 5 or 6 individual sections, all trying to keep to accurate alignment and to the diagonal.  This has been a time-consuming challenge – a single run can take a couple of days to complete given the accuracy needed to butt-up against various plinths (some of which are circular) and glue-drying time for each section (and other aspects of life intruding...)

Some decisions just continue to haunt!  Hopefully it will be worth it at the end.

I have completed designing the individual components that will go together to make up the deckhouse; these are still only drawings and I have not yet cut wood for them but I may do at some point soon even if it is just to have a break from planking!

Just as a general remark/question to any that have bothered to read this far – the John Lambert plans on 3 sheets that I am basing this build on shows that the port and starboard sides of the enclosed wheelhouse (not the open bridge) appear to angle in towards the roof panels from roughly half-height of the structure.  All the photos of Fairmile Cs that I have examined show the deckhouse to be vertically-sided along its full length.  Does anybody out there have any thoughts/insider knowledge on where this discrepancy by John Lambert might have originated?  Needless to say as I am a stickler for plans (!) my wheelhouse will have angled sides!

And that is the story to date.  Photos follow.  Thanks for any interest in this build.  Stay safe all.

OSD

Oldishseadog

• Shipmate
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2021, 02:54:01 pm »

More pics.OSD

MartinC

• Shipmate
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2021, 08:59:45 pm »

Amazing work, love your attention to detail.

Martin

Oldishseadog

• Shipmate
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2022, 12:41:00 pm »

Autumn 2022

And at long last I can declare the hull structurally complete!
 The deck has been fully planked and the deck edge trimmed back to give a clean line to stick the gun'l rubbing strake to. The chine rubbing strake has been attached and faired. Port holes have been fitted port and starboard and the engine exhaust penetrations fabricated and stuck in.
The propshaft A-frames have been aligned and stuck in (my thanks to steve@modelboatbits for the bespoke frames and a couple of odd-length shafts). A-frames were  initially tacked in place from the outside with a hot-glue gun and then liberally epoxied internally to secure in place.  The hot-glue was subsequently dug out and more epoxy applied from the outside.  The hull penetrations were finally reinforced and then faired with milliput.
The stem shoe was moulded from more milliput, epoxied in place and once hardened, faired and thinned to what looks about right.  The hull has been given a single coat of sand and seal but this now needs rubbing back.
 The deck planking has been textured by scrubbing it with a wire brush and afterwards staining/weathering the wood to rather satisfying shades of silver-grey by a mix involving strong tea and a solution of steel wool dissolved in white vinegar (which I am sure I read about somewhere on this fine forum). It took a bit of trial and error to get the dilution right, a good job I have loads of spare timber lying around.  The stained deck has still to be rubbed down and sealed, which is one of the next jobs on the list.
 The engine room deck hatch details have been completed as well as the aft ammunition hatch – thanks to Prime Miniatures for lots of M1 nuts, bolts and washers!
 I finally got round to finishing off the design of the deckhouse and the main structure of it has been cut and stuck. The ply sheet has been sheathed in mahogany strip around the outside for a bit of perceived realism.  Internal details, wind break, railings and other fixtures and fittings have still to be done.  Currently pondering how best to emulate the Kent Clearview screens on the forward windows of the wheelhouse.
 The rudders, running hardware and electrics have still got to be installed but I want to get a couple of coats of paint on the hull before I do that, once I have decided on the colour scheme.
 So the old girl is getting there, I now just have to get her done before my eyesight and manual dexterity finally desert me altogether! Selection of photos follow.
 OSD

Oldishseadog

• Shipmate
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2022, 12:46:49 pm »

More Photos
OSD

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2022, 06:49:38 pm »

Absolutely beautiful work :-))
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.