Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ESC repairs  (Read 2201 times)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
ESC repairs
« on: August 14, 2014, 10:05:49 pm »

My son managed to wire the battery round the wrong way on our Vintage 1:24 Tamtech, and now the CPR (Combined 27mz RX & brushed ESC) is dead :(
Does anyone know of anyone who could repair this, as finding a replacement is a difficult (and expensive) option
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
Re: ESC repairs
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 11:12:27 pm »

Does anyone know of anyone who could repair this, as finding a replacement is a difficult (and expensive) option

Could or should ?   %)

Just look out for the frequent forum posters on the subject of rc electronic repairs. They should.

Keep track then ask one of them how many freebie repair jobs on transmitters, receivers, sail-winch servos, escs  and you'll find out if they could.
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 06:42:00 am »

Fair point....

I have had someone recommended on another forum, which I'm looking into, but it's always good to have options

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 07:06:58 am »

I have one of these units, and it went pop on me, so I had a poke around inside.

In my case, the ESC lost reverse, so I suspected the output transistors. These turned out to be fairly modest BJT's, not even mosfets, with no heatsinking so probably unsurprising I smoked them (running 2s lipo).

I'm not a collector or purist, so elected to exchange the electronics for something a little more current. I used a miniature 4-channel orange receiver and Thor 15 ESC with a servo amplifier from a mechanically knackered servo to replace the onboard unit. It all that fits easily within the footprint of the old CPR unit, and the original servo is retained (it's a bit of odd shape as I'm sure you know).

Result is a much nicer car to drive, smooth throttle, more power to the motor and the benefits of 2.4ghz R/C.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 08:17:39 am »

I had already looked into this and I have a combo 2.4Ghz rx/Esc from a 1:18 RC car that would do the job..... This is fine in the short term however, the car is intended to be a resto job so keeping the original parts would be preferable.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 08:32:15 am »

You can get the newer electronics into the original CPR unit box, so it looks stock, you would need a mock-up large aerial and crystal to complete the illusion.

What I can say about the original board, is that it is all SMD (apart from the BJT's) and the components used will be probably be difficult to find as they're all obsolete- so it's going to be a case of searching on ebay. Probably easier to look for a good used working unit.

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 12:47:10 pm »

Hi e2v.
 when you mentioned CPR unit (Cardiopulmonary resuscitation) I thought your model  needed the crash trolley... {-)

Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.