Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TID Tug Detail  (Read 4941 times)

mrsgoggins

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
TID Tug Detail
« on: July 13, 2007, 08:47:29 am »

Does anyone have info/pics of the engine room fan outlet on the port side. I have plenty of starboard pics of TID164 but none of the other side. The item is marked on the TID drawing in "British Steam Tugs" but no detail can be seen.
Keith
Chasing perfection but not running fast enough!

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
Re: TID Tug Detail
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 09:25:57 am »

not too clear but may help
daz

I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

mrsgoggins

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 10:06:04 am »

Thanks, but the outlet on the drawing is further aft, on the side of the engine casing.
Chasing perfection but not running fast enough!

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 04:21:26 pm »

I was informed some time ago that the engine room vents could be hinged either at the bottom or top according to the preference of the skipper.  Does anyone have the pukka version while we are on this subject?

-KEMO-

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 05:51:43 pm »

Hiya, I have just started building a TID, hoping to fit prop shaft and rudder this weekend. This is the only pic I have which shows what you mention (under the rung of the ladder) is there one on the starboard side as well?  I have the MMI plans but they do'nt show anything.

Keith.

kendalboatsman

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 06:42:10 pm »

Hi,

I am building an old pre PSShips Sirmar TID Tug that I purchased many years ago and put aside until I had a workshop, from what I can tell after looking at photos of other models and different plans there is no standard for the TID tug. Some have glazed portholes on the engine casing vents whilst others are just blank hinged steel plates. Also my plans state that there is a porthole only on the port side of the accomodation(?) access in front of the wheel house yet the photo of 164 clearly shows a porthole on the starboard side. The raised skylight shown in the photo in Kemo's post is shown as a flush porthole on my plans.

My best guess is that whilst the hull and superstructure is built to a standard plan they were fitted out to each owners specification, unless of course they were modified in later life? I personally will build it according to Adrian Brewers drawings and the fittings that were supplied. I look forward to seeing a glut of TIDs at the various shows.

Clive :)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 04:30:17 pm »

Hi,

I am building an old pre PSShips Sirmar TID Tug that I purchased many years ago and put aside until I had a workshop, from what I can tell after looking at photos of other models and different plans there is no standard for the TID tug. Some have glazed portholes on the engine casing vents whilst others are just blank hinged steel plates. Also my plans state that there is a porthole only on the port side of the accomodation(?) access in front of the wheel house yet the photo of 164 clearly shows a porthole on the starboard side. The raised skylight shown in the photo in Kemo's post is shown as a flush porthole on my plans.

My best guess is that whilst the hull and superstructure is built to a standard plan they were fitted out to each owners specification, unless of course they were modified in later life? I personally will build it according to Adrian Brewers drawings and the fittings that were supplied. I look forward to seeing a glut of TIDs at the various shows.

Somewhere there must have been some sort of gizmo to get the boiler ash from the stokehold to the deck for overside dumping. (assuming it is a coal fired one). The usual way was to hoist the buckets of ash up a vent and take the bucket out of a door on the vent at deck level. Then just chuck the contents over the side. Simple, efficient and definately not ecologically correct!
Notes from a simple seaman

kendalboatsman

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 11:22:43 pm »

Hello Bryan,

There is a davit alongside the funnel for removing the ash on a TID.

karbine

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 12:10:48 am »

Owl-Eagle

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 07:31:05 pm »

Go and see some pictures on my following topics    http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5589.0
Left and right side are the same on my.
I suppose it is this the original color of the TID 164 but I am not sure.

Francis.

-KEMO-

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 08:46:20 pm »

Hiya Owl-Eagle,
                     the original colour was the same as in Portside 11's pics except the funnell would have been

also if you go to

www.thesteammuseum.org/cervia.html

and scroll down you will see a pic of 164 in International Towing LTD livery when it was called 'Hercules'

Keith.

Owl-Eagle

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 09:21:49 am »

Hi Kemo

Tks for your answer, any idea of the name on the bows I have on mine " LONDON DOG " and " LONDON " on the stern ?

Francis
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 22 queries.